Can you wash out a relaxer?

Guess?Girl

I wash my hair once a week. Usually, after the second the second week, my hair loses the texture that it had when i first go the touch-up. My mother says that by me washing so often, the relaxer is being washed out. But that doesn't make any sense to me. How can you wash a relaxer out? Please respond. /images/graemlins/band.gif

pebbles

Hi Guess?Girl,

I used to think I could wash out a relaxer with beer or something like that, but you can't. A relaxer is a chemical that breaks down bonds and changes the structure of your hair, literally. There is no way to change that or wash it out. You're hair can appear kinky after a while, but once it's been chemically altered, that's it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

no you cant. the hair can appear fluffier and "curlier" but it has already been broken down and altered.
I remember my mom's friend used to tell me that vinegar "stripped" the relaxer from your hair, come to find out later that aplle cider vinegar is actually used to close cuticles!

Compassion

Guess Girl, I read somewhere that your relaxer has to grow out. I guess that's why you have to get it cut off, before you put another chemical treatment on. If it were as simple as washing it out, I would probably do that from time to time--when I get tired of my relaxer. But nope, it has to grow out. Hope this helps. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Compassion

G

A relaxer grows out but can't be washed out.

I've had a problem with that too. Hair nice and straight and then after I wash it, it is wavy/curly again. Come to find out, the relaxer just wasn't applied correctly! It just texturized in some areas, rather than straightened.

hairfanatic

Guess?Girl,

No you can't. I'm sure a lot of people wish they could. The only way to get it out of your head is to cut off the relaxed hair or let it grow out. Some say that it actually takes five years to get the chemicals totally out of your system.