Do braidouts prevent growth?

bee

I was reading on the "stuck at SL" thread and one of the posters wrote that braidouts are what's keeping some of us at SL. If this is true, this may be why I'm stuck at this length! I wear braidouts 80-90% of the time.

Has anyone grown their hair long with braidouts? Is there any truth to the fact that braidouts are too much manipulation, which can stunt growth?

My hair grows like a weed with braid outs. Braid-outs and wash n' go's are when I get tons of growth. I think mainly because of the low manipulation and no heat. Whenever I want some fast growth retention I just do braid or twist-outs.:yep:

How would they be too much manipulation though?:ohwell:

What part of a braidout do you consider too much manipulation, the braiding?

I wear a braidout bun/pony 90% of the time and have no problems. When I first started wearing this style I would soak my hair with water and rebraid it every night to get good wave definition. My hair is fragile when wet, so after a while I think that caused me to lose some hair. Now I rebraid on damp (mostly dry) hair. I've also found that I still have enough definition the 2nd day for a bun so I rebraid every other night or just do one big braid instead.

I wear a braidout bun/pony 90% of the time and have no problems. When I first started wearing this style I would soak my hair with water and rebraid it every night to get good wave definition. My hair is fragile when wet, so after a while I think that caused me to lose some hair. Now I rebraid on damp (mostly dry) hair. I've also found that I still have enough definition the 2nd day for a bun so I rebraid every other night or just do one big braid instead.

During my relaxer days, braidouts proved damaging to my crown area. I guess I pulled too tight when plaiting. The demarcation line couldn't take it. So then I just started doing bantu knots and it proved less manipulation on my relaxed hair, and the wave/body was still just as nice after I took the bantu knots down the next day.

Last edited:

:yep: ITA! I lose less hair when I rebraid damp (not soaking wet) hair. I can't say that this style has helped my hair grow, but I don't think it's damaged my hair either. I'm in between SL and APL, so I know what you're going thru. Maybe you should try braiding it when it's dry and use some scurl for moisture. Good Luck!

I don't know if it's the manipulation, or possibly just the length. I would be more worried about my ends rubbing on my shoulders than about the braid-out process itself.

Look up Sylver2. :yep:

She grew her hair to WSL with her super-super low mani braidout regimen.

I think she said in another thread that for awhile her hair was frizzy and wild-looking for a while [or something like that sorry]

but um, yeah, if it's not working for you find something new.

Nope, Me & my Sister in law have used the braidout method for many years. She grew her hair to BSL (relaxed)

And I'm on my way there. but I'm transitioniing.

We do cornrow braidouts.

I usually wear wash n' gos, twist outs and an occasional fro. I like them cuz i dont have to comb my hair. I thought that they were methods of protective styling.

Not for me. I think it has to do with one's method. I braid my hair (4 braids) while in the shower rinsing out conditioner. I don't get much breakage at all. My guess is the power from the faucet helps with detangling and parting.:yep: For those days when I feel the need to freshen up the braid out, I use my fingers to part/comb through and put in a leave in (the moisture from the leave in is good enough so that I don't have to fool around with actual water...my hair is very fragile when wet). My hair would def. break and get damaged if I were to say "wet my hair" and try to comb through it.:nono:

I doubt it. Unless you are braiding really tight that your follicles are being torn out I don't think it prevents growth.

I was reading on the "stuck at SL" thread and one of the posters wrote that braidouts are what's keeping some of us at SL. If this is true, this may be why I'm stuck at this length! I wear braidouts 80-90% of the time.

Has anyone grown their hair long with braidouts? Is there any truth to the fact that braidouts are too much manipulation, which can stunt growth?

SL is one of the most difficult, if not THE most trickiest stages to get over, because the ends graze directly over the shoulders, fabrics snag on and break ends, car seats rub and add too much stress, etc...

As many of the longer-haired ladies have said, I too doubt braidouts are preventing growth. I think the length you have, and the styles you choose to wear are making it to difficult to retain. Spend the next few months wearing it up....giving it enough time for you to gain and retain some extra inches that PASS the shoulders. Once you pass the SL hump, you're pretty much good to go.

Don't get me wrong ladies, I LOVE braidouts! It's the sexiest hairstyle I wear. I get constant compliments when I wear my hair that way.

I was just asking because when I read in the "stuck at SL" thread that braidouts may keep one at SL, I just had to ask for my own benefit.

I will continue this style through the summer. My hair is definitely thicker because this style uses no heat. I have up-ed my CW's so hopefully, I'll get past SL this summer!

Thanks Ladies!

I don't know if it's the manipulation, or possibly just the length. I would be more worried about my ends rubbing on my shoulders than about the braid-out process itself.

:yep:.
When I take my hair out of braids, my hair touches my shoulders which is one of the reasons why I am not for braidouts :nono:.

Braidouts work well for me. Anytime my hair is braided my hair growth increases. It really takes off.:yep:

I fell asleep, waiting for my hair to airdry. It was still wet, so I couldn't braid it and expect it to be dry in 3-4 hours. I threw on my half-wigg and went to work. I'll rinse tonight (a wee bit earlier!) and try for the braid out tomorrow.

I need to start a personal challenge to see if braidouts can get me past SL this summer!

Back