Can we give mineral oil a second chance

aikaa71

"mineral oil. Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions and can't become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil's association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil, it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40)."

The above is an excerpt from paula’s choice website. I have been wondering if this is not good ,why are they still a lot of products that use this as part of the ingredients? A lot of baby products use mineral oil as well. Since we have all learned the proper steps to hair care, could we not give this product a second chance. I have recently started using the motions oil moisuriser and I am very happy with it although it contains mineral oil.

kitten73

I personally have never experienced any dryness from products that contained mineral oil. I believe any damage that may occur will be from the list of chemicals, additives, preservatives and all the other bad things that aren't natural in most hair products. I know if we all took inventory of all the products our moms and grandmoms used on our hair when we were kids (those who had full, long thick hair), we would find that they all contained mineral oil. just my personal opinion

DigitalRain

What I don't like about mineral oil is it doesnt absorb, it just sits on top the scalp & hair. I can apply jojoba or coconut and still not have greasy oily hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For those who detest mineral oil...how do u know this is the exact ingredient that messes up your hair? And do not base it on hearsay and articles you have read. Most products have mineral oil in them. How do u know mineral oil and petroleum are the problem???

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
For those who detest mineral oil...how do u know this is the exact ingredient that messes up your hair? And do not base it on hearsay and articles you have read. Most products have mineral oil in them. How do u know mineral oil and petroleum are the problem???

[/ QUOTE ]

Because my hair has thrived without them.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How do u know? Do u use a product that doesn't have them in it? What did mineral oil and petroleum exactly do to your hair?

Honi

There is no board.
Great example....Pink Oil Moisturizer has mineral oil as the primary ingredient.

The more I used it, the harder and drier my hair got. Not only that, my hair FELT dry AND greasy. Not moisturized at all even though the product has water in it. So what would I do to try to relieve it? Put more of that gunk in there thinking that my hair was just naturally dry.

Once I discovered natural oils, my hair did alot better. It was more supple and I didn't have that greasy heavy feeling at all. It also penetrates the strands very well which mineral oil, petrolatum, paraffin oil, etc do not.

Ipanema

I still have a bottle of pure unscented mineral oil on my shelf, and use it occasionally. Used sparingly, I like the way it lubricates my strands, which have a tendency to cling to each other.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Honi said:
Great example....Pink Oil Moisturizer has mineral oil as the primary ingredient.

The more I used it, the harder and drier my hair got. Not only that, my hair FELT dry AND greasy. Not moisturized at all even though the product has water in it. So what would I do to try to relieve it? Put more of that gunk in there thinking that my hair was just naturally dry.

Once I discovered natural oils, my hair did alot better. It was more supple and I didn't have that greasy heavy feeling at all. It also penetrates the strands very well which mineral oil, petrolatum, paraffin oil, etc do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dry AND Greasy...now that is a bad combination!

keke

I use alot of products w/mineral oil in it. Does my hair fine. It differs on the person. I use baby oil gel on my face and it helps keep skin moistened and help me get rid of these blemishes. I use aveeno products and the gel works fine after it. I use to use the lotions by Aveeno but they didnt do that well, but the gel does gr8. First ingredient on it? Mineral oil.

keke

Also, for those who use products w/these ingredients in them and you are getting GOOD results of growth, shine, etc then keep on using it. If you want to experiment w/o the grease and other products w/that ingredient in it for a while thats fine, but if products w/those ingredients are doing your hair well then keep on, i say.

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How do u know? Do u use a product that doesn't have them in it? What did mineral oil and petroleum exactly do to your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I've been taking care of my hair since I was 14. I was natural and in braids. And would grease my hair and scalp and it did nothing to it except coat it. The white film that I found in my hair and a friend's hair when I washed it for her was petroleum. It took me about 5 shampoos to get that stuff out of her hair and there was still some in it. The mineral oil is extracted from crude oil (as i've read somewhere in the past) I'd rather have a natural oil over this one anyday. The properties or lack thereof in mineral does nothing for my hair or scalp. When I used these products my hair was short, now I've done away with them it's the longest it's ever been. I would never go back to using either again. All my hair products are PJ and MO free and my hair thanks me for it.

Irresistible

their are lots of products i love that have mineral oil in them, i still use lots of natural oils and butters too, but im not tossing or stopping using the other products either....i've never seen/had any problems with it

Sweetyb

"Can we give mineral oil a second chance?"
Shhhhh.....who said 'mineral oil'!

Ok ok, I've been using it too! Actually, I didn't know it was in the product...

... funny story, really

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
"Can we give mineral oil a second chance?"
Shhhhh.....who said 'mineral oil'!

Ok ok, I've been using it too! Actually, I didn't know it was in the product...

... funny story, really

[/ QUOTE ] Bustin out a big ole spotlight and shining it on you

Karonica

I've never followed the hype over not using mineral oil. If I have a fave product that has it, it makes no sense for me to stop using it. Same with SLS.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I've never followed the hype over not using mineral oil. If I have a fave product that has it, it makes no sense for me to stop using it. Same with SLS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that!

inthepink

If I use a product with mineral oil continuously, it eventually dries out my hair. So, I figure for me, it's best to avoid products with this ingredient...especially if it's high on the list.

greAtness333

I use Doo Gro Mega Thick which has petroleum* and mineral oil as the first two ingredients. My edges are the longest they've been in awhile. I use this product on top of others but I haven't noticed any harm done. The only problem is the greasiness I see through my hair. Is that what ppl mean when they say it doesn't absorb and sits on top of the head?

Kitkat

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I get an "amen?"
That's EXACTLY what happened to my hair when I used that crap - the more I used, the dryer it got. It was a vicious cycle. I don't remember if I finally figured it out, or whether I just decided to try something else. After I found this forum, I finally learned that mineral oil was the culprit and saw that others had the same experience. If I'm not mistaken, Pink Oil also has (or had) alcohol as one of the primary ingredients.

That one experience was enough to keep me away from mineral oil forever. If I'm considering hairdressing or moisturizer and see mineral oil as any ingredient, it goes back on the shelf. I don't care how far down on the list it appears.

And don't assume that hairdressing from high-quality lines don't have mineral oil/petroleum. Yesterday at the bss I was reading the ingredients to one of Mizani's hairdressers and guess what was on the ingredients list? You got it.

kitchen_tician

I was reading the ingredients on my new bottle of dabur amla oil and it also has mineral oil in it. I haven't experienced any negative effects with the use of mineral oil. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the way it makes my hair feel.