Brazilian Blowout Disaster!

winnettag

Ok, so a friend of mine had her hair in braids and decided to let her friend, who's a stylist, do the brazilian blowout on her hair for only $100.....a real deal right? NOT!!!!
He made it seem like he knew how to handle black hair and he didn't at all....she was basically an experiment.
I was there to see if he did a good job, so that he could do my hair too.

First she gets there right after taking her braids out (4:30pm) and lets him shampoo with the clarifier without detangling it.:wallbash: But that was her fault because she knew better than to let him do that. :nono:
I got there afterward (7pm) and was helping get the knots out but she was frustrated and tearing through it...she had even cut some parts before I got there......yes, the stylist is making her detangle her own hair.

Then, by the time we finish detangling and he finishes his other client, the shop is closing so we have to finish at a friends house. :ohwell:

So he puts too little of the product on her hair and each strand of hair is definitely not coated.

Then he starts blowdrying all randomly, creating more tangles than he was getting out and ripping out hair.

Then he flat irons it on the hottest setting and it smelled like completely burned hair.

Then he burned her on the eyelid with the flatiron.

When he finished it was around midnight and guess what?! Her hair wasn't even straight!! I can get my hair to look like hers did with just blowdrying it (we're both type 4 naturals).

And then, even though he told her it would be free after messing up like that, she still paid him for it!

Rant over....I could have have done a better job, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and do my own BKT now.

It hurt me to watch this whole ordeal.

Last edited:

Aggie

All I can say is WOW!

My stylist have been trying to talk me into doing that Brazilian blowout on my fine tresses and I keep telling her no:nono: way. I know what that kind of heat can do to my fine hair. I doubt I will ever have that done. I am so sorry this happened to your friend and hope that her hair recovers quickly.

lilikoi

It was painful to read this.

I'm sorry your friend (and you!) went through such an awful experience.:sad:

LHCF Ladies: We are strong and knowledgeable. We really have to take our hair care into our own hands and be brave enough to take a stand (or run away!) at the first sign that a stylist doesn't know what he/she is doing or , worse, doesn't care.

P.S. I can't believe he charged her!

lusciousladie07

Ok,
Is she sort of a shy person? I ask because I used to let people just do whatever in my hair when years ago and wouldn't speak up for myself.

I definately would have stopped him at the shampoo.. especially if you have me detangling my own head. And I wouldn't have paid him.

I would have her wash it out and deep condition immediately! Start combating the damage now. Hopefully is not that bad

winnettag

Ok,
Is she sort of a shy person? I ask because I used to let people just do whatever in my hair when years ago and wouldn't speak up for myself.

I definately would have stopped him at the shampoo.. especially if you have me detangling my own head. And I wouldn't have paid him.

I would have her wash it out and deep condition immediately! Start combating the damage now. Hopefully is not that bad

Good question.
No, she's not shy at all! I'm the shy one, but I would have hit the door running! I've learned my lessons.

She told him that she needed to put conditioner on to detangle it but he said no, you can't put anything on the hair, it has to be clean...... I'm thinking, yea, that's why you clarify AFTER detangling with the conditioner...to get the conditioner out.

Glitter

Oh my goodness, that hurt reading that. What type of damage was done to your friend's hair by the botched application? How is she caring for her hair after this?

Also, still trying to figure out how the stylist burned her eyelid. That's just an unprofessional professional right there.

ms.blue

Why would she get anything done right after taking her braids out. The hair is so fragile at this point also washing especially with clarifying shampoo without detangling is such a no no. She should had said stop at the momment he wanted to wash her hair. Anyways, I hope your friend's hair recover and she should get her money back.

OH WOW......that's all that I can really say.

You should direct your friend to LHCF so she can work on her recovery STAT. I feel for here, but I think many of us have been there a time or two. I know I have.

winnettag

Oh my goodness, that hurt reading that. What type of damage was done to your friend's hair by the botched application? How is she caring for her hair after this?

Also, still trying to figure out how the stylist burned her eyelid. That's just an unprofessional professional right there.

She has some serious heat damage and it is very thin because so much hair was ripped and cut out. She did something to straighten it more the next day (I think more flatironing) and got extensions put in to make it fuller and longer.
Yea, of all the times I've been burned when getting my hair done, it was never on my eyelid. And ear or forehead I could understand, lol.:grin:

Why would she get anything done right after taking her braids out. The hair is so fragile at this point also washing especially with clarifying shampoo without detangling is such a no no. She should had said stop at the momment he wanted to wash her hair. Anyways, I hope your friend's hair recover and she should get her money back.

SHe wanted it to look good for her birthday and she didn't have time to take the braids out before then (I would have made time or just kept the braids in).
I think part of the reason she didn't say anything was because he was her "friend" and was doing it for a big discount. :nono:

OH WOW......that's all that I can really say.

You should direct your friend to LHCF so she can work on her recovery STAT. I feel for here, but I think many of us have been there a time or two. I know I have.

I've told her about LHCF several times. She's only half way interested in hair care at this point and still not ready to get this involved, but I'll mention it again now that this has happened...maybe she'll be more open to helping her hair recover now.

MarieB

He burned her eyelid, and she still paid him? This is why I just don't do salons. I'd have to cut somebody.

BostonMaria

I cringed with every sentence. The minute he shampoo'd and didn't detangle would've been the minute I grabbed my keys, ran to my car LOL

He burned her eyelid, and she still paid him? This is why I just don't do salons. I'd have to cut somebody.

:lachen: LMAO

Anew

Geez why do people let folks do things like this to their hair???

She probably should've waited a few days before that blow out at the minimum. Yikes!

He def wasn't the right choice. But I mean let the hair rest before doing anything so drastic even if the person knew what they were doing

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Wow. Very painful to read.

After the recent threads this week I have decided that anything at the salon ending in "blowout" is not for me a my 4a/b kinks.

Janet'

That sounds like a terrible ordeal, indeed! How does your friend feel about everything now that it's all said and done?

sunbubbles

Yea, Im cringing just reading this! Ive already decided that when I eventually try the BKT. I and I ALONE will be doing it by myself!! I hope your friend is able to recover from this!

mscocoface

Doesn't sound like she is ready to start healthy hair care practices just yet. But as long as she is listening to you half way then keep instructing until she either gets it or you get tired of talking.

That story is one of the worst I have ever read and I have read some doozys.

lux10023

gasppppppppp...
YOU CAN NOT TAKE HAIR OUT OF BRAIDS THAT HAVE BEEN IN FOR AWHILE AND NOT DETANGLE...IT IS IMPERATIVE

the end result is like you stated having to damn near cut your knots out of your hair...
i wish her all the best--lesson learned ;o(

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
All I can say is WOW!

My stylist have been trying to talk me into doing that Brazilian blowout on my fine tresses and I keep telling her no:nono: way. I know what that kind of heat can do to my fine hair. I doubt I will ever have that done. I am so sorry this happened to your friend and hope that her hair recovers quickly.

first - i am soooo sorry that happened to your friend! when are we gonna learn to WALK OUT. (not yelling, just mad for your friend) i wish she had walked out on him. that's a shame for her. so glad you are not gonna let
him touch your hair.

second - what aggie said. i don't trust bkt. i just don't.

UrbainChic

OMG Horrible.

I have friends who are stylists but not well versed in highly textured hair. They know better than to "experiment" with a friends head and not be up front about not knowing. That could kill a friendship! They have in the past referred me to people who were more knowledgeable.

Also, we've discussed me letting them do my hair, ( haven't ventured down that road yet despite several years of being friends) but because we are friends, I am also not going to sit there and let them do something that is detrimental to my hair type! No way!

I'm sorry this happened but I also don't understand fully how this happened. In my mind the fact that they are friends should totally lubricate the communication channels, before during and after the process!

Its so important to be assertive. SO important.

winnettag

Why didn't you stop him? When I go to the salon with my family I am >>right there<< in the stylists area all up in their chair. No wonder they hate it when I go to the salon with them :grin:

Well, if I had been there fromn the begining I wouldn't have let him shampoo without detangling first.
But I thought after I helped her detangle that the worst of it was over and he knew what to do from there..... I was wrong.
I think I'll just do it for her next time so she sees how it's supposed to be done.

QUESTION LADIES:
Do you have to keep the blowout straight for 3 days like the BKT?

NEWYORK20004

Ok, so a friend of mine had her hair in braids and decided to let her friend, who's a stylist, do the brazilian blowout on her hair for only $100.....a real deal right? NOT!!!!
He made it seem like he knew how to handle black hair and he didn't at all....she was basically an experiment.
I was there to see if he did a good job, so that he could do my hair too.

First she gets there right after taking her braids out (4:30pm) and lets him shampoo with the clarifier without detangling it.:wallbash: But that was her fault because she knew better than to let him do that. :nono:
I got there afterward (7pm) and was helping get the knots out but she was frustrated and tearing through it...she had even cut some parts before I got there......yes, the stylist is making her detangle her own hair.

Then, by the time we finish detangling and he finishes his other client, the shop is closing so we have to finish at a friends house. :ohwell:

So he puts too little of the product on her hair and each strand of hair is definitely not coated.

Then he starts blowdrying all randomly, creating more tangles than he was getting out and ripping out hair.

Then he flat irons it on the hottest setting and it smelled like completely burned hair.

Then he burned her on the eyelid with the flatiron.

When he finished it was around midnight and guess what?! Her hair wasn't even straight!! I can get my hair to look like hers did with just blowdrying it (we're both type 4 naturals).

And then, even though he told her it would be free after messing up like that, she still paid him for it!

Rant over....I could have have done a better job, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and do my own BKT now.

It hurt me to watch this whole ordeal.

He didnt make her pay, she offered:sad:

winnettag

That sounds like a terrible ordeal, indeed! How does your friend feel about everything now that it's all said and done?

She said she wouldn't recommend it for our hair and wouldn't pay to get it done again, but I told her that it's not supposed to look like that when all is said and done.
She says it gets wavy when wet, but not curly (and from what I saw, that's probably just heat damage, not the loosening effects of the product)

But she got a full weave the next day and only left a tiny bit out at the top, so we aren't going to know the full extent of the damage until that weave comes out.

OMG Horrible.

I have friends who are stylists but not well versed in highly textured hair. They know better than to "experiment" with a friends head and not be up front about not knowing. That could kill a friendship! They have in the past referred me to people who were more knowledgeable.

Also, we've discussed me letting them do my hair, ( haven't ventured down that road yet despite several years of being friends) but because we are friends, I am also not going to sit there and let them do something that is detrimental to my hair type! No way!

I'm sorry this happened but I also don't understand fully how this happened. In my mind the fact that they are friends should totally lubricate the communication channels, before during and after the process!

Its so important to be assertive. SO important.

This!!! :yep: