By the 2nd

brittanynic16

month how does everyone's new growth look? I assumed that I had 4a but I am feeling my new growth lately and it is growing in as little waves. Isn't that 4b? I have never heard anyone post that they have 4b hair. I am not really sure what type of hair I have. Could it look like this because of the weight of my relaxed hair. How does everyone's new growth come in?

I have loose waves in the front and in the crown I have tightly curled new growth so I am confused at what hair type I have too! I have two different textures.

When I was relaxed, my new growth at the crown would appear as little waves. After cutting the relaxer out, those waves ended up being curls about the size of a pen or pencil. My hair in the back would grow in puffy & tightly coiled, and that's the way it still is.

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
When I was relaxed, my new growth at the crown would appear as little waves. After cutting the relaxer out, those waves ended up being curls about the size of a pen or pencil. My hair in the back would grow in puffy & tightly coiled, and that's the way it still is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how my hair is. When I transitioned in the past my hair would start out as waves but as I got a lot of new growth my hair coiled up.

4b hair has waves so tight that it actually looks straight, a kinky kind of straight.

4a hair when it starts to come in looks like lil s-waves about 3-4 waves per inch

3c hair is looser than that, about 1 s wave per inch.

Thanks silvergirl! Man, or should I say woman, you helped be a lot because I was all confused and the pickers I seen for the different doesn't help me at all. With your decription I would say that I have mostly 4a with a good amount of 3c on the top. Thanks again!

Wait! Now I am looking at Peachtree's ablum and he new growth looks my new growth in the back! How am I suppose to know what my hair is going to look like natural. But, I guess what ever grows out of my head just grows.

I'm pretty sure I'm 4a. Most of my hair grows in in little waves and after it gets a certain length it starts to make little coily curls, especially in the crown area. The hair in the back is softer and finer than the rest, but the curl isn't quite as defined. It's sort of cottony. I always pull my hair back so the front never realy gets a chance to make coils, it's just super wavy. It's been almost 4 months since my last relaxer, so I'm seeing lots of coily action.
I have a tendency to dig in the top of my head and play with the curls that are right under my top layer of smoothed hair. Fun
smile.gif
But then I look ridiculous with my 'do all messed up
laugh.gif

When I was transitioning my hair would wave and coil up throughout my head. The front, when pulled back, was straight. I didn't try to type my hair until I Big Chopped because I figured that my hair would act differently when the weight of the permed hair would be gone.

Here is a little more help

"Addendum: Naturallycurly.com readers have suggested a third Type 3 subtype: 3c.
Type 3C, is hair with tight curls in corkscrews. The curls can be either kinky, or very tightly curled, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together. Some people refer to this as "big hair." Getting this type of hair to blowdry straight is more challenging than for 3A or 3B, but it usually can be done. This includes those with very tight curls but finer hair, as well as coarser hair. 3C has really really tight curls, like pencil or straw circumference. 3B is like sidewalk chalk or salt shaker circumference, and 4A is like coffee stirrer circumference."

http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php

they look like ink pen springs i also have zigzags on the side behind my ear and more pen springs for my hairline and in the back area of my head--very interesting--didnt notice the hairline thing before.

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
4b hair has waves so tight that it actually looks straight, a kinky kind of straight.

4a hair when it starts to come in looks like lil s-waves about 3-4 waves per inch

3c hair is looser than that, about 1 s wave per inch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought I was 4a/b. To be honest, I am not even quite sure now
confused.gif
All I know is that from looking at the new growth I have tight "s" patterns.

i snipped off a tiny section of hair where the perm meets the new growth to see how the new growth is and it's getting all comfortable with my scalp
laugh.gif
i have like an inch of newgrowth and when i tug it in the area i snipped, it looks like i have 50% shrinkage
shocked.gif
i heard that it shrank alot but wow!!! still i'm glad to know, i'm all fascinated now
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
i snipped off a tiny section of hair where the perm meets the new growth to see how the new growth is and it's getting all comfortable with my scalp
laugh.gif
i have like an inch of newgrowth and when i tug it in the area i snipped, it looks like i have 50% shrinkage
shocked.gif
i heard that it shrank alot but wow!!! still i'm glad to know, i'm all fascinated now
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing but it didn't snap back. It stayed poked out. So, I wet it and I am waiting for it to dry!
laugh.gif

we are so bad brittany
rofl.gif
we're gonna end up doing an ultra slow BC if we keep checking out our hair like this
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
we are so bad brittany
rofl.gif
we're gonna end up doing an ultra slow BC if we keep checking out our hair like this
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, you are so right!
smile.gif
laugh.gif
I am just so curious and excited! But, we better slow our role.
spank.gif

If you look in my pics folder I have a few shots of my new growth at 5, 7 and 10 wks post touch up. I've given up on being sure what my hair type is though..I think it's a combo of 3c/4a or 4a/3c, however ya want to call it. .I thought about snipping an area also but too chicken.

At 2 months I have about 1 1/2 in of new growth. In the front and at the crown it is wavy but it only has 1 big wave in it and kind of the beginning of another wave. In the back the wave is looser, like almost straight. In some spots it wants to curl up instead of being wavy, it sticks out from under the top layer of hair and it looks really crazy so I just keep that part wet if I want it to be straight.

I think my hair is 3b/3c. I tried to cut off the a lil bit of the relaxed hair at the new growth to see what it looked like without all of my heavy hair pulling on it but once i cut it i lost where it was and haven't seen it since lol

Right now at officially 8 weeks post relaxer, My new growth is trying to coil. I have about 1-1.5 inches of new growth all over. I am just trying to hold out to twelve weeks. I might switch to braid out with CW's until then.

[ QUOTE ]
godzooki said:
If you look in my pics folder I have a few shots of my new growth at 5, 7 and 10 wks post touch up. I've given up on being sure what my hair type is though..I think it's a combo of 3c/4a or 4a/3c, however ya want to call it. .I thought about snipping an area also but too chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever type it is, it's very pretty and shiny
smile.gif
dont be scurred
laugh.gif
test it out--just playing, just playing---trying to corrupt more of you guys
wink.gif

Back