Braidouts Might be the Answer... for Growth an for Life.

MissMeWithThatIsh

I'm getting increasingly sick of the wait for my hair to grow... and although I've texturized, I'm pretty sure there will be some reversion...

So I'm thinking of learning how to do braidouts for growth. Once I have long hair (MBL) I plan on doing braid outs anyway. I think it would be easier to deal with, being that my hair is so thick and it's easy to maintain depending on what big or small you want your curls to be. Given that my hair has 3 sizes of curl and takes for ever to dry, I think it's time I learn to nourish and manage my hair with long term braidouts...

Hesitant to give up wigs for the time being, I can practice my cornrows (they are not nice!) so that if I don't unbraid, they at least loook nice for the day.

Where can I learn to do braidouts?

CurlyMoo

I really like the bantu knots and two strands twists. They are soft unlike the braids. The twist outs are usually softer and have more defined loose waves. I am using MT so my hair is usually in the two strand twist.

NewYorkgyrl

I totally understand where u are coming from. That is why I had to stop doing the wash and go. I was losing too much hair, geting alot of knots and matting, and not retaining length. So now I can finally (after over a year of being natural) be serious on haircare and growth.

I don't know how to braid that well so I just do twists. I use to do flat twists straight back but now I do flat twists in the front and individual twists in the back. I keep it in that style during the work week and then rock a twist out on the weekends
***Pic in siggy****

Good luck and I hope you reach you hair goals!! :yep:

gabulldawg

I swear by twistouts. That's my hairstyle that I fall back on. It took me a while to learn how to do flat two-strand twists, but I'm a pro now and can do it just like the professionals. I can't BELIEVE I used to pay people to do that to my hair! I definitely think that it makes my hair grow as well. It's also good because it "hides" your hair in a way so that you don't really know your true length, which makes the reveal day a bigger surprise.

Dposh167

i think braidouts are a great option. I did them all summer long...before i realized It kept heat off my hair for 2 months straight. By the time i finally flat ironed my hair...it was fab-o-lous. my ends hardly needed a trim..and my hair retained so much growth. I'm gonna try to do this during the fall too

metro_qt

I'm texurized/texlaxed too.. so I understand about your drying time, it literally takes my hair a whole day to dry when I wash it cuz it's so thick. I have 3 diff types of curl too...

Right now, i've done a braid out. I washed it last night and followed
SYLVER2's method. (didn't mean to call her out like that)
All the information is in for fotki, which is open for anyone to browse...
She gives really great and *detailed* information about step by step braid outs.

hope that helps, and good luck!

Kneechay

I totally understand where u are coming from. That is why I had to stop doing the wash and go. I was losing too much hair, geting alot of knots and matting, and not retaining length. So now I can finally (after over a year of being natural) be serious on haircare and growth.

I don't know how to braid that well so I just do twists. I use to do flat twists straight back but now I do flat twists in the front and individual twists in the back. I keep it in that style during the work week and then rock a twist out on the weekends
***Pic in siggy****

Good luck and I hope you reach you hair goals!! :yep:

And i agree with Gabulldawg also, twistouts work so much better and are softer. So easy to do and maintain. Cute to rock anywhere. I wear it all week to work and to class, I've noticed thickening and growth for sure. Also check my profile for my posted threads, I put a flat twist tutorial up, the results are nice. Hope this helps!