Box braids with natural relaxed hair

HAs anyone experience breakage or severe shedding from braiding their natural hair in box braids(not natural as in not relaxed but natural as in without synthetics). The reason that I ask this is because im considering making the switch from no lye to probably Affirm Lye even though im still scared because if it causes excessive shedding i have a lot of hair to lose and i dont want to have any setbacks in my growth. Do you guys think i should switch i dont really have any problem with no lye as far as i can see. Ive been using no lye for 4 years and was natural before. Im really trying to see waist length by summer time(about 4inches to go and i have new growth right now whoopee) Hopefully i get no breakage..Anyways i hear that box braids with your natural hair can be left for 1 month if tied up properly? How will i be able to wash it? I only wash every 2 weeks anyways.Its hard to deal with my hair with new growth especially wrapping it at night so is box braiding a wise decision..Thansk for any advise in advance and one more question do any of you think that straw sets would come out looking funny on someone with hair past bra strap. I find that straw sets look better when they just hit your chin or below.

LondonDiva

Meinzz

First off if I have done it already CONGRATULATIONS on your hair length and the short way you have to go before you get to waist length.

It took me a lil while to understand your post. But I'm assuming you basically just want to braid your own hair without using extension hair right?

I've done this a while back and with new growth and relaxed hair it wasn't a problem. I think the bigger the braid the better and if well looked after they can stay in for about 4 weeks.

I also washed and conditioned mine and found it freshened up the do. In this case moisture is the key and please keep that newgrowth well moisturised and conditioned, because when you take the braids out you don't want more manipulation on the stress point between the two textures. I'll dig up the post I made about it for you.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
If no-lye is working for you I don't think you should switch. If it ain't broke... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ms_kenesha

A straw set on BS length hair I think would look GORGEOUS!!! I was at the salon one day and a woman with just that length hair got a straw set and when it was dry it was maybe two inches below her shoulders and SOOOO BEAUTIFUL. The only problem is that I know the stylist will charge you WAY more money, another pretty alternative would be to get a flexi rod set. There are different widths to flexi rods for different looks and flexi rod sets help disguise the new growth factor as well. Either style you choose would look really beautiful on BS length hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif