Calling all Naturals! Help Please

BelindaLuz

Hello ladies.

I need help. What is the best moisturizer that you have used?

No Protine, I have too much protine. My hair is so protine fortified that it is starting to snap.:wallbash:

I habe been trying to find a moisturizer and I have been all over this site trying to find something and I have not.:nono:

Kitchen made or store bought, please tell me what you use for moisture that does not have protine.

Thank you in advanced for your help.:perplexed

Well I mix my own from water, glycerin, and some oils.

I have read SistaSlick recommend Kenra products to avoid protein, and moisture is only provided by water. Whatever product you decide on, make sure the first ingredient is water. Everything else lubricates, but doesn't moisturize. In other words, your hair will basically be dry, but it may have a nice slip to it.

i just did an oil rinse 3 days ago and my hair has never been so moisturized and soft, i havnt added anything except MN mix on my scalp. but im not sure i did my oil rinse according to LHCF standards:grin::grin:

I have read SistaSlick recommend Kenra products to avoid protein, and moisture is only provided by water. Whatever product you decide on, make sure the first ingredient is water. Everything else lubricates, but doesn't moisturize. In other words, your hair will basically be dry, but it may have a nice slip to it.

Thank you!

I've been wondering this too

i just did an oil rinse 3 days ago and my hair has never been so moisturized and soft, i havnt added anything except MN mix on my scalp. but im not sure i did my oil rinse according to LHCF standards:grin::grin:

Why do you say that....what did you do?

EVOO, coconut milk and honey. I like a thicker consistency so I might add a few squirts of a cheap conditioner or go heavy on the honey.

Why do you say that....what did you do?

nothing special, but most of the ladies have a plan of attack:lachen::lachen:i just but some conditioner in my hair combed through and applied coconut, castor and grapeseed to several sections and braided. rinsed in warm water for a few seconds. ANd my hair even the center(my trouble spot) was so SOFT and MOISTURIZED

Last edited:
Right after washing my hair, I finger comb a small amount of Elucence or kenra Conditoner as a leave-in in my damp hair. Then I add some oil. I usually rub some Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my hands and distribute from scalp to ends. I make sure to spitz my hair each night lightly with either leav-in or braid spray and then add a little Oil as above. If you add oil when wet the hair soaks it up and isnt greasy as it would be if you just put oil on dry hair. This is when my hair is in two strand twists or even a bun.

Glycerin. I love this stuff. I have found through my trial and error of so many commerical products that when wearing my hair in it's natural state ( not blowdried and flat-ironed) after a fresh wash, glycercin sealed with some castor oil, leaves my hair pretty darn nice.

A really good conditioner without proteins and is inexpensive and moisturizing is Elasta QP DPR-11. If you add 1 ounce of Olive oil and 1 ounce of honey it will give you slip, defined curls and sheen. I use heat like my heating cap or my dryer
If you want to spend some money, Curls Ecstasy Asian Hair Tea is my holy grail- I add nothing to it and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. It is the reason I can do a low manipulation regimen.
The other ladies are on point- water should be the first ingredient for any moisturizer
ETA: since your hair is dry have you considered no pooing? Its really help me manage my hair. Shampoo makes my hair make a fist!!

Last edited:
A really good conditioner without proteins and is inexpensive and moisturizing is Elasta QP DPR-11. If you add 1 ounce of Olive oil and 1 ounce of honey it will give you slip, defined curls and sheen. I use heat like my heating cap or my dryer
If you want to spend some money, Curls Ecstasy Asian Hair Tea is my holy grail- I add nothing to it and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. It is the reason I can do a low manipulation regimen.
The other ladies are on point- water should be the first ingredient for any moisturizer
ETA: since your hair is dry have you considered no pooing? Its really help me manage my hair. Shampoo makes my hair make a fist!!

I co-sign with the Asian Hair Tea. I sleep with it on overnight with my hair in a shower cap and scarf. The next morning I can hear my hair saying "thank you!"

Last edited:

I cosign w/the Elasta QP, I also add oil to it.

I just BC ed about a week and a half ago on a whim thanks to LHCF:hugxplode:. But I went natural a few years ago for about a year, and the best moisturizer I used was from Allways. It was in a pink bottle. I haven't had the chance to go out and get it yet, but it was wonderful. I just started using Africa's Best Organics Olive Oil Growth Lotion/Mosturizer, and it is wonderful too. It gets my comb through my 4a/b hair like a champ and it helps really define my texture. Plus it isn't greasy.

LOL!! :lachen:

I use a moisture mix that consists of water, condish (VO5) and castor oil…works great! :up:
Coconut Milk+Any Moisturizing Condish, Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Cholesterol, and Proclaim Cholesterol also works well when you need that extra something something! ;)

Glycerin. I love this stuff. I have found through my trial and error of so many commerical products that when wearing my hair in it's natural state ( not blowdried and flat-ironed) after a fresh wash, glycercin sealed with some castor oil, leaves my hair pretty darn nice.

I also like glycerin, I'll have to try sealing w/castor oil to see if the effects last longer

I would do this but glycerin drys from the inside out. It draws moisture from inside of hair/skin and puts in on the outside...

Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate it. I must finish reading now.

Back