Buns and Phoneys

mahogany66

Hi ladies,
Winter time is coming and I really want to put my ends away for this season so I decided to start wearing ponies and buns. So, today I washed and DC's then went to a salon for the bun. She used a black gel with NO alcohol and sat me under the dryer for about 30 minutes afterwards she pinned the hair (human hair) into a bun. She said it should last for 2 wks.

My concern is NOt being able to TOUCH my hair for two weeks to moisturize my ends :confused: Also, I am not familiar with GELS. Are they damaging?

What do ya'll do with buns and ponies?

camellia

Ummm...frankly, any hairstyle that lasts for two weeks during which I couldn't touch my own hair would have me running for the door. You can safely do protective styles without going to such extremes.

I make buns very simply. I just coil my hair around and around into a "bun" shape and then secure it with hair pins. I wear buns or low chignons as my everyday style. I don't ever use gel because I don't like hard hair and I don't pull my hair back too tight to prevent thinning of the sides and headaches.

I believe most gels with alcohol can be very drying and that can lead to split ends. I'm not terrible familiar with gels though because I don't use them. I'm pretty sure pure aloe vera gel is a safe and natural alternative though.

Even if you aren't into moisturizing your hair everyday, I think it should have at least some moisture within the two weeks.

mahogany66

My hair is just touching my shoulders now so I cannot do a bun without using extra hair.Maybe I'll see if she can do it without using the gel so it will only last for about a week.

camellia

I see. It's important to keep your hair up off of your shoulder while it's at that "in between" length. :)

Is an up do without the added hair an option for you? I ask because that way you'd be able to take it down whenever you wanted to moisturize or wash your hair. With shoulder length, or just below shoulder length hair you can do a pretty French twist variation that will keep your hair up and protected.

JLove74

mahogany66 said:
Hi ladies,
Winter time is coming and I really want to put my ends away for this season so I decided to start wearing ponies and buns. So, today I washed and DC's then went to a salon for the bun. She used a black gel with NO alcohol and sat me under the dryer for about 30 minutes afterwards she pinned the hair (human hair) into a bun. She said it should last for 2 wks.

My concern is NOt being able to TOUCH my hair for two weeks to moisturize my ends :confused: Also, I am not familiar with GELS. Are they damaging?

What do ya'll do with buns and ponies?

Before I came to the board I loved me some gel. But now I shudder at the thought. I use mango butter to smooth down the edges when I wear a ponytail. I don't know what I would do If I couldn't mess w/my hair for 2 weeks.....:eek:

mahogany66

camellia said:
I see. It's important to keep your hair up off of your shoulder while it's at that "in between" length. :)

Is an up do without the added hair an option for you? I ask because that way you'd be able to take it down whenever you wanted to moisturize or wash your hair. With shoulder length, or just below shoulder length hair you can do a pretty French twist variation that will keep your hair up and protected.

I am horrible with styling my hair but I am definitely going to practice because eventhough my hair looks nice like this , for some reason it doesn't feel like it is doing my hair any good and healthy hair is more important to me than a cute style.

mahogany66

JLove74 said:
Before I came to the board I loved me some gel. But now I shudder at the thought. I use mango butter to smooth down the edges when I wear a ponytail. I don't know what I would do If I couldn't mess w/my hair for 2 weeks.....:eek:

girl, I know. :lol:..Next time I will just get a regular pony without the gel until I learn how to do it myself.

Hi,

Have you considered a baggie bun. Check out my album for an alternative to using a phony phony & incorporating a baggie at the same time. This is what saved me in protecting my ends from shoulder to APL w/o phony ponies.

Bests!

mahogany66

SerenityBreeze said:
Hi,

Have you considered a baggie bun. Check out my album for an alternative to using a phony phony & incorporating a baggie at the same time. This is what saved me in protecting my ends from shoulder to APL w/o phony ponies.

Bests!

ooh thanks a bunch, I am definitely going to try this next week, it looks easy and more importantly, it's HEALTHIER for my hair. I can't wait!!!:yay:.

I am happy I could help. You can also use a black plastic bag vs a clear one to help in the blending in. Hey anything to preserve our ends!!

naturaline

luvly idea!!! ive been wearin my hair like this lately but never thought to add a baggie! WOW im gunna try it!!!

gorgeoushair

I believe there are some good moisturizing gels out there. I beleive Fantasia makes some good ones. Maybe you could do your own buns and phonies-weariing them for one week and then wash at the end of the week.

mahogany66

That is exactly what I will do because she put too much hair on my head so I unwrapped it and cut half off and now it looks more natural. I used the weave type human hair so I can take it out every night to moisturize my ends and wrap it on my pony in the morning, It was not as hard as I thought. I can definitely do this or SerenityBreeze's up-do when I want to hide my ends. :)

KathyMay

When doing the baggie with phoney pony or bun I forget the gel and get a thick moisturizer and mix it with a "light" serum or oil. For instance I use my beloved ORS Olive oil lotion with a light of CD Some of Margurite's Magic and use Kemi oil or NTM serum most importantly add oil to the ends and bag it up.

When I am doing my donut bun I spray my ends with S Curl mixed with oil. HTH