Can you help me? I have questions about blowdrying

Tara

I want to know what do you absolutly LOVE to put on your hair BEFORE blowdrying so that it comes out feeling soft and silky? (edited to add, when my hair is blowdried it always comes out "silky" or very straight, but feels like dried leaves lately when she blowdries it)

I did a search on Blowdry but what came up were the words blow dry, but not what to put on your hair as a heat protectant.

Although I did see one post that mentioned Elasta QP.

My hairdresser when she blowdries my hair (for trims) uses either NOTHING /images/graemlins/mad.gif or Phorme, and let me tell you no matter how soft my hair is when I walk in there, it's crisp like hay after she blowdries it /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

She used to use some great stuff to blowdry my hair and it would feel really soft but she *claims* she can't remember what it was, AND she doesn't use it anymore so....

I want to buy my OWN product and bring it into the shop so anything you all can recommend would be appreciated by myself and of course my hair!!

Thanks in advance!

Tracy

Tarasita....

Aciete!

Oil is always a wonderful choice before blowouts. One that doesn't scorch easily is probably best.

Valleygirl also recommended products with something called Phentatriol or something like that - it's an ingredient that is superior as far as protecting the hair from direct heat and leaving it soft. There's a product called Damage Free or something that she recommends specifically...

Before I blow my roots I also always use a serum.

Maybe some of these might help? Hope so... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NAY007

As Tracy already mentioned serums are pretty good, but I think they only take the frizz away and won't protect your hair enough from the heat.
Right now I use the heat protectant spray from African Pride. My hair is not sloppy wet but rather damp when I start blow drying in sections. So first I spray the section with the African Pride Spray. When the section is 70 % dry I apply a mixture of Pink Oil Moisturizing Lotion and Frizz Ease Cream ( I think it's call wind down, or calm down, hmmm I don't know right now, I'm at work, so when I get home I will check.) The Frizz Ease alone is not enough moisture for my hair.
I would try the Pink Oil, I have been using it for years and it's still one of the best imo. I would be careful with oils, because they tend to make my hair too oily too quick, I always need something with oil but also moisture that will penetrate the hair. I use oil after all my hair is dry to give it shine and to keep flyaways in check. I think that oil can work wonders though when you roller set your hair. If you have anymore questions, let me know..
Nay /images/graemlins/drunk.gif.

Karonica

Hot 6 Oil is really good. Adds a nice glimmer, particularly to brown hair! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I'm going to go home and blowdry my hair tonight, after condition rinsing of course. You all hooked me onto that! I don't think it should cause much damage.

Do you all recommend condition rinsing before blow-drying, or regular shampooing, blah blah blah? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tara

Ola Tracy and Nay! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Tracy so much for mentioning the ingredient to look for. Dang! We are some educated ladies on this board aint we? I LOVE IT!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif (you know I'll be on my way to the store...) BTW Tracy, so I "claim" to have kicked my PJ habit and I pretty much have ...BUT!

TELL ME WHY THEY JUST BUILT A NEW BEAUTY SUPPLY STORE LIKE 3 minutes from my house???!!! It's got everything!!! Sigh, girl, I have to fight the urge daily to pull over. Plus they have stuff that's usually hard to find like Phyto, and Alterna etc. etc. so......... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif but I'll be strong and wait to buy a new conditioner when I run out of my OLD ones!! LOL!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nay,

I really appreciate your suggestion of the African Pride heat protectant. I didn't even know they made one. See, again, another reason to go to Sally's, and I have to blame someone!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif I haven't ever tried Luster's Pink oil to blow dry. I like the combination you suggested with the serum and so I'll try to see if I can find the African Pride Heat Stuff.

Well, I'll let you all know how it goes because I HAVE to get my hair blowdried, because I'm getting my hair braided this coming week and the braider doesn't know how to braid hair unless it's blowdried. So since I plan on getting my hair re-braided once per month, I may have to search for someone new. I don't know if blow-drying (even if that seldom) will be healthy for my hair at this point.

I appreciate you guys for answering me!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tara

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Karonica said:
Hot 6 Oil is really good. Adds a nice glimmer, particularly to brown hair! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I'm going to go home and blowdry my hair tonight, after condition rinsing of course. You all hooked me onto that! I don't think it should cause much damage.

Do you all recommend condition rinsing before blow-drying, or regular shampooing, blah blah blah? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Karonica!!

First of all, I wuv your little panda bear, that is TOO cute!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Um...I got you hooked on the Conditioner washes eh? Well, I do what I can /images/graemlins/wink.gif (LOL!) No, seriously I'm glad you like them!!

That's a tough one (about the blow drying) I plan on just doing my conditiioner wash at home before I get it blowdried. I did have my hair blowdried recently for a trim and my hair wasn't "dirty", so.......

But if you feel more comfortable, you may want to shampoo like normal, condition etc.

Now, see, I think I already have some Hot 6 oil (that I need to use up anyway) so maybe I'll do that on my first blowdry.

Hi Destinee I also have some Dudley's......

Hmmm....o.k. maybe I should take the advice and mix some oill with Dudley's (hopefully that will be as good as the Pink Oil) and a serum.

That way I *think* I'll be following everyone's advice using what I already have in my closet. Although I may have to go purchase a heat protectant with that ingredient in it just in case so I can protect AND lubricate with my blowdry.

I appreciate the responses!! As usual you guys know you are the bomb!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914

tara, valleygirl recommends New Image Damage Free Thermal Active Root Lift from Sally's:

i've never used it, but i'm gonna get some for the next time i blow dry myself. i think i might get my hair done this week.

adrienne

kenyana

Tara said:
I want to know what do you absolutly LOVE to put on your hair BEFORE blowdrying so that it comes out feeling soft and silky?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have nothing on my hair when i'm blowdrying it. I'm guessing that the protein in leave-in conditioners and serums would probably degenerate in the heat, coat the hair and end up not working as well as they should. I don't use oils either coz they'd fry my hair once it got hot and oiled hair takes a longer while &amp; requires more heat for it to dry... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif
AFTER I'm done blowdrying, I use a silicone-containing moisturiser /images/graemlins/lick.gif (Sof'n free n' pretty carrot oil creme ) and roll my hair into a bun for a few hrs to let the moisture soak back into the hair. My hair comes out from the bun feeling soft and silky /images/graemlins/smile.gif
If you get your hair blow dried by a stylist, you can't really control how much heat gets to your hair... its all in her hands! So I understand your need for a product to protect it "just in case". I do my own blowdries. I'm very careful to keep the hot air directed more toward the hair nearer the scalp where its wetter and NEVER toward the hair ends that get dry very fast anyway. (Stylists, I noticed, tend to blow dry the frizzy drier ends in an attempt to get them straight... pity coz there are other less damaging ways to get frizzy hair straight!)

I would definitely rec. that you try getting your hands on Keracare Silken Seal, the serum, not the spray. It does what it says which is 'eases the glide of the comb through the hair' during a blow out and it makes the hair come out silky straight.

I had this recc'd to me by 2 completely diff. salons once years ago it works. My hair was like glass when it was used. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Titansgirl

Hi Tara, when I blow dry my hair, I always use New Image Damage Free leave-in conditioner. You can purchase this at Sally's. I know that this product has been discontinued, but Sally's might still have a few. It is currently on sale for .99. This product is wonderful!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif It leaves your air soft and manageable. I normally blowdry my air on the cool setting and it still comes out soft and straight. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope you can find some. This product is a must have /images/graemlins/smile.gif I brought 10 bottles so I can have a stash for awhile since it was beign discontinued /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Allandra

adrienne0914 said:
tara, valleygirl recommends New Image Damage Free Thermal Active Root Lift from Sally's:

i've never used it, but i'm gonna get some for the next time i blow dry myself. i think i might get my hair done this week.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the New Image Damage Free Thermal Active Conditioning Styler that ValleyGirl uses (and recommended to several of us here). It's still being sold at Sally Beauty Supply, but it's being discontinued.

Titansgirl

Allandra, you are right! /images/graemlins/smile.gif The correct name of the product is "New Image Damage Free Active Conditioning Styler". This is the product that I use. There are several threads on this product. This product has been discontinued, but you can still find it at some Sallys.

Tara, if you do a search for "New Image", you can find several threads on heat protectants and this product. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Honey01

I haven't blowdryed myself in awhile however, one product that has been in staple for years is TCB Thermal Blow-dry Lotion. It offers protectant and also formulated to extend the life of your relaxer by getting roots straighter. Plus, it makes you hair bouncy. I LOVE bouncy hair.

lala

Allandra said:
adrienne0914 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the New Image Damage Free Thermal Active Conditioning Styler that ValleyGirl uses (and recommended to several of us here). It's still being sold at Sally Beauty Supply, but it's being discontinued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra, thanks you saved me a trip. I'm on my way to Sally's and was just double-checking the name. I would have been making a U-turn /images/graemlins/drunk.gif.

Nzinga

Recently I blowdried my hair using John Frieda Relax Texture Correcting Serum and John Frieda Relax Blow Dry Lotion, and I was very pleased with the results.

The technique I used was I applied the serum while my hair was soaking wet, right out of the shower and then I let it air dry until it was just damp. I applied the Blowdry lotion throughout my hair, sectioned it in 4 parts and blow dried each section with the comb attachment on the blowdryer.

I had not blowdried my hair myself in over a year but I wanted a really sleek look ( a change from the roller sets, etc.)

By the way I am a new member and thank everyone from the ideas and tips I have learned on this site, I really love the condition washes with the Suave Tropical Coconut!

Allandra

Nzinga said:
Recently I blowdried my hair using John Frieda Relax Texture Correcting Serum and John Frieda Relax Blow Dry Lotion, and I was very pleased with the results.

The technique I used was I applied the serum while my hair was soaking wet, right out of the shower and then I let it air dry until it was just damp. I applied the Blowdry lotion throughout my hair, sectioned it in 4 parts and blow dried each section with the comb attachment on the blowdryer.

I had not blowdried my hair myself in over a year but I wanted a really sleek look ( a change from the roller sets, etc.)

By the way I am a new member and thank everyone from the ideas and tips I have learned on this site, I really love the condition washes with the Suave Tropical Coconut!

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the LHCF. Your blow drying technique sounds great. Would you say the serum gave you a sleek look or the blow dry lotion or both?

hairfanatic

What I absolutely love was my KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm and blowdrying on COLD. This did wonders for my hair and made it straight as if it was a relaxer.
It also protected my hair with heat but I would also follow up with a light oil like olive oil or Nexxus botanical oil.

Nzinga

Hi Allandra, Thanks for the welcome. In answer to your question I think the combination of the two products helped to give me excellent results. I have been using the serum for the past month everytime I wash my hair and when I decided to blow dry it since I had such good results from John Frieda's serum I decided to try the blow dry lotion ( I won't do it often, I know it's not good for my hair to use heat often.)

Tara

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, I've tried all of them and my hair comes out nice and soft after blowdrying.

I recently even tried a little bit of WOC Gel and blowdried, came out nice and soft too on that one section.

So thanks to everyone that responded. Now if I could only do my own extensions and cornrow, I'd be hairdresser FREE!!

beana3

I do what Nay007 does, i blow dry my hair after is has been combed and detangled... then i apply a serum and wait a few minutes. then i blow it out until about 80% dry and apply a lil olive oil and it looks really shiney after i'm done. Plus i love the swing blow dried hair gives

Tara

Re: Can you help me? I have questions about blowdr

I try to blow dry once every two years or if I get a trim. But this braider asked that I blowdry my hair. When I got there and she felt that my hair was soft, she said that I don't have to blow dry my hair next time (Thank Goodnes)

So for me, I don't blow dry my hair to wear it, I just blow dry it for trimming or in this case if the braider requests it.

beana3

[ QUOTE ]
How often are you guys blowdrying?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been real bad about it... i usually do it every weekend. I'm sticking to it though because i have not noticed aything negative (i'm watching my hair very closely
)
I'm blowing it out so often because i like the way my hair looks afterwards, its so much easier than wet setting my hair AND waiting 1 hour 30mins under the dryer, plus i loose less hair during the week. I do not use a brush, i use a wide tooth comb attachment on a warm setting.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)

I've blown my hair dry in the past once a week. I did not use the attachments. I always used a rubber/plastic brush. It takes two hands to do it that way, but I never experienced any breakage from doing it once/week.

carrie

thanks guys. I was thinking about doing it maybe once a week and just be careful.

MissM

In response to the how often are we blow drying question, I just wanted to add that I also blow dry/flat iron once a week and my hair is very healthy. I use the Motions leave in (forget the name of it).

Trinity1

Is everyone in this thread still blow drying once a week? If so,what are the results so far?

Tee Tee

lala

I blowdry weekly b/c I get impatient sitting under the dryer. I live in a humid climate and even with the a/c on my hair takes hours to dry.

I've been using L'oreal Liss Extreme Leave in Treatment before my blowdry. My hair loves it. I even use it on dry hair to smooth frizzies.