Can Your Body Become Immune To Hair Vitamins?

sunflora

Flowah Powah
The biggest side effects of taking hair vitamins is yellow urine. I notice anytime I take hair vitamins my urine is bright yellow, even if I drink quite a lot of water, it still is at least faint. Three months in, I notice my urine is generally clear again, even when I haven't yet had a lot of water for the day - I would need two liters when I first started.

Is this a result of my body becoming used to the amount of vitamins? Does this mean any results I had experiences before (nails, hair) will regulate back to normal? And my worst fear is, if I stop taking the vitamin will I experience hair loss?

Daina

The biggest side effects of taking hair vitamins is yellow urine. I notice anytime I take hair vitamins my urine is bright yellow, even if I drink quite a lot of water, it still is at least faint. Three months in, I notice my urine is generally clear again, even when I haven't yet had a lot of water for the day - I would need two liters when I first started.

Is this a result of my body becoming used to the amount of vitamins? Does this mean any results I had experiences before (nails, hair) will regulate back to normal? And my worst fear is, if I stop taking the vitamin will I experience hair loss?

Three months feels a little fast to build up a tolerance. I generally like to give supplements at least 6 months to judge efficacy. My main HSN vitamin I try to alternate annually. For the last year I've been taking Beautifully Bamboo. In September I will go back to Hair La Vie for a year. The change in urine could be a number of things and I've found that when most people think they're drinking a lot of water it's really not. The brighter colored urine could be a result of that...typically at most I'll notice a change the first few days and then I up my water game even more. My goal is a gallon a day and when I make that mark my urine is basically see through regardless of what supps I'm taking.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I took the same vitamins for years without issues. I noticed more shedding when I didn’t take vitamins when relaxed. It wasn’t an alarming increase but an increase nonetheless. Shedding seems consistent as natural with or without vitamins. The more water I drink, the more see through my urine is. My goal is half my body weight in ounces.

VictoriousBrownFlower

No I don't think the body can become immune to vitamins but I do believe it can get accustomed to it which can cause you to not get as many if any side effects but still reap the benefits.

I think your body wasn't use to the extra b vitamins so urinated it out but over time started absorbing them more efficiently kinda like biotin/acne.

Kindheart

You need to drink more water if your urine is yellow /dark yellow means you re dehydrated. As for the pills staining your urine ,it’s normal ,again just drink more water to flush it out .
I haven’t noticed a difference when I stopped taking hair vitamins , I took nature bounty for 2 months and had really bad shedding. I was taking the pill at the same time so that might have been the cause .

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I don't think my original post is being read correctly. I understand that vitamins may change the color of urine, and I expect that when I take them. I noticed that over time, the change is not noticable even when (I don't think) I have had the large amount of water that is generally necessary to make it clear again. This makes it seem as if my body is used to the amount of vitamins and no longer experiences an excess, or no longer needs extra water to balance out the excess.

I hope what I'm describing makes more sense.

PlanetCybertron

There’s a lot more to consider when talking about vitamins and your body.

It isn’t so much your body getting “used” to vitamins, as it is the metabolic processes your body goes through regularly deciding how much, for how long,when, and where to put to use the vitamins and minerals you ingest.

Even if your urine has a yellowish tint or is a hue darker doesn’t always means the vitamins have anything to do with it. It could be reactions to medication, your metabolism, stress, what you’ve eaten that day, how much sleep you did or did not get, and sometimes it can very well be caused by too many vitamins and minerals or a lacktherof.

No you won’t experience hair loss, or any growth regression. Your body, hair, and vitamins have a bit more varying and somewhat complex relationship than that.

It’s of more influence to brush up on metabolic processes to further understand how minerals and vitamins play a role in hair growth. They aren’t the only or even main triggers of it, and while they can effect it, they more or less supplement it. Your hair in general, is a byproduct of what your body does after it’s metabolized keratin, amino acids, and a few more minerals I can remember at this moment. From what I understand in past studies I had been assigned concerning metabolism and energy production, it’s mostly a matter of how efficient your body is at handling energy, in whatever form it’s been received. Which is why a lot of studies have linked metabolism with hair growth, hair loss, and genetic traits concerning length, graying, and scalp health/issues. While your body has different metabolic categories concerning metabolism, and your cells and protein functions have their own specific genetic sets of instructions, they are still influenced by energy output and input, and your overall metabolism concerning your body as a single working unit.

While there’s a lot more specific and in depth explanations on stuff like this, I just gave a very generalized sum of things. Which I probably shouldn’t do, concerning accuracy, but I don’t think it’ll hurt anything.

Tying this in with vitamin supplementation is dependent on the metabolic functions your body carries out. Your progression doesn’t always have to stagnate or regulate. If you play around enough and examine any feedback you get from your body or your hair and continue to tweak and adjust if you need to, you can still increase growth rate. I’m not sure for how long though. And that’s dependent on you and your personal life, and/or preferences for how you take care of yourself and your hair.

Last edited:

Sarabellam

Not an answer but a framework for thinking about your question:

The highlighter neon color that many people see in their urine after taking multivitamins is from excess b vitamins. The way that our bodies processes the vitamin during initial absorption gives it a green/ highlighter yellow color. ( I’m not sure about the actual chemical process that causes this and I’m ok with that lol). Once in the blood our circulatory system pushes the blood all over our body and the b vitamins get taken up as needed by our organs ( liver, skin, heart, eyes, etc). Again I’m not sure if b vitamins are further metabolized by the liver or kidney. However, each kidney also filters the blood that goes through it to make urine. If you are seeing less evidence of excess b vitamins in your urine it could be caused by 4 things.

1. Your gut lining is not absorbing the vitamins as well as it used to so less of it gets in your blood. The gut lining is a pretty consistent sponge that doesn’t selectively stop absorbing because “you’ve had enough of a substance”. This is why people can get toxic levels of substances that get stored in the body by consuming way too much over a period of time.

2. Your organs are utilizing more of the b vitamins in your blood so less of it gets to your kidneys for filtering. Probably most likely.

3. Your kidneys aren’t doing a good job of filtering your blood. ( This is highly unlikely in a healthy person because the kidneys filter funky stuff that would make you feel very sick if they weren’t doing their job properly).

4. The process for metabolizing b vitamins into the highliter green form has reduced. I don’t know the mechanism for this process. This seems less likely because enzymes tend to work consistently unless you consume another substance that alters their ability to work or you become very sick. (Off topic but this is why you should always be upfront with your doctor about supplement use and unusual diet habits like taking saint john’s wort or eating grapefruits everyday as they can alter how your body processes even mundane things like birth control. Also be vigilant and read up on things yourself. Even the most trustworthy physicians have off moments and don’t pick up on things.)

kupenda

I don't think my original post is being read correctly. I understand that vitamins may change the color of urine, and I expect that when I take them. I noticed that over time, the change is not noticable even when (I don't think) I have had the large amount of water that is generally necessary to make it clear again. This makes it seem as if my body is used to the amount of vitamins and no longer experiences an excess, or no longer needs extra water to balance out the excess.

I hope what I'm describing makes more sense.

Your post was read correctly, and answers have been provided.

Did someone tell you that you need to drink more water to prevent your urine being neon? I’ve never heard someone say that before. I’ve always been told that it’s a byproduct of the vitamins and it’s completely normal. Neon urine isn’t an issue that needs to be flushed from my (limited) understanding

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Your post was read correctly, and answers have been provided.

Did someone tell you that you need to drink more water to prevent your urine being neon? I’ve never heard someone say that before. I’ve always been told that it’s a byproduct of the vitamins and it’s completely normal. Neon urine isn’t an issue that needs to be flushed from my (limited) understanding

I'm not an expert on any of this, but I either read of heard from other vitamin takers that the excess seen in the urine means that your body is not properly absorbing the nutrients and is just flushing out all of the excess, as @Sarabellam explained very well.

I might be getting that confused with dark urine in general signalling dehydration, and drinking water until urine is clear. Perhaps that forced me into the habit to always make sure I was seeing clear? However, other people noted that break-outs are another result of excess in vitamins not being properly processed by your body, and to that, drinking more water was the solution. I think I cross-associated these two different symptoms....

I work on computers for a living. I hate no idea. :lol: