Black Hair Issues- Natural Hair, Weave, & Relaxers

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I think she made some valid points. However, there will always be opposing sides to EVERYTHING....hair is no exception.

*Naturals thinking they are better than relaxed
*Non heat naturals thinking naturals that use heat are traitors
*Relaxed ladies looking at some naturals like "Girrrrrl you need a relaxer over there looking like ALL MY LIFE I HAD TO FIGHT color purple edition"
*Non weave wearers frowning upon the weave heads

It will ALWAYS be something. We can't be naive and think that one day we will all just get along and agree on everything because we are different people, raised in different locations with different point of views. The disconnection lies in people pushing their personal views on others with little to no regard of said person's circumstances/life style. We may not understand why someone wears their hair natural, relaxed, use extensions, color it or straighten it but all in all we should respect it.

Back to the video:
I like the question she asked in the beginning. "How is it a preference, if we never had a choice?"
It's about knowing better and doing better. Some mothers back in the day didn't know how to take care of their own hair let alone their daughters natural hair. But that was then...this is now. Look at the number of new mothers raising little girls and leaving them natural to make their own decisions at a later time about utilizing chemicals. They in turn will probably do the same with their daughters. Rome wasn't built in a day. We are evolving...it's just taking time.

I was raised without a relaxer as a child but got one as an adult. My hair was banging with one and without one so to me it's not a huge issue. I was also raised wearing braids through out the summer and watching my step sister put in quick weaves before the advancement of sew ins. I like it all and have no ill feelings toward the way one decides to rock their hair. Whatever makes you feel comfortable or beautiful...I can dig it.

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I think she made some valid points. However, there will always be opposing sides to EVERYTHING....hair is no exception.

*Naturals thinking they are better than relaxed
*Non heat naturals thinking naturals that use heat are traitors
*Relaxed ladies looking at some naturals like "Girrrrrl you need a relaxer over there looking like ALL MY LIFE I HAD TO FIGHT color purple edition"
*Non weave wearers frowning upon the weave heads

It will ALWAYS be something. We can't be naive and think that one day we will all just get along and agree on everything because we are different people, raised in different locations with different point of views. The disconnection lies in people pushing their personal views on others with little to no regard of said person's circumstances/life style. We may not understand why someone wears their hair natural, relaxed, use extensions, color it or straighten it but all in all we should respect it.

Back to the video:
I like the question she asked in the beginning. "How is it a preference, if we never had a choice?"
It's about knowing better and doing better. Some mothers back in the day didn't know how to take care of their own hair let alone their daughters natural hair. But that was then...this is now. Look at the number of new mothers raising little girls and leaving them natural to make their own decisions at a later time about utilizing chemicals. They in turn will probably do the same with their daughters. Rome wasn't built in a day. We are evolving...it's just taking time.

I was raised without a relaxer as a child but got one as an adult. My hair was banging with one and without one so to me is not a huge issue. I was also raised wearing braids through out the summer and watching my step sister put in quick weaves before the advancement of sew ins. I like it all and have no ill feelings toward the way one decides to rock their hair. Whatever makes you feel comfortable or beautiful...I can dig it.

lulu97 Great analysis! I've been accused of pushing my views regarding over trimming. :perplexed So, going forward I'll be quite :look: