Bun/chignon challenge

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Trell said:
Hi I am fairly new to the group and would love to hop on this bandwagon. I have one question though, if you don't have enough hair to put into a bun can you "fake it, til you make it"? I am currently wearing my hair braided in front with an afro-puff in the back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome Trell!

I is nothing wrong with that. I have to do the same thing and everything is going well for me. I think the idea of the bun challenge is to keep your hair up and concealed so the ends stay protected. You never know after this challenge is over you may have enough of your real hair to put in a bun! Wouldn't that be great!

babyblue113

Bodicea:

I saw that you use ayurvedic oils in your hair album. How are those working out. Are they really good at moisturizing your hair?

felicia

i'm in too. i dont know how to do a bun. so i bought a fake one, but i'm kinda embarassed to wear it *blush*

Boadicea

The ayurvedic oils are great for strengthening your hair, but I'm really not sure about moisturising it because I always use a conditioner afterwards out of habit. However, I also use plain EVOO and I find that not only does it strengthen my hair, but it moisturizes it really well.

Phonyponies do count, because your hair is tucked away in a bun underneath. In fact, I own a phonypony myself.

If you don't know how to make a bun, cheat your way at it with a Whirlastyle. All you need is at least 5 inches of hair (after it's put in a ponytail). They come in small, medium and large. I own one large and two smalls. The medium ones just came out in stores a short while ago and I may go and get myself two of those. You can find them in Claire's.

If you're afraid to wear a phonypony or phonybun because you think it may come off, use updo pins in clear or your hair color. This keeps your hair concealed and it also adds extra support.

If you're late to the challenge, join in, anyway.
Everyone's welcome.

anikalia

Although I can't completely abide by this challenge, I wanted to give it a shout and throw in my 2 cents.

My ends feel better and less knots by keeping my hair up most of the time. I only wear my hair out now only half the time I go out on weekends. That's maybe 4 times a month. Shampooing hair only to put it back in a bun did take some getting used to. But new growth in a bun is much easier to ignore when you think you're due for a touch up.

anikalia

Although I can't completely abide by this challenge, I wanted to give it a shout and throw in my 2 cents.

My ends feel better and less knots by keeping my hair up most of the time. I only wear my hair out now only half the time I go out on weekends. That's maybe 4 times a month. Shampooing hair only to put it back in a bun did take some getting used to. But when you think you're due for a touch up, new growth in a bun is much easier to ignore.

model_chick717

Count me in!!! I'm going to be taking out my sew-in weave tomorrow and have decided to join the challenge! It's going to be a little difficult for me because I'm so use to changing my hairstyle fairly often....but I love a challenge. I have a short-term goal of trying to complete a whole month with just wearing buns or phony-ponies--hey, you have to crawl before you walk. haha

chicamorena

I plan on having my hair in a bun until my next touchup which should be around April. Hopefully I can stick to it. I'll probably cheat once b/c I'm so horrible at putting my hair up.

L

LaNecia

I almost always wear my hair in a pony tail (pulled way too tight) but you ladies have helped cure me of that in just a little under a week! I can't do the buns & rolls, I'm a shortie but the phony pony is right up my alley!

I'm in!

aqualung

I've established this version of challenge.

weeks 1 & 2:
After a touchup, I wear the rollerset straight style either down or up in a clip for 1-2 weeks. I still eat a lot of protein and take MSM during that period, but I do nothing with my hair.

weeks 3-8 or 10:
Then, until the next touchup, I wear the same braided vaselined bun M-F (surging when I remember to), and the ringlets down on the weekend.

Last week during the touchup, my stylist admitted that my ends were in good shape considering that he hadn't seen me in 3 months. (Since my hair is fine, he expects the worst for my ends.) He even double checked that I wanted the $20 1/4 inch trim.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
......If you don't know how to make a bun, cheat your way at it with a Whirlastyle. All you need is at least 5 inches of hair (after it's put in a ponytail). They come in small, medium and large. I own one large and two smalls. The medium ones just came out in stores a short while ago and I may go and get myself two of those. You can find them in Claire's.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been waiting on the medium ones since I don't have this size for me nor my girls. I hope the Claire's in this area has them in now... I'll check for it tomorrow while I'm out. Thanks for posting!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I am. And I say we renew it when it's over. Bo lead us into battle!

[/ QUOTE ]

Once u guys renew the challenge...Im in! Well, I'm already starting right now since Ive seen the most success with wearing buns to retain hair length.

Boadicea

Roger Wil-ko!

I think for most of us on this challenge, protective styles have really helped with retaining length in the long run, allowing us to reach our goals more quickly.

I'll be happy to start a new one.

DatJerseyDyme

I fell off for a few weeks due to breakge..but after my relaxer on the 26th, I'm gonna try again for the remainder of the challenge. :0

B

ballet_bun

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
Roger Wil-ko!

I think for most of us on this challenge, protective styles have really helped with retaining length in the long run, allowing us to reach our goals more quickly.

I'll be happy to start a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lil' ol' me wants to join too! I'm way late on this, but I would like to be in the new one ...whenever that starts. I could make myself start now though
!!! Are there any other late joiners? Is this just for buns or all protective styles, which hides/protects the ends?

<font color="pink"> Ballet Bun </font>

good2uuuu

Well, I'm in on this challenge. I just joined the site and have already worn a bun 3 days. I even tried a side bun today. I use to wear buns all the time, but got tired of them. But, since it is protective, I will continue to wear it as long as I can stand it...lol.