Can I roller set this?... (see pictures)

dlove

I want to get a rollerset. I am 4b all natural and have about 2 inches of hair, stretched is about 2 1/2. I want to start getting roller sets.

Good idea or no?
If you have experienced a rollerset with my hair length, please post the results of how the set came out and what type of setting lotion, if any, did you or the beautician use. I like all natural products, any suggestions?

Please see the attachments.

Attachments

• 1 21 08 growth2.jpg
    1 21 08 growth2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 1 21 08 growth.jpg
    1 21 08 growth.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 122

Wanderland

If you really want to I'm sure you can.:yep: I would advise using mesh rollers though. When I natural and rollerset I used green mesh ones from goody (taking out the interior brush stuff). It came out okay but was a tight curl that took days to "fall". I never tried the doobie method of wrapping afterwards so I'm not sure how straight it'll get. But you can achieved a more relaxed curly look if you desire

ETA: I didn't use a setting lotion but I remember using some leave-in that was all the rage on LHCF then...but after doing rollersets on relaxed hair I would say just use water and serum to set, your natural hair will hold a curl better than relaxed so setting lotion would just do double the work

glamazon386

If you really want to I'm sure you can.:yep: I would advise using mesh rollers though. When I natural and rollerset I used green mesh ones from goody (taking out the interior brush stuff). It came out okay but was a tight curl that took days to "fall". I never tried the doobie method of wrapping afterwards so I'm not sure how straight it'll get. But you can achieved a more relaxed curly look if you desire

ETA: I didn't use a setting lotion but I remember using some leave-in that was all the rage on LHCF then...but after doing rollersets on relaxed hair I would say just use water and serum to set, your natural hair will hold a curl better than relaxed so setting lotion would just do double the work

I disagree. With natural hair (especially type 4 hair) you're going to need a heavier product. If I try to rollerset my hair with regular setting lotion or just water and serum it won't weigh it down enough to stick to the roller. It'll just be dry and bushy.

newflowers

A few years ago, I had hair that short and, though I was relaxed, I roller set all of the time. Purchase the smallest size - the lavender ones with the clips. Make sure you get enough so you can do really small sections. I do not know about setting lotion because I do not use it; however, dry under the hooded dryer and your hair should turn out fine. You may not have the really smooth set of relaxed hair, but your set will have small curls and be very pretty.

cmw45

I disagree. With natural hair (especially type 4 hair) you're going to need a heavier product. If I try to rollerset my hair with regular setting lotion or just water and serum it won't weigh it down enough to stick to the roller. It'll just be dry and bushy.

I agree. Even when I was transitioning when I tried to set my hair with setting lotion it just looked puffy.

dlove

[quote=glamazon386;3580789]I disagree. With natural hair (especially type 4 hair) you're going to need a heavier product. If I try to rollerset my hair with regular setting lotion or just water and serum it won't weigh it down enough to stick to the roller. It'll just be dry and bushy.[/quote]

and cmw45
I agree. Even when I was transitioning when I tried to set my hair with setting lotion it just looked puffy.

I have a feeling this would be the end result. Are you both suggesting that I do not rollerset at all or use precautionary methods? Have you had good results with a particular setting lotion or method for rolling the hair?
or
Should I just dismiss the thought altogether.:perplexed

tadeja

Hi, I'm a 4a/b, fine natural, with about 6-7 inches of hair and I rollerset, simply to stretch while drying. Twisting takes me so long and I can set my whole head in about 20 minutes with the green snap on magnetic rollers. I use a leave-in, a bit of moisturizer, a touch of serum and water to set. But I'm not looking for my curls to last. I mostly air dry, and when I take my rollers out in the morning, I'll have curls for a few hours, then a funky fro after that. When I receive my Pibbs, in about two weeks time, I won't change any of my products but expect the curls to last longer.

BrownSkin2

I am natural 4 a/b, and I use to roll my hair when I was your length. If you want a tight curl, start by shampooing and conditioning, use a leave-in, a hair butter or lotion, and some oil along the length, and roll with small flexi rods. I used the pink ones then. It can last 2 days before it starts to look like a curly soft fro. HTH

glamazon386

[quote=glamazon386;3580789]I disagree. With natural hair (especially type 4 hair) you're going to need a heavier product. If I try to rollerset my hair with regular setting lotion or just water and serum it won't weigh it down enough to stick to the roller. It'll just be dry and bushy.

and cmw45

I have a feeling this would be the end result. Are you both suggesting that I do not rollerset at all or use precautionary methods? Have you had good results with a particular setting lotion or method for rolling the hair?
or
Should I just dismiss the thought altogether.:perplexed[/QUOTE]

No but you might have to use a gel or butter to do it. Something thicker. I've used aloe vera gel but I had to leave the curls alone once I took the rollers out. Somebody at np used shealoe and got good results. Are you trying to rollerset to get curls and wear it like that? Or just to stretch the hair out. A lot of naturals rollerset their hair just to stretch it out before straightening so it doesn't really matter what the curls look like.

Last edited:

dlove

[/b]

and cmw45

or
Should I just dismiss the thought altogether.:perplexed

No but you might have to use a gel or butter to do it. Something thicker. I've used aloe vera gel but I had to leave the curls alone once I took the rollers out. Somebody at np used shealoe and got good results. Are you trying to rollerset to get curls and wear it like that? Or just to stretch the hair out. A lot of naturals rollerset their hair just to stretch it out before straightening so it doesn't really matter what the curls look like.[/quote]

I am trying to get curls- tired of wearing TWA:ohwell:. Where can I find shealoe and is it a protein like product? I dont need any extra protein as it will cause my hair to be dry and break like mad.

lala

I think you should experiment and find what works for you. When I was natural years ago, I always rollerset my hair, but I never used setting lotion b/c the curls would be too tight, not b/c I thought it would be too bushy. I used the plastic rollers because my hair used to get stuck in the mesh rollers.

I did use a light oil and a leave-in conditioner. I completely dried my hair under a hooded dryer and it actually staightened my hair so that it looked slightly pressed. It was very manageable.

dlove

How can I wear a rollerset without it turning out to a fluffy dry looking afro?

and dont tell me to perm my hair:lachen:!

newflowers

I think you should experiment and find what works for you. When I was natural years ago, I always rollerset my hair, but I never used setting lotion b/c the curls would be too tight, not b/c I thought it would be too bushy. I used the plastic rollers because my hair used to get stuck in the mesh rollers.

I did use a light oil and a leave-in conditioner. I completely dried my hair under a hooded dryer and it actually staightened my hair so that it looked slightly pressed. It was very manageable.

I think you can roller set your hair as indicated here. Give it a try and see what happens.

nappity

[quote=glamazon386;3580789]I disagree. With natural hair (especially type 4 hair) you're going to need a heavier product. If I try to rollerset my hair with regular setting lotion or just water and serum it won't weigh it down enough to stick to the roller. It'll just be dry and bushy.

and cmw45

or
Should I just dismiss the thought altogether.:perplexed[/quote]

When my hair was your length. I would do a straw set- my setting "lotion" was IC gk- the clear one or Organic Root Stimulator's twist and lock gel. My kinks,curves and curls had great hold and kinky definition. I didn't try a smooth set - cause I cant do one (just spastic). Even now that my hair is longer- I STILL cant do a smooth rollerset!:lachen:

dlove

I have results of a TWA rollerset

I roller set my hair with lottabody. I used magnetic rollers, the small blue and mid-medium yellow. The results? I liked the set. The ends looked frizzy because I should have used the metal clips instead of the clamp at the end. I finger combed my hair. People thought I had a press or perm. This a keeper for me for the rest of the year. I feel like my hair is "done". I will never go back to a relaxer ever again.

Attachments

• 1 31.jpg
    1 31.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1312.jpg
    1312.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 84
  • 1 311.jpg
    1 311.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 73

AtlantaJJ

Re: I have results of a TWA rollerset

I roller set my hair with lottabody. I used magnetic rollers, the small blue and mid-medium yellow. The results? I liked the set. The ends looked frizzy because I should have used the metal clips instead of the clamp at the end. I finger combed my hair. People thought I had a press or perm. This a keeper for me for the rest of the year. I feel like my hair is "done". I will never go back to a relaxer ever again.
Your hair looks good girl and so healthy!!! You did a great job too!

But no fair, you don't have a TWA chile, you have some hair on your head~~!! Pretty healthy thick hair!! I love it!

dlove

Your hair looks good girl and so healthy!!! You did a great job too!

But no fair, you don't have a TWA chile, you have some hair on your head~~!! Pretty healthy thick hair!! I love it!

Girl Thank You! You made me :blush: blush. Really, I'm actually blushing:grin:.

bravenewgirl87

YOUR HAIR MUST BE SOPPING WET while you are putting in the rollers. If not, it won't come out right. I would also find a wrapping lotion or mousse that works in your interest. Invest in a good leave-in

dlove

YOUR HAIR MUST BE SOPPING WET while you are putting in the rollers. If not, it won't come out right. I would also find a wrapping lotion or mousse that works in your interest. Invest in a good leave-in

Any suggestions on a wrapping lotion and leave-in? I use mostly all natural products but will compromise for a good looking roller set. Thanks in advance...

AtlantaJJ

Girl Thank You! You made me :blush: blush. Really, I'm actually blushing:grin:.
You are welcome!! You have made great progress!! I can't wait until my hair gets to your length, it really looks good. I'll keep an eye on this post to find out the best products to use for a good roller set on natural hair, so that I can try it out when my hair gets long enough to wrap around a roller :grin::grin:

chickory_bee

I'm a 4b and when I was your length, I would go in to my beautician and she would do a roller set. She would wash and condition it, and then put setting lotion on it, then set me with plastic rollers (using end paper) and sit me under the dryer. When I came out, I looked like an old lady leaving the salon, but she would break up the curls and re-form them, then I would look fabulous!! It lasted looking GOOD for one week, and then looking 'natural' for the second...but that was in the HOT missouri summer.