Braiding options for longer hair

EmeraldSky

Theres been a lot of talk about braids and I've seen a few members with gorgeous braids. I have been considering getting my hair braided for the winter as a semi protective style since winter is really harsh on my hair and I was wondering if anyone with shoulder length or longer hair has ever gotten the small (not micro) braids where it's braided for a few inches then the ends are loose and wavy? I'm wondering if my hair has to be shorter in order for this style to work since I'm figuring they would have to braid past the length of my own hair. I don't know much about the style other than it involves extensions, I've seen the style on a few women in person and pictures of Beyonce, also jetcitygirl has a beautiful picture of her hair braided in the same style. Anyway, I have tried asking braiders this question but most of the braiders in my area do not speak english well so I figured who better to ask than you guys

Thanks in advance!

phynestone

Since your hair is long, I don't know if you want the braids you mentioned, unless you want the hair to be even longer. I'm going to get a sewn-in weave (my first weave) to see how it pans out for the winter. That way, my ends aren't exposed and my hair protected from the harsh winter winds. There's always conrows and you could look at old styles that Beyonce and Brandy had. Hope this helps.

E

EgyptianSand16

how about this style: Get your hair braided into a ponytail and you can wrap the ends around, making it look like a cornrow bun. Do you understand? What do you think about that style? Or you could try this style
I will be soon

ComfortablyNumb

I've had my hair braided I have longer hair. The only problem is, the braids will usually have to be reeeeeaaaally long. If you don't mind them being very long (mid back or longer) then it is okay. Sometimes braiders try to charge an arm and a leg to braid long hair to the ends though.