Can a texturizer on a very kinky 4 a/b get

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
3a/b curls? I dont want straight hair but the curl pattern on my hair is way too tight and I do not want to use to harsh chemicals on my hair but I want a looser curl pattern so can a texturizer do that? Will it damage my hair?>

alliyah4eva203

i don't think so. a texturizer will only loosen the curl pattern that you already have. so 4 a/b hair won't look like 3a/b hair

NubianAngel

Not in my experience. When I texturized, I got a looser version of what I already had, which meant looser tiny coils. My hair didn't even look like a 3c lady that I met who was also texturized at the time.

model_chick717

I'm texturized and my natural hair is 4a--and after being texturized, I would pretty much categorize it as type 3 hair (not sure which letter though). As long as your hair, no matter how kinky, actually has curls/coils--then it will loosen that curl--which, if done right, would be type three.

inkysphinx

Check out the curve salon website: Curve There are pictures of different ladies before and after a texturizer. You might find someone with a similar texture to yours.

I also noticed at curve that they offer something called a "kinky deep wave set" which is a non-chemical way to transform natural coils into a looser curl pattern. (I imagine it's a twist-out or knot-out of some kind.) HTH

Nina_deF

I agree with modelchick!
I went to get my hair texturized here in Sweden and the stylist told me that I had no
curldefinition so it would be best to do a curly perm.
The perm turned out fine, I'm happy with it but when i went to get it cut in NYC the stylist there told me that I have great curl definition and that a texturizer would make my hair look like the curlyperm anyway.
She said that a texturizer will loosen your curls differently depending on how long it's left in for and that I could have 2b if I wanted to (of course one would need a SUPERstylist to know when it's time).
So naything is possible, you just have to find the right stylist
and THAT is the hard part!

AceH

Cosigning... Anything is possible. You'll definately get the look, but the feel is another story...

luvhair

Model chick-- how do you do those full head weaves?

Andrea Maria-- I like the way your hair looks in a bun and I see that you are also a 4a/b who texturizes. How is your hair?

Nay

Luvhair, have you tried wearing twistouts or braidouts? Those styles are great for giving a nice curl or wave pattern to hair.

EbonyEyes

I have no idea. My sister had 4A/4B natural hair and she got a texturizer. Her curls are looser but I wouldn't classify them as 3A/B.

My hair is natural 4A. My protective style is medium sized twists. I leave them in for a few weeks. When I undo them, I have a twistout that makes my hair look like a 3B.

-Ebony

luvhair

Teenie I don't know if your hair is a 3b but I do like that curl pattern. What texturizer do you use and how long do you keep it?

Whats your regimen?

AceH

[ QUOTE ]
luvhair said:
Andrea Maria-- I like the way your hair looks in a bun and I see that you are also a 4a/b who texturizes. How is your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks luvhair. Let's see... My hair is very close to brastrap (some say that it is already there, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me
) My hair has very loose curls & more of deep waves close to the scalp (don't know why - overprocessing, maybe? length, maybe? Texturizing is very tricky - timing is everything. Anyway, it looks good
). I will be adding more pictures of my hair in the coming months so everyone can see how it looks in various styles.

AceH

[ QUOTE ]
luvhair said:
Teenie I don't know if your hair is a 3b but I do like that curl pattern. What texturizer do you use and how long do you keep it?

Whats your regimen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what's your regime? Specifically, what products do you use? Your hair is very beautiful!

MissMarie23

Texturizing won't change your hair to a different type.

Texturized 4a/b hair will be 4a/b hair with a looser curl pattern.

If your hair is wavy, your texturized hair will be wavy, and so on.

HTH

luvhair

Well looking through the photo album of some of these ladies it is possible. I don't understand why its not. If you can straighten my hair why can't the curls be looser? My hair makes perfect spirals which I love the problem is the diameter of these curls is about 1/8" or maybe even smaller.

Andreamaria how long do you keep your texturizer on and what kind do you use?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I think most of these ladies know that a texturizer won't change their hair type to a type 3, just like those who relax bone straight know that the hair growing out of their head isn't a type 1.

If you naturally have tight curls/spirals, a texturizer, if done correctly, will LOOSEN the curls/spirals or create waves, depending on the relaxer strength and/or timing.

Devi

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
I'm kind of curious as to what some of you ladies mean by "feel"--I mean, what does type 3 hair "feel" like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I texturize and my hair is the same type. It looks a little looser, but I wouldn't say it's a 2b/c.

I think the "feel" is the less coarse feeling.

Not all threes have silky hair. I'm 3a and my hair is COARSE... the exact reason that I texturize, just to get it to be a lil' softer.

Although my mom's 4b hair is coarser than mine... I don't think that it depends on hair type. I don't have what some call "white people hair" (I HATE to use this term, but I don't know how else to say it right now) just because my hair is loosely curled.

AceH

[ QUOTE ]
luvhair said:
Andreamaria how long do you keep your texturizer on and what kind do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep Motions Oil relaxer (Lye) on for about 7-8 minutes...

DahomeyAhosi

I have mostly 4b hair (wavy/z shape) with some 4a hair in back. I should say the texture has softened significantly after using silica and perhaps chlorella also. Anyway I texturize 4 maybe 5-10 minutes. The 4b hair either just gets a little less frizzy or the waves elongate. However the 4a hair does seem to change to 3b/c curls. I think it's important to do a strand test. If you have multiple textures do multiple strand tests to see how long you should leave the product on for your desired results. Find a stylist who is willing to do this and you should be all set.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have the 4ab mix hair and texturized it. My hair is short, it seems more wvy than curly. Maybe it depends on how long yr hair is? :perplexed I still love the results! :grin:

LookieLoo

I had 4A hair naturally, but now that it's texturized, I would say it's definitely type 3C.

However, I've never had type 4B anywhere, so when I was natural, I had a head full of extremely tight 4A ringlets (with a sprinkling of 3C) with a lot of shrinkage. The texturizer loosened/stretched them.

Last edited:

buffalosoldier

luvhair said:
3a/b curls? I dont want straight hair but the curl pattern on my hair is way too tight and I do not want to use to harsh chemicals on my hair but I want a looser curl pattern so can a texturizer do that? Will it damage my hair?>

A texturizer is still harsh chemicals IMO. (I have one) Maybe try experimenting with different products first on your natural hair like aloe vera gel, paul mitchell foaming pomade etc. Also try braid and twist outs like Nay suggested.