Can someone give me a really simple relaxed head regimen for my mother?

exoticmommie

Apparently mine was too much work. I basically told her to wash and condition 1x a week To cowash when needed, to moisturize daily. And Deep condition under a dryer every 2 weeks. She said that is too much work. She seems interested in hair care again since getting her Mizani Butter Blends package. But I don't want to scare her off with a too complex regimen. She really needs it ladies. :sad:

Mine was very detailed by telling her what to do step by step. If you have pictures of your hair to show your progress that would help as well. Or you can just point me to a hair album.

Her stats:

Relaxed - Just purchased mizani butter blends sensitive scalp
NL
Thin Edges
Dandruff problems.
Uses coconut oil only to moisturize and seal (she just got the http://www.target.com/Mizani-H2O-In...chPage=1&field_keywords=mizani_h2o_night_timeMizani rose h20 nighttime treatment for free with her order)
Wants to just slick hair back into a ponytail daily.
Uses aloe vera gel for slicking.
Uses wigs when going out.

Please incorporate the new moisturizer into the regimen as well.

This is what I typed for my Mom (she was natural for 20+ years and decided to relax - I applied the relaxer - about 1.5 month ago.) Her tresses are healthy but she is elderly and I knew she wouldn't follow a more time-consuming routine.

WEEKLY WASH ROUTINE
• 1X/WEEK – SHAMPOO & CONDITION
• ALWAYS APPLY LEAVE-IN ON DAMP HAIR AFTER EVERY WASH
• APPLY KEMI OYL OR ANY CREAM MOISTURIZER ON DRY HAIR CONCENTRATING ON THE ENDS

PRE-TOUCH UP ROUTINE
• RETOUCH RELAXER (LYE) EVERY 10-12 WEEKS (1 WEEK BEFORE RETOUCHING DO A PROTEIN TREATMENT WITH A CONDITIONING CAP AND WARM HEAT FOR 20 MINUTES AND FOLLOW BY A MOISTURIZING TREATMENT WITH WARM HEAT FOR 20 MINUTES (THIS PREPS THE HAIR FOR THE CHEMICAL BREAKDOWN OF RELAXERS)

TRIMS
• HAVE HAIR PROFESSIONALLY TRIMMED AFTER EVERY RETOUCH (ONLY HAVE ½ INCH AND NO MORE TRIMMED OFF)

COLOR
• ALTHOUGH A SEMI/DEMI-PERMANENT RINSE CAN BE APPLIED THE SAME DAY AS A TOUCH UP IT IS BEST TO WAIT 2 WEEKS BETWEEN CHEMICAL SERVICES. HAVING A BEAUTICIAN APPLY RINSES IS BEST.

MAINTENANCE, CARE, AND NOTES
• SLEEP ON/IN SATIN OR SILK PILLOW CASES/SCARVES EVERY NIGHT.

• IF YOU MUST USE DIRECT HEAT i.e. FLAT IRONS OR CURLING IRONS, TRY TO LIMIT THE USE OF HEAT TO ONCE A WEEK ON CLEAN HAIR ONLY. ROLLER SETS ARE HEALTHIER AND BEST FOR CREATING CURLS, SHAPE, AND BODY.

• AVOID PURCHASING SHAMPOOS, LEAVE-IN CONDITIONERS, AND CONDITIONERS WITH PETROLEUM, PETROLETUM, LANOLIN, OR MINERAL OIL IN THEM (THESE INGREDIENTS ARE CHEAP FILLERS AND ARE BAD FOR YOUR SCALP & HAIR). MOST HAIR CARE PRODUCTS AIMED AT AFRO-AMERICANS ARE FILLED WITH THESE INGREDIENTS!

• ALWAYS, ALWAYS NOTATE DATES OF CHEMICAL SERVICES (RETOUCHES AND COLORING), PROTEIN TREATMENTS, AND TRIMS

Last edited:
Hmm, well don't tell her to cowash just yet. Just tell her to wash and condition weekly and moisturize and seal maybe every other day?
Maybe if she gets good results from that, she'll want to step her game up.

Ooops, excuse me, EM. I just realized that you asking for a regimen for your Mom's hair!

Her stats:

- NL - How come you went with No Lye? I think LYE is better.

- Thin Edges - Advise her not to put too much tension (combing, hairstyles, etc) to this area and to apply relaxer there last. Find a good temple balm and begin messages.

- Dandruff problems.
Uses coconut oil only to moisturize and seal (she just got the Mizani rose h20 nighttime treatment for free with her order) - She can use coconut oil as an overnight treatment to combat dandruff. Make sure that she is not having an adverse reaction to mineral oil or petroleum.

-Wants to just slick hair back into a ponytail daily. - Good. She's used to Protective Styles but should not put too much tension on her edges.

-Uses aloe vera gel for slicking. - Is that a bad thing as I thought aloe vera gel was awesome?

-Uses wigs when going out. - This is fine too as long as she takes care of her own hair and uses a silky-like cover under the wig.

-Please incorporate the new moisturizer into the regimen as well. - Giovanni Leave-in sealed with Kemi Oyl may be an option.

Last edited:
Ooops, excuse me, EM. I just realized that you asking for a regimen for your Mom's hair!

Her stats:

- NL - How come you went with No Lye? I think LYE is better.

- Thin Edges - Advise her not to put too much tension (combing, hairstyles, etc) to this area and to apply relaxer there last. Find a good temple balm and begin messages.

- Dandruff problems.
Uses coconut oil only to moisturize and seal (she just got the Mizani rose h20 nighttime treatment for free with her order) - She can use coconut oil as an overnight treatment to combat dandruff. Make sure that she is not having an adverse reaction to mineral oil or petroleum.

-Wants to just slick hair back into a ponytail daily. - Good. She's used to Protective Styles but should not put too much tension on her edges.

-Uses aloe vera gel for slicking. - Is that a bad thing as I thought aloe vera gel was awesome?

-Uses wigs when going out. - This is fine too as long as she takes care of her own hair and uses a silky-like cover under the wig.

-Please incorporate the new moisturizer into the regimen as well. - Giovanni Leave-in sealed with Kemi Oyl may be an option.

Thanks, she has the lye. I was confused at first two but she says it came in a tub.

She uses aloe vera gel because I told her about it. She uses a different one from what I use, she said fruit of the earth was too watery.

I will be taking some from your moms regimen.

My regimen is perfect for your mom. I just tweaked it and it is so simple. If you get a chance check out my fotki, but this is my most recent regimen.

1x week deep condition for 20 minutes on dry hair.
Get in shower and (shampoo or co-wash) 1x.
If she shampoos, she should condition 1x before she gets out.
Detangle hair under shower, get out.
Add leave in conditioner to hair, moisturize and seal.
Put hair in a pony and baggy the pony.
Tie down wet hair.

The next day I slap a bun on it and keep it moving. I do this 1x a week.

Last edited:
I would stick to what you told her minus the co-wash. Not all relaxed hair likes it and i don't think it's needed if she's shampooing once a week in the first place.

My idea of a simple relaxed head routine (Short-version Bolded).

The tools would consist of a sulfate-free shampoo, a rinse out conditioner (preferably a balanced one that's both moisturizing and contains a bit of protein), an oil, a leave-in conditioner, a heat protectant (for when direct heat is utilized), and a deep conditioner (preferably one that is both moisturizing and contains a bit of protein). This point of view may be contraversial, but I don't really think deep conditioning is necessary every week. On youtube I've seen long heads of hair that don't deep condition or deep condition rarely and they still manage to achieve lengths. If it's just a wash and go with no heat styling, I wouldn't force her to deep condition if she didn't want to. I would, however, force her to deep condition the week before relaxing, if she's planning on using direct heat, or basically her hair is undergoing some kind of stress.

I've found that one should try to keep it as no-fuss as possible with those who are just starting to care for their hair. As they take more of an interest, you can incorporate more things into the routine.

So, my sample routine would look something like this.

-Shampoo 1x per week (you can apply oil to scalp and hair before shampooing to combat dandruff and keep from over-stripping.)
-Condition (Leave on head for about 3 minutes)
-Deep condition (optional--mandatory only if about to do something stressful to hair in the near future).
-Rinse with cool water (to seal in moisture)
-Moisturize with leave-in conditioner
-Seal with oil

And that's pretty much it, routine-wise. I would also keep an eye out for hair destroyers, which are hair tools, accessories, and practices she may have that can potentially cause breakage during the times when you aren't washing your hair. Little changes in a routine can lead to major retention. Teach her how to use her combs, brushes, etc... in ways that won't cause hair breakage. Also, you may want to have her sleep in a satin bonnet, scarf, or have a satin pillow case to avoid breakage during the night.

Last edited:
When I saw NL I thought that meant neck length, not "no lye" relaxer....I could be wrong, tho:blush:

Here are some easy bare necessities for a relaxed head routine:

1. Wash & deep condition with moisture weekly
2. Lightly apply the Mizani rose H20 on ends every night
3. Seal moisture with some good ol' EVOO from the kitchen
4. Sleep on satin pillowcase or scarf
5. Take a daily multivitamin
6. Drink plenty of WATER!
7. Limit heat, manipulation, & be gentle on strands

If she starts these 7, her hair should thrive.

Make sure she can deal with this before introducing her to cowashing, moisture/ protein balancing, and other complex concepts.

If you are still looking I think mine is simple.

Oh and I don't cowash...my hair HATES it and its pretty easy to get along with...LOL!

When I saw NL I thought that meant neck length, not "no lye" relaxer....I could be wrong, tho:blush:

Make sure she can deal with this before introducing her to cowashing, moisture/ protein balancing, and other complex concepts.

I think you are correct :grin:!

I dreaded my mom getting a relaxer because I knew she wasn't going to do #2, 3, 5, and 6.

OH no, that means she is at NL. When I started my journey we were both the exact same length.

Thanks Ladies I am just gonna read off her choices and see what she likes. :yep:

Back