Blow drying

Sal

When I blow dry my hair it gets frizzy,dry and big and
it can't be straightened with an iron after I blowdry it
Does anyone else have this? Does this mean I need a heat protectant?

chocolate01

I don't use heat on my hair very often anymore but I think I can still help. In my opinion you should always use some type of heat protectant when blow drying, if im not mistaken a good leave-in should do the job. As far as your hair being frizzy and dry sounds like you need to moisturize your hair. If I use a cream leave-in my hair stays pretty much moisturized, if I use a liquid leave-in I usually spray some wonder 8 oil on my hair and then blow dry. HTH

ladylibra_30

when i decide to blowdry i try to do a deep conditioning tx as a buffer to the heat. i use a good leave-in/blowdry serum (i.e. salerm or keracare silken seal)

start in the back and dry small sections (1 x 3) and keep the hand held dryer moving. you will have a smooth finish. last, add a little more oil, serum, moisturizer (you choose) and smooth with a flat iron or a big barrel curling iron and then wrap your hair. in the end you will have light, silky, swingy hair

OR

rollerset and use a good leave in/foam. when hair is dry remove rollers and blowdry hair in small sections (like above) add serum and then wrap. to me, you'll have even better results this way (that is if you must use a blowdryer)

OR

skip the blowdryer all together and do a rollerset. when the set is dry; wrap the hair (put plastic wrap around wrap) and go back under the dryer for 10 min

Allandra

When you blow dry your hair, are you blow drying it in sections (small, but not too small)? It's best to blow dry it in sections vs. blow drying all of it together. Jainygirl started a thread about this. If I can find it, I'll bump it up.

renee_n_3000

Sal, are you using an air concentrator attachment on the end of the dryer when you use it? If not, a concentrator will keep the air confined to the section of hair you are working on and prevent it from getting big and frizzy.

Also, have you tried letting your hair air dry before flat ironing it? This is what I do when I want an extra-straight, sleek look. My hair comes out much softer, shinier and silkier than it would if I were to use a blowdryer.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I use to have the same problem as you until I discovered Silk Elements Glossing Polish. Here are the steps I take to get no-frizz ends...

1. After I wash, I spray my Motions leave-in conditioner all over my hair.
2.(I occasionally use Surge Plus 14 on my scalp). I apply Profectiv RootHealth to my scalp.
3. If I plan to blowdry my hair with a comb attachment, I place about two quarter sizes of Silk Elements Glossing Polish to my wet/damp hair.
4. Then I blowdry my hair in sections until its smooth and sleek and dry.
5. My hair looks great but ends might still be a little frizzy (not to the point that it looks noticeable or awful). Then I put my mixture of oils and the glossing polish again on my ends to calm down the ends.
6. I either roll it up or wrap my hair so I can get a smooth and sleek look for my hair after taking the rollers out or unwrapping.

Before, I never used any products to blowdry my hair and my hair would look a frizzy mess. Using more products worked for me. It may or may not work for u.

HTH!

Karonica

I think it's good to add a leave-in, comb the hair down, and sit under the hood dryer a while to soak up excess water. Well, I'm only saying this because I had this done Friday.

candibaby

You should always use a heat protectant when using any form of heat on your hair, especially blow drying! Frizz Ease Relax Straight Forward is really good. KeraCare Light Oil Moisturizer is good too. I part my hair into four sections, then apply one or the other, then blowdry section by section. Using a good pomade helps too. Lanza Urban Elements Hair Polish is really good for this purpose. HTH

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
I blow dry every time I wash and this is kinda surprising because any other kind of drying makes my hair a poof ball!

My first question is are you using a comb attachment. This will make your life SOO much easier. You can find a comb attachment at any beauty supply store.

Also, you should definately use some kind of spray in blow dry agent. I've used Surge for the past 6 months and I think it's great. Detangles very well.

Lastly, start in the nape and blowdry forward in sections towards the crown.

LEOLADYSW

[ QUOTE ]
JuJuBoo said:
I blow dry every time I wash and this is kinda surprising because any other kind of drying makes my hair a poof ball!

My first question is are you using a comb attachment. This will make your life SOO much easier. You can find a comb attachment at any beauty supply store.

Also, you should definately use some kind of spray in blow dry agent. I've used Surge for the past 6 months and I think it's great. Detangles very well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree except on the few occasions I have blow dried my hair lately, I used Mizani ThermaElastic leave in mixed with a little evoo.

candibaby

[ QUOTE ]
JuJuBoo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA, the comb attachments definetly make it easier!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
[ QUOTE ]
JuJuBoo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA, the comb attachments definetly make it easier!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!

amy1234

just wanted to add that maybe your blowdryer does not get hot enough? I just recently bought the Solano Top 3200 and it gets really hot and is much better than my old conair ionic dryer. What kind of blowdryer do you use?

kitchen_tician

ITA, with using a heat protectant/leave in/oil. IMO, the attachment is easier, but it doesn't give my hair enough "body" and it's a little poofy.

I prefer using a brush for blowdrying & the blowdryer. It takes lots of practice but it's worth it. I also agree with letting the hair airdry a little before blowdrying.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I don't blowdry my hair often like I used to. ITA with the ladies here giving great suggestions for dealing with the frizz. But if I blowdry, here's what I would do.

1. Airdry my hair naturally

2. While hair is slightly damp, apply a heat protectant, serum, i.e. L'Oreal Vive Intense Smooth Anti-Frizz, and oil

3. Take hair and section into six or more loose braids

4. Remove one braid and begin blowdrying a section at a time. Starting in the back and work towards the front.

5. Apply the oil and the serum on the ends and reapply the heat protectant on hair.

6. Use a ceramic flat iron or large curling iron and press the hair smooth for a just out of the salon look. And use a non alcohol hairspray or spritz to keep the frizzies at bay.

I'm going to shop around for a ceramic curling iron sometime soon. Every now and then I may give my hair a nice treat to show off some length while stretching my relaxer for the summer. </font>

Leslie_C

kitchen tician,
you just gave me a horrible flashback of the one time I recently tried to blow dry my hair with a round brush. Well I got a big section of hair tangled up in the brush and couldnt get it out...and since responded in panic, I made it worse by pulling it and trying to unwind it in different directions. With the help of my boyfriend, we managed to get it out by cutting the bristles off the brush....lol. I still lost a big chunk of hair! NEVER again will I try that, I just dont have those kind of skills!!!:)

Tracy

I know that's right Leslie!
My girl! I can see you now...

"A'right now baby cut the BRISTLES, NOT THE HAIR!"

Leslie_C

LOL @ Tracy....
It was awful, I almost started crying bc I thought we might have to cut it out plus my head was hurting from yanking on it so much...LOL:) ONLY I would or could do something like that....hahaha. Needless to say Ill leave that to the professionals!
by the way thats my sisters name!

Sal

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
When you blow dry your hair, are you blow drying it in sections (small, but not too small)? It's best to blow dry it in sections vs. blow drying all of it together. Jainygirl started a thread about this. If I can find it, I'll bump it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
no I blow dry it all together because I'm very unpatient and thanks for bumping jainygirls thread

Sal

[ QUOTE ]
renee_n_3000 said:
Sal, are you using an air concentrator attachment on the end of the dryer when you use it? If not, a concentrator will keep the air confined to the section of hair you are working on and prevent it from getting big and frizzy.

Also, have you tried letting your hair air dry before flat ironing it? This is what I do when I want an extra-straight, sleek look. My hair comes out much softer, shinier and silkier than it would if I were to use a blowdryer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I use an attachment
no I haven't tried that but I will next time
thx for the tip

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Sal said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]
no I blow dry it all together because I'm very unpatient and thanks for bumping jainygirls thread

[/ QUOTE ]
I just bumped it up for you. The name of the thread is 'HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME...'. Read what jainygirl wrote about blow drying technique.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
kitchen tician,
you just gave me a horrible flashback of the one time I recently tried to blow dry my hair with a round brush. Well I got a big section of hair tangled up in the brush and couldnt get it out...and since responded in panic, I made it worse by pulling it and trying to unwind it in different directions. With the help of my boyfriend, we managed to get it out by cutting the bristles off the brush....lol. I still lost a big chunk of hair! NEVER again will I try that, I just dont have those kind of skills!!!:)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm am sorry to hear that Leslie C. That sounds very painful. I don't use the roundbrush either. I'm sure my experience would be very similar to yours.

I use a one sided brush with plastic bristols. It works great. Let me add, that the teeth on my comb attachments always break off and must be replaced.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Sal said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would help if u blow dry in sections so u can get more of your hair dry and it cuts down drastically on frizziness.