breaking hair, what else can she do now....

YummyC

My girlfriend started taking care of her hair a few weeks ago but she says it wont stop breaking. So far, she did an apoghee tretament and a deep con and its still breaking. I told her to try less manipulation and only finger comb. I also told her to moisturize twice a day. What else can she do? She says there are little short hairs every where... help???? She is so mad at me right now because she says if she was flat ironing like she use to, then it would not break as much ( i dont beleive this one) In any case..any suggestions would help. TIA

I used KerapHix and Emergencee, alternating each week. These products stopped my shedding immediately, but I didn't have "breakage" at the time. However, my stylist swears by emergencee for breakage. She tells me to use emergencee, rinse and then use a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Does she know the cause of the breakage?

I would suggest her getting a good trim a heavy protein treatment, followed by a good deep moisturizer and by all means get rid of that dog-gone flat iron!!!

That could possibly be her culprit.

webby said:
I used KerapHix and Emergencee, alternating each week. These products stopped my shedding immediately, but I didn't have "breakage" at the time. However, my stylist swears by emergencee for breakage. She tells me to use emergencee, rinse and then use a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Does she know the cause of the breakage?

She says she does not know why its breaking. She also said that she was doing bantu knots last week, I told her to give that a rest for a while. I will tell her about the emergencee, thanks Webby

TonicaG said:
I would suggest her getting a good trim a heavy protein treatment, followed by a good deep moisturizer and by all means get rid of that dog-gone flat iron!!!

TRIM!!! She is not into trimmming, trying to hold on to everything, I will mention that too though. Thanks TonicaG

TonicaG said:

I definitely recommend a good trim too, but you know most of us gals are scurred to death (where's the smilie of the girl shivering in her boots) to lose length :lol:

Me...I'll cut bad ends with the quickness.

i just spoke to her and she is willing to try anything, she says "Kojak here I come" :) she is so silly. Thanks ladies.

When your hair is damaged it takes a bit of time to get it on track. Even when you are doing all the right things. It won't become healthy overnight.

If her hair is severly damaged, then nothing can save it. Aphogee, deep conditionings... they are great for hair, but hair that is damaged to the point in which it has to break off is going to break off no matter what you do.

The thing about it is that she can't expect miracles from the hair on her head. If it's damaged it probably will never behave like healthy hair. The thing to do now is to take care of the hair on her head, but keep in mind that it may be unsalvageable. IMO a trim in this case is a must, any damage in the ends will travel up the shaft and ruin less damaged hair.

katie said:
When your hair is damaged it takes a bit of time to get it on track. Even when you are doing all the right things. It won't become healthy overnight.
So true. Once the hair is damaged there is nothing you can do to revert it, but you can maintain the length and keep the new growth healthy.

ITA w/all the ladies. She needs that trim. When my ends were really bad, I had little hairs sticking to my clothes everywhere. No protein treatment or moisturizing conditioner could remedy it. The rest of my hair looked great... but the ends... :nono:

If she'll trim her hair and do the emergencee & deep conditioning, I think it will be much better. She probably won't need to trim toooo much either.

I know she is reading this lol, she has not joined yet but she does browse. So "R", listen to the ladies and get that trim :) Happy Hair Growing Babe.

Thanks for all the responses ladies.

Back