calling all 4a NATURALS with coffee-stirrer sized coils

poookie

i have a question for all 4a naturals of ALL lengths, with coffee-stirrer sized coils or smaller.

(i don't mean to exclude anyone, just calling out those with the same natural hair type as me)

ooh, and 4Bers, i'd love to hear your input as well!!!

how often do you detangle?
are you able to cowash? if so, how often?
are you able to do wash and gos?
do you avoid cones? if so, has it helped?

i am going on a LOOOONG term stretch with the potential to turn into a transition, and would love to hear from you guys :)

Neith

How long are you planning to stretch? I tried to stretch for 4 months and it turned into a long transition too :lol:

I wont put any input into the thread cuz I'm not natural, but I'm curious about these questions too :)

LayneJ

• I usually detangle 1x/week with my Denman. Sometimes I just finger-comb, and wait until the next week.
  • I co-wash, and I do so 1-2x/week.
  • I wash and go too. I love them. I just co-wash (I leave a little condish in), apply a small amount of gel, and that's it. To refresh, I just spray my hair with a mix of water and conditioner.
  • I don't purposely avoid cones, but none of my regular products contain them. My hair does fine without them.

msa

Minny, your hair is beautiful!!

On topic:
how often do you detangle?
I detangle whenever my hair is loose and wet. I just use my fingers, sometimes I use olive oil because it makes my hair more slippery. And, sometimes I'll use a comb but usually my fingers and the water pressure is enough.
are you able to cowash? if so, how often?
I don't "cowash" really. I do rinse my hair with water often, every day or every other day. Usually my hair is in braids so that makes it easier.
are you able to do wash and gos?
Yup. I wet my hair in the shower, detangle if I need to, add castor oil when I get out and then wrap my hair in a t-shirt. The t-shirt soaks up the excess water and oil and I just take it off when I'm ready to go.
do you avoid cones? if so, has it helped?
I avoid all "chemicals". Using stuff with cones just blocked out moisture for me. I basically use plant based oils (castor, evoo, coconut), natural butters, coconut milk if I need it, and water. There are a number of naturals that use cones here, I think you just have to be aware of what they can do to your hair and adjust your regimen accordingly.

Ganjababy

I detangle 1-2 per week
Co-wash 2-5 times per week - hardly used shampoo in the last couple months
A lot of the stuff I use seem to have cones
Yes I wash n go, I am natural twa-ish to medium fro. 4a/b

SEMO

i have a question for all 4a naturals of ALL lengths, with coffee-stirrer sized coils or smaller.

(i don't mean to exclude anyone, just calling out those with the same natural hair type as me)

ooh, and 4Bers, i'd love to hear your input as well!!!

how often do you detangle? I detangle every time I wash my hair (1-2x/week)
are you able to cowash? if so, how often? Yes. I cowash when I feel like it. I have no particular routine or schedule with it.
are you able to do wash and gos? Yes. A wash n' go is how I wear my hair 85% of the time.
do you avoid cones? if so, has it helped? I do try to avoid cones for the most part, but I'm not 100% cone free. I feel that minimizing cone usage keeps my hair from getting too coated with the cones and thereby becoming dry and frizzy.

i am going on a LOOOONG term stretch with the potential to turn into a transition, and would love to hear from you guys :)

My answers are in purple. Good luck on your stretch/transition. Personally I've found that being natural for me is easier than being relaxed was (although I had beautiful relaxed hair that was low maintenance and got me lots of compliments). ;)