Can Your Your Natural Texture/Hair Color Not Suit You?

MonPetite

I'm starting to ponder this.

In October I will have spent a year knowing nothing but my napps having cut of 14" of silky relaxed hair to do so. Do I miss this length, heck yes. Did I need the emotional journey to let go of baggage? Heck, yes. Would I do it again? (A less enthusiastic) Yes.

I have to wonder though, seeing my hair this way without the 4a/3c curls GLOBS of conditioner left in can bring that everyone is halfway supportive of...sort of....Could it REALLY be my hair doesn't flatter me? The idea boggles my mind.

My fotki has pics of me relaxed, texlaxed, and natural and honestly...I miss how I looked with 1b-2a Wash and Wear hair flowing in the wind.

It could be because that is how it has ALWAYS been and this is the first year my hair has been anything else, so I realize I may be wanting the familiar. Plus the whole European Beauty idea blah-blah-blah.

Still...I see many "dishwater blondes" that look FAR better a dark brunette or true blond. I see MANY brunettes who look better auburn or "brond". I've seen true platinum blondes that look SO much better as a redhead.

I have honestly seen some pics of folks with natural hair whose faces are not best flattered by a TWA. Though that may be an issue of length not texture in relation to head size and shape.

I'm willing to accept I'm one of them.

If I am...I will go running back to nearly bone straight hair so fast it's not funny. My hair grows regardless.

I BCed because I WAS one of those women who relaxed to apologize to society for my naps.

I DID think natural hair as it is NOW on my OWN head was disgusting.

I had learned over the years being able to pass the "paper bag test" by a wide margin and having "growing hair" meant I should keep it straight from unspoken messages passed down to me as a child.

I needed to let go of that foolishness and know that my hair good or "bad" did not make me. I'm so glad I did!!

That over and done....I'm thinking about style and what would make ME happy (read: look best). Which is why I'm seriously wondering:

Are they right?

I like myself all three ways: relaxed, texlaxed, natural. Now that I can appreciate my natural hair AND relaxed hair and it's TRULY just a matter of style...I want to do what LOOKS best.

Make no mistake about it: I like long hair. Always had it and when my TWA grows out...always will. I won't be BCing again. What I go with in October will be how I pursue my terminal length goal of hiplength.

So...can it be possible that your natural texture DOESN'T suit you?

It happens with hair color...can texture be this way too?

ETA: To avoid sounding whiny and because some of the negative vibes were explained to me and I have a better POV of those around me in relation to my hair. Although my snarky side wonders why MY head is so important to those around me. My wiser side says to give a little to gain much from those I love in return.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Yes, it is possible for your natural hair color not to suit you. One of my friends Brittany has naturally light hair. It is very light with a gold undertone. Its a gorgeous shade but on her skin, it washes her out. It makes her look pasty. She takes very good care of her hair so its not that damage has made the color look bad. She rinses her hair on a regular basis with a coffee shade rinse and it just makes her skin glow.

I am not even going to say that texure can't be different. Its just that like your hair color, you can manipulate your texture with styling options. Some naturals don't like the way their hair looks in a puff so the do a twist out instead etc...... I think the reason why I don't look at this the same way to the same magnitude is because alot of the problem is that people haven't learned how to properly take care of and style their texture. Its a learning curve, especially when you have been relaxed for a long time. Sometimes you just need get the hang of it.

JustKiya

Personally, I don't think so, and I do, at the same time.
I, personally think that everyone is most beautiful naturally how they are.
At the same time, I also think that we have been socialized to accept x+y as the standard of beauty, and not x+z.
So, while x+z may be just as or more gorgeous than x+y - because it's not standard, it's not as beautiful.

ladylibra

^^^i can never get in these threads fast enough, Kiya always steals the words right outta my head and says them more eloquently :lachen:

*sighs and storms out of thread*

MonPetite

At the same time, I also think that we have been socialized to accept x+y as the standard of beauty, and not x+z.
So, while x+z may be just as or more gorgeous than x+y - because it's not standard, it's not as beautiful.

I agree with you here. Though I'm trying to find out how much is society's standard and what is truly pleasing to the eye on someone.

Pasty is not attractive. Biologically speaking it harks to weak genes you don't want to pass on. If your hair color makes you look pasty...it's not society, it's you don't look attractive -biologically speaking, and therefore look better with a color change because you look healthier whether it is a popular color in your society or not.

Now with texture...is there such an analogy to be made? If there is, I want to find it. Then figure out where I fit.

gymfreak336

I agree with you here. Though I'm trying to find out how much is society's standard and what is truly pleasing to the eye on someone.

Pasty is not attractive. Biologically speaking it harks to weak genes you don't want to pass on. If your hair color makes you look pasty...it's not society, it's you don't look attractive -biologically speaking, and therefore look better with a color change because you look healthier whether it is a popular color in your society or not.

Now with texture...is there such an analogy to be made? If there is, I want to find it. Then figure out where I fit.

Biologically no....socially yes

JustKiya

*nod* That, I do agree with - their are some beauty markers directly related to health.

However, I would still wonder how much of that pastiness was related to their health/diet (or weak genes :look:), and not their hair color, ya know??

glam-

Great post^^. I think you are absolutely right.

But, do what makes you feel happy Little Gold Lamb.

gymfreak336

*nod* That, I do agree with - their are some beauty markers directly related to health.

However, I would still wonder how much of that pastiness was related to their health/diet (or weak genes :look:), and not their hair color, ya know??

It usually was the diet or the genes...its just that the hair color gives the illusion of pastiness by making the natural contrast mimic the tonal pattern of pastiness.

Neith

I say yes.

Just because you're born with something doesn't mean it looks the best.

If I was born with a lumpy nose or a mole on my cheek, I'd want to have them fixed. Not that I was UGLY with them, I just look better without them.

Different hair styles suit different people. Not every single person looks good with every style.

Many people either have race issues or don't know the true potential of their fair...

However, it's not fair to assume someone who changes their hair texture or color automatically has deep seated issues or unhealthy hair practices... sometimes a hairstyle is just a hairstyle.

MonPetite

:lachen: Another reason I don't eat fast food. No really. I haven't had McDonald's and the like in YEARS. :look:

Biologically no....socially yes

Time will tell, but I must say I'm leaning this way.

Great post^^. I think you are absolutely right.

But, do what makes you feel happy Little Gold Lamb.

Thanks Glam! :grin:

I know even if I go back to chemicals my "loose" will never be "theirs". :ohwell:

Being totally natural for a year has made me not want to degrade my nature texture back to waves again. I REALLY like how it feels. :grin:

It's just...right...to me now. I may tex in the future but I'll always keep a true curl. Which is still too much "nappiness" for some. :rolleyes:

JustKiya

I say yes.

If I was born with a lumpy nose or a mole on my cheek, I'd want to have them fixed. Not that I was UGLY with them, I just look better without them.

Different hair styles suit different people. Not every single person looks good with every style.

Many people either have race issues or don't know the true potential of their hair...

However, it's not fair to assume someone who changes their hair texture or color automatically has deep seated issues or unhealthy hair practices... sometimes a hairstyle is just a hairstyle.

Definitely, definitely. :yep:

MonPetite

Good point. I agree with the rest of what you said as well...but this part bears repeating. Well said!

SoAnxious12

interesting question OP!

To answer your question, i say no. Many factor play into how a texture looks on someone. For Example, sally could look "silly" with a wng but great when she does a braid out. Or Sally's twa isn't flattering for her face, but her sl unstretched hair looks great. I think when someone'e texture doesn't make them look what they feel is their absolute best, then its more outside factors involved then the actual texture.

I seriously hope this makes sense... :perplexed

hopeful

Is it possible that your natural texture doesn't suit you?

Good question. I don't think that I've met anyone or seen a child and thought oh if his/her texture were such and such she/he'd be more attractive. Generally I think it is about style, where you would think someone looks better with longer hair, etc. I too have noticed what you said where one person looks like a doll with a twa and another doesn't (I know I did not look like a doll at all), but it mostly related to length and my big head, I think. I do think a persons hair texture may not suit them emotionally though. I think a woman's hair can bring her great joy and happiness or grief and frustration. I've come to realize that although I would love to be completely enlightened and understand all of the whys and hows, I just don't have the tenacity or energy. I just want to be happy. I wish your family would leave you alone and quit picking at you--you don't deserve it.

nomoweavesfome

I say yes.

Many people either have race issues or don't know the true potential of their fair...

great thread!! -
to answer the question yes.

I by all means do not I repeat absolutely do not look good with my natural hair. Stone me some mo - i don't care. But I know for a fact natural 4a/b/z hair does not work with my flow. but it's the same with anyhting else in life. clothes, etc.

It's not a self hate crap - i'm tired of that mess. You can love your hair, self clothes whatever but if it doesn't suit it just doesn't suit.
you can love your size 42 miniskirt, it doesn't mean that it is actually suiting you.

ok dodging the stones.

RegaLady

After another beat down over my texture not being attractive to my kin (currently natural and nappier than they thought when I picked out my 4 inch fro into a mass of sheeny, soft, 4b-looking goodness) I'm starting to ponder this.

In October I will have spent a year knowing nothing but my napps having cut of 14" of silky relaxed hair to do so. Do I miss this length, heck yes. Did I need the emotional journey to let go of baggage? Heck, yes. Would I do it again? (A less enthusiastic) Yes.

I have to wonder though, seeing my hair this way without the 4a/3c curls GLOBS of conditioner left in can bring that everyone is halfway supportive of...sort of....Could it REALLY be my hair doesn't flatter me? The idea boggles my mind.

My fotki has pics of me relaxed, texlaxed, and natural and honestly...I miss how I looked with 1b-2a Wash and Wear hair flowing in the wind.

It could be because that is how it has ALWAYS been and this is the first year my hair has been anything else, so I realize I may be wanting the familiar. Plus the whole European Beauty idea blah-blah-blah.

Still...I see many "dishwater blondes" that look FAR better a dark brunette or true blond. I see MANY brunettes who look better auburn or "brond". I've seen true platinum blondes that look SO much better as a redhead.

I have honestly seen some pics of folks with natural hair whose faces are not best flattered by a TWA. Though that may be an issue of length not texture in relation to head size and shape.

I'm willing to accept I'm one of them.

If I am...I will go running back to nearly bone straight hair so fast it's not funny. My hair grows regardless.

I BCed because I WAS one of those women who relaxed to apologize to society for my naps.

I DID think natural hair as it is NOW on my OWN head was disgusting.

I had learned over the years being able to pass the "paper bag test" by a wide margin and having "growing hair" meant I should keep it straight from unspoken messages passed down to me as a child.

I needed to let go of that foolishness and know that my hair good or "bad" did not make me. I'm so glad I did!!

That over and done....I'm thinking about style and what would make ME happy (read: look best). Which is why I'm seriously wondering:

Are they right?

I like myself all three ways: relaxed, texlaxed, natural. Now that I can appreciate my natural hair AND relaxed hair and it's TRULY just a matter of style...I want to do what LOOKS best.

Make no mistake about it: I like long hair. Always had it and when my TWA grows out...always will. I won't be BCing again. What I go with in October will be how I pursue my terminal length goal of hiplength.

So...can it be possible that your natural texture DOESN'T suit you?

It happens with hair color...can texture be this way too?

OP, I would have to agree that is a burning shallow question that I have for myself.:rolleyes: Except I am not talking about texture, but about length. I have worn short, relaxed hair for years, and I am VERY confident and comfortable in it. However, it seems society thinks a woman having long, straight hair is more desirable, so I have tucked away my comfort in order to try to conform.:ohwell: I hate to say it, but I have. I don't think having less hair makes me less attractive or feminine than the next woman. However, I realized at the end of the day, physically I want what looks best on me, and makes me feel great!
What am I trying to say, I always say go with what makes you feel your best. Experimenting is fun and helps you find what works for you. I know people shouldn't listen to other people, but when many people compliment you on a particular style or color, it probably is the most flattering.
I am trying this all out, because it is a process, that it is fun to go through. Do what makes you happy, you may be over analyzing it!:grin:
Also, while I think that some texture would look better straightened, I don't think God made a mistake in the texture that he gave us. Society is the blame for this>:ohwell:

KEWLKAT103

ITA :yep:

RegaLady

great thread!! -
to answer the question yes.

I by all means do not I repeat absolutely do not look good with my natural hair. Stone me some mo - i don't care. But I know for a fact natural 4a/b/z hair does not work with my flow. but it's the same with anyhting else in life. clothes, etc.

It's not a self hate crap - i'm tired of that mess. You can love your hair, self clothes whatever but if it doesn't suit it just doesn't suit.
you can love your size 42 miniskirt, it doesn't mean that it is actually suiting you.

ok dodging the stones.
ITA.. And because something is the norm and popular doesn't also make it fitting. No matter how good it looks on 20 other ladies.:perplexed

MonPetite

Hopeful, thank you for your concern. :yep: Actually a bit of their POV was explained in a way I'd never realized and I understand things that have been happening far more.

OP, I would have to agree that is a burning shallow question that I have for myself.
Not shallow! Your emotional state and the things that can alter it aren't to be trivialized! :drunk:

ITA.. And because something is the norm and popular doesn't also make it fitting. No matter how good it looks on 20 other ladies.:perplexed

Co-sign!!!

Such great responses ladies! As always you raise points I haven't thought of! I need to stop posting all these introspective threads and occaisionally start a thread about shampoo. :lachen:

On a serious note, I greatly appreciate all of you taking your time to honestly and thoughtfully reply! Thank you!

RegaLady

Hopeful, thank you for your concern. :yep: Actually a bit of their POV was explained in a way I'd never realized and I understand things that have been happening far more.

OP, I would have to agree that is a burning shallow question that I have for myself.
Not shallow! Your emotional state and the things that can alter it aren't to be trivialized! :drunk:

Co-sign!!!

Such great responses ladies! As always you raise points I haven't thought of! I need to stop posting all these introspective threads and occaisionally start a thread about shampoo. :lachen:

On a serious note, I greatly appreciate all of you taking your time to honestly and thoughtfully reply! Thank you!
:lachen::lachen: I always welcome those, because lord knows I will get all introspective in here. I always ask those questions to my DH or sister. I know, they are like, "SHUT UP!:rolleyes:" Lol, but you are fine!:yep:
We have very smart and deep sistas here!:grin:

GeauXavi

Great thread:yep:

I cut my hair to go natural in '06... my family totally hated it...and now that I am permed, they tell me not to EVER do it again...My mom says that the look just didnt "suit" me, and that I just look better with permed hair...

My linesisters/ best friend, however LOVED my hair...they were so upset when I permed my hair, and still are...go figure....

here is a pic of me (and LS on the left) at about 8 months natural... I permed about 2 months later after a heat damage incident:wallbash:

anon123

Good question. I don't think that I've met anyone or seen a child and thought oh if his/her texture were such and such she/he'd be more attractive. Generally I think it is about style, where you would think someone looks better with longer hair, etc. I too have noticed what you said where one person looks like a doll with a twa and another doesn't (I know I did not look like a doll at all), but it mostly related to length and my big head, I think. I do think a persons hair texture may not suit them emotionally though. I think a woman's hair can bring her great joy and happiness or grief and frustration. I've come to realize that although I would love to be completely enlightened and understand all of the whys and hows, I just don't have the tenacity or energy. I just want to be happy. I wish your family would leave you alone and quit picking at you--you don't deserve it.

I agree.

Again I'm going to voice a potentially unpopular view just because it is the truth in my eyes. In general, if a black woman has perfect 3b curls, it is rare that she and black society at large thinks that her hair is unflattering to her. When they do, the more flattering texture is usually something lower on that number scale. The tighter the texture, the fewer obvious curls and more cottony afro texture, the more likely it is that people start to feel like that is unflattering. I do not think that this strong tendency is reflection of what naturally looks good on someone. I think this is a result of socialization. Otherwise we would see a more random distribution with "oh, she has Rachel True but she'd really look better with India Arie" hair just as often as the reverse. But we do not see this, at least I don't. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, of course there are. But I do believe there is a strong tendency to find looser more defined curls as more flattering in general. If not a result of socialization, then we'd have to say that this is somehow inherently biologically true that tighter less defined kinks and coils are, what is the mildest way I can put this?, less pretty.

jenteel

I agree.

Again I'm going to voice a potentially unpopular view just because it is the truth in my eyes. In general, if a black woman has perfect 3b curls, it is rare that she and black society at large thinks that her hair is unflattering to her. When they do, the more flattering texture is usually something lower on that number scale. The tighter the texture, the fewer obvious curls and more cottony afro texture, the more likely it is that people start to feel like that is unflattering. I do not think that this strong tendency is reflection of what naturally looks good on someone. I think this is a result of socialization. Otherwise we would see a more random distribution with "oh, she has Rachel True but she'd really look better with India Arie" hair just as often as the reverse. But we do not see this, at least I don't. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, of course there are. But I do believe there is a strong tendency to find looser more defined curls as more flattering in general. If not a result of socialization, then we'd have to say that this is somehow inherently biologically true that tighter less defined kinks and coils are, what is the mildest way I can put this?, less pretty.

u speak the truth sis!
i have never heard that :grin:

nomoweavesfome

I agree.

I DON'T CARE HOW UNPOPULAR THIS MAY ALL SOUND, BUT ON A PSYCHOLOGICAL NOTE IT IS TRUE, AND I AGREE WITH THIS THEORY. IN MY PSYCH CLASS WE LEARNED ABOUT VISUAL STIMULATION AMONGST INDIVIDUALS AND HOW IT IS PROVEN THAT CERTAIN FACIAL SHAPES AND FEATURE ARE MORE OR LESS FLATTERING THAN OTHERS. SO IF INDEED THIS CAN BE WHAT'S CONSIDERED MORE OR LESS ACCEPTABLE, SURELY ANOTHER ADDED FEATURE SUCH AS HAIR WOULD BE CONSIDERED AS WHAT IS MORE OR LESS ACCEPTABLE AS WELL. MEAN IT IS A GOOD AND VALID POINT.

I STILL DON'T CARE WHAT THE HECK IS ACCEPTABLE OR NOT - I JUST KNOW THAT MY 4A/B/Z HAIR DOES NOT SUIT ME. LOL
AND SOROR, CONQUEROR_AKA, LIKES THE PUFF, BUT LOVE THE STEP TEAM SWANG- YA KNOW WHAT i'M SAYIN?

SKEE WEE

tocktick

co-sign. when i look at someone, if i don't like their hair, i find that it's not their texture that's the problem. it's either the colour, style, length or healthiness of the hair that's the issue.

tocktick

I agree.

ita. you will always hear of more type 4s having issues mentally adjusting to being natural than type 3s and it's obvious why. jmho.

ladylibra

okay but once upon a time in Europe, pasty was the thing to be. didn't they rub mercury into their faces to look as ghostly white as possible? that was proof that you were "upper society" because you didn't have to work outside like the common folk, so the sun didn't bake your skin.

of course that changed in more recent times because there were more middle class people working INSIDE, the thing to be is tan now because it proves you DON'T spend all your time working inside... you have time/money to go on vacation (or at least go down the street to the tanning bed :lol: )

some beauty standards change over time. some of course, don't... mwedzi mentioned that the Rachel Trues of the world don't get critizied as having "unfitting" hair. i beg to differ though. many times i hear people say that the Rachel Trues of the world need to straighten their hair too. looser textures may be more "desirable" in the eyes of some, but it's still the same ol' same ol' - the quest for long straight hair.

all i know LGL, is you have to do what makes you happy. sometimes straightening my hair makes me happy. sometimes picking it out into a 4b cottonball makes me happy. mostly, leaving it in its coily shrunken state makes me happy, so that's what i do. :yep:

anon123

some beauty standards change over time. some of course, don't... mwedzi mentioned that the Rachel Trues of the world don't get critizied as having "unfitting" hair. i beg to differ though. many times i hear people say that the Rachel Trues of the world need to straighten their hair too. looser textures may be more "desirable" in the eyes of some, but it's still the same ol' same ol' - the quest for long straight hair.

Just wanted to be clear so I don't get misquoted, I actually did not say that. I said:

I agree.

In general, if a black woman has perfect 3b curls, it is rare that she and black society at large thinks that her hair is unflattering to her. When they do, the more flattering texture is usually something lower on that number scale. The tighter the texture, the fewer obvious curls and more cottony afro texture, the more likely it is that people start to feel like that is unflattering. I do not think that this strong tendency is reflection of what naturally looks good on someone. I think this is a result of socialization. Otherwise we would see a more random distribution with "oh, she has Rachel True but she'd really look better with India Arie" hair just as often as the reverse. But we do not see this, at least I don't. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, of course there are. But I do believe there is a strong tendency to find looser more defined curls as more flattering in general. If not a result of socialization, then we'd have to say that this is somehow inherently biologically true that tighter less defined kinks and coils are, what is the mildest way I can put this?, less pretty.

Nomoweaves, why yelling? Just so I am clear about what you are saying, are you truly saying that you believe type 4 hair is naturally uglier?