Breakage - is there a normal amount?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Newbie question here...I understand that some shedding is natural but what about breakage? Is there bound to be some breakage no matter what you do? I don't have a lot of breakage but I seems to be upset by ANY breakage...Let me qualify the question - I use heat, I blow dry and flat iron and honestly in terms of breakage there is probably less than 20 broken strands on wash day (not including shedded strands). I don't use a comb in between wash days so the daily breakage would be less than 5 say during my night time prep.
I apologize if this was asked already - this new search engine takes some getting use to I guess.

I think I read we have on average about 100K strands of hair on our heads. So if 20 break in a week that's negligible in my opinion.

I've never counted hairs so I can't compare with mine or my children's hair. I know something's wrong if hair is coming out in large clumps. But small amounts I don't worry about. Maybe others will chime in.

breakage is inevitable....i only see mine on wash day when i detangle.....i would think 20 strands would be nothing if you wash 1-2 times a week, unless you're seeing 20 strands of breakage everyday.

Oh goody:) I would have probably caused a protein overload trying to stop it all together - MAN I LOVE THIS SITE:)

I would like to know too, your regimen is almost similar to mine... and this occurs to me too, but its normal for me....

Thanks for asking this questions OP. I was thinking about this the other day when I was detangling. I get about 30 broken strands per week when I detangle. I wanted to ask the ladies here but didn't want to fight my son for the computer.
Thanks for the answers ladies!

I panic at the site of any breakage, but I'm feeling less anxious now that the ladies have chimed in! I usually get about 10-15 broken hairs when I detangle 2x a week so I suppose that's normal. Thanks for this topic OP!

BUMP!!
I was wondering the same thing about breakage. Even with my 3 inches of hair I notice a little piece of hair here or there.

Back