BKT Pros and Cons??

ChristmasCarol

Have been following this thread closely and correct me if I am wrong but from what I can gather, it appears that previously relaxed/ processed hair appears to take well to a BKT initially but then for some reasons seems more susceptible to damage, splits etc that are acutally caused by the BKT. Could it be that the previously relaxed hair is in a way getting "double" or "over processed" and that this could also linked to the type of BKT being used. Despite the fact that BKT is mainly composed of Keratin it also contain Formaldehyde or Ethyl Alcohol which could be the culprits of the subsequent damage and further dependency on the BKT to mask the damge that then follows. Would it therefore make sense to BKT relaxed ends less frequently and just focus on non-relaxed / natural hair i.e. for those using it as a means to transition or grow out damaged ends?

I also got to thinking that BKT was not originally made with type 4 hair in mind so it could be that whilst so far it has been promoted for chemically processed type 4 hair that this may be more the experience of stylists in terms of results rather than the long term effects of BKT on type 4 relaxed / chemically treated hair? I suppose that whilst the rupturing of the cuticle caused by relaxers and the like allows the BKT to take better hold, it could in actual fact be taking hold too well?

Anyway I hope my ramblings are making sense to you ladies?

Just a few thoughts so ladies please let me know what you think?:perplexed

I don't think BKT causes damage. I agree with sheba and the other ladies who state that BKT will not "repair" damaged hair. My hair was texlaxed 5 months before the BKT, but was in no way visibly damaged from it (yes, I know that all relaxers "damage" hair to some extent). I only texlaxed a couple times each year. I applied the BKT with extremely healthy hair and it remains that way. I've been purposely trying to strip it out of my hair the last couple weeks using non-approved BKT products (sodium chloride), and I've noticed no damage, no split ends, etc. as it wears off.

There are other members who had BKTs earlier this year and none thereafter, and they've not reported damage of this sort. (that I know of) Their BKT has surely worn off completely by now. If there is a BKT'r who started off with very healthy hair and then BKT damaged it, I have not seen their posts.

The only caveat would be damage to those who can't handle 450 degree heat - but even then, it's the high heat that damaged their hair, not the BKT itself.

ETA: Oh yeah, I'm stripping it cuz I miss my ng waves and I want to be absolutely sure that my natural hair will return to it's pre-BKT texture.

Last edited:

beana

I think what AKgirl was trying to say is that the BKT process may have caused frayed/split hairs (please correct me if im wrong AKgirl).

As a 3 time BKTer, i can honestly say that i only experience frayed/exploded looking strands after BKT treatments. I have a mixture of fine and medium strands, the BKT seems to explode the finer strands. I originally used BKT with the intention of using it as an aid to transition to natural. My hair was not damaged prior to the BKT, and i was not using it to repair or mask anything. My 2nd BKT treatment was such a bad experience that i decided to stick to relaxing instead.

I tried BKT a 3rd time and used Dream Hair. I wanted to give the BKT process a fair try and im glad i did. I highly suggest Dream Hair over softliss for many reasons. Aside from the inital 1st week breakage of 40-80 hairs a day :blush:, my hair seems to be a bit more manageable and hold a better curl. If i could overcome the first week breakage i would consider using it again.

My final verdict is that BKT will not become part of my haircare regimen, but im definitely glad it tried it and satisfied my curiousity. I do believe BKT can be a good thing for many women, but just like any other product/method/ regimen... it will not be a miracle product for everyone.

Last edited:

Tafa01

I am a relaxed head that used bkt as well. I have not noticed any damage at all so far. I am at my 3rd BKT, started in July.
My hair is much more manageable, and stays straight without heat now. I used to flat iron once a week because I like straight hair, but after my 3rd BKT I have straight hair with air drying, no heat needed at all. So for me, I'd rather flat iron at 430 once every other month while BKTing than having to do it weekly.
When I am tired of wearing straight hear I am just going to stop bkt'ing.

Mystic

I haven't posted in a while but I wanted to give support to Beana because I had very similar experience with BKT.

I had thick, strong natural hair that had no curl pattern. I am what you call a C-Napp. The longer my natural hair grew, the more it became a handful for me. I barely straighten my hair, and wanted to do cowash more often but wasn't able to. When I saw Sheba's curls from BKT, I wanted it so badly! My first application wasn't that great but after the first wash, I was in love. BKT gave me soft wash-n-go curls that I always envyed on 3cs. Daily wash-n-go was a breeze because my hair was so manageable. I just loved it! Second application about 6 weeks was a disaster but with lots of DC, I was able to get my hair back to the feel that I had become accustomed to. Since I am not a big fan of the straightening process I decided to give BKT a break and continue to do wash-n-go since the product was still in my strands. I was also beginning to dislike how thick my root felt while my ends was becoming stringy and thin (all from 2 applications, lol!) The only time I would straighten would be during the BKT application. After that, wash-n-go is usually my main style so I very surprised at how weak my hair became overtime. I can totally understand strands being thin via overprocessing with relaxer, but I hated having that exact feel as a natural. My hair was extremely healthy before I started BKT but now it is practically ruined. Having wet hair hair is the worst! I haven't posted pictures in a long long time and have no desire to do so yet because I am not proud of the direction my hair has taken. My ends are way too thin and stringy :wallbash: yet the root is thick. I had split ends with BKT sometimes it seems like my strands opened up (hard to explain) causing more frizz and I also didn't get the frizz free benefit either. It worked great initially but overall, I value thickness, body and strength over straightness and too much softness so BKT didn't work out for me.

I ain't mad though. I am using this time to nurture my hair back to life. I haven't used BKT since around July or August and I am still waiting for it to get washed out of my strands. I am not sure if the coating is now permanent within the strands of my ends - probably heat damaged, even though my flat iron level stops at 400. My hair must be too delicate afterall.

I am not sure if BKT damaged my hair or the flat ironing process that goes with the application but in the end, it didn't work out for me and its OK - at least I tried it. I refuse to cut my hair again after BC 2+ years ago so I will keep up with my weekly DC and clippings until I can get back to what I had. BKT has worked for many, Sheba is a testimony, but it will not work on everyone's strands. Strand testing on a small portion of your strands multiple times is the best way to know.

I think what AKgirl was trying to say is that the BKT process may have caused frayed/split hairs (please correct me if im wrong AKgirl).

As a 3 time BKTer, i can honestly say that i only experience frayed/exploded looking strands after BKT treatments. I have a mixture of fine and medium strands, the BKT seems to explode the finer strands. I originally used BKT with the intention of using it as an aid to transition to natural. My hair was not damaged prior to the BKT, and i was not using it to repair or mask anything. My 2nd BKT treatment was such a bad experience that i decided to stick to relaxing instead.

I tried BKT a 3rd time and used Dream Hair. I wanted to give the BKT process a fair try and im glad i did. I highly suggest Dream Hair over softliss for many reasons. Aside from the inital 1st week breakage of 40-80 hairs a day :blush:, my hair seems to be a bit more manageable and hold a better curl. If i could overcome the first week breakage i would consider using it again.

My final verdict is that BKT will not become part of my haircare regimen, but im definitely glad it tried it and satisfied my curiousity. I do believe BKT can be a good thing for many women, but just like any other product/method/ regimen... it will not be a miracle product for everyone.

ChristmasCarol

Thanks to everyone who is sharing their experiences. I'm very sorry to hear about the ladies who have had problem with BKT, but was anyone using high heat with no ill effects prior to using BKT? I still believe it may be the heat. My hair tolerates heat - even Marcel irons, so I wasn't concerned about damage from the heat. I was more concerned about the chemicals in the treatment.

So I'm just asking so that maybe we can figure this out together, "Anyone use high heat regularly without damage, then applied BKT and experienced damage?"

Ganjababy

Whoa!- Your post is making me reconsider

I haven't posted in a while but I wanted to give support to Beana because I had very similar experience with BKT.

I had thick, strong natural hair that had no curl pattern. I am what you call a C-Napp. The longer my natural hair grew, the more it became a handful for me. I barely straighten my hair, and wanted to do cowash more often but wasn't able to. When I saw Sheba's curls from BKT, I wanted it so badly! My first application wasn't that great but after the first wash, I was in love. BKT gave me soft wash-n-go curls that I always envyed on 3cs. Daily wash-n-go was a breeze because my hair was so manageable. I just loved it! Second application about 6 weeks was a disaster but with lots of DC, I was able to get my hair back to the feel that I had become accustomed to. Since I am not a big fan of the straightening process I decided to give BKT a break and continue to do wash-n-go since the product was still in my strands. I was also beginning to dislike how thick my root felt while my ends was becoming stringy and thin (all from 2 applications, lol!) The only time I would straighten would be during the BKT application. After that, wash-n-go is usually my main style so I very surprised at how weak my hair became overtime. I can totally understand strands being thin via overprocessing with relaxer, but I hated having that exact feel as a natural. My hair was extremely healthy before I started BKT but now it is practically ruined. Having wet hair hair is the worst! I haven't posted pictures in a long long time and have no desire to do so yet because I am not proud of the direction my hair has taken. My ends are way too thin and stringy :wallbash: yet the root is thick. I had split ends with BKT sometimes it seems like my strands opened up (hard to explain) causing more frizz and I also didn't get the frizz free benefit either. It worked great initially but overall, I value thickness, body and strength over straightness and too much softness so BKT didn't work out for me.

I ain't mad though. I am using this time to nurture my hair back to life. I haven't used BKT since around July or August and I am still waiting for it to get washed out of my strands. I am not sure if the coating is now permanent within the strands of my ends - probably heat damaged, even though my flat iron level stops at 400. My hair must be too delicate afterall.

I am not sure if BKT damaged my hair or the flat ironing process that goes with the application but in the end, it didn't work out for me and its OK - at least I tried it. I refuse to cut my hair again after BC 2+ years ago so I will keep up with my weekly DC and clippings until I can get back to what I had. BKT has worked for many, Sheba is a testimony, but it will not work on everyone's strands. Strand testing on a small portion of your strands multiple times is the best way to know.

beana

In terms of the high heat used for BKT, i really dont think any woman on this board would use a 450 degree iron on their hair for any other reason.

Whether its BKT as a product causing the frays/splits, or the heat used for BKT as a process... something BKT related is still exploding the hair strands for some women. Its just something to consider.

I also want to be clear that im not being negative about the process, but i do believe people should be aware of all potential outcomes.

Last edited:

aegis

mystic your experience is my experience i believe or rather my fear. there is a portion that i did, the strand test that is, and it is limp. now idk if it it is heat damaged or BKT'd but i decided this is not for me. it looks relaxed. when i want to relax i will but this isn't what i want. instead i will invest in quality blow dryers and flat irons and flat iron the way women did in the past.

my fiance tells me that i do too much to my hair in search of a holy grail. i agree with him. i am going to streamline my reggie.

akgirl

Hi again, I totally wasn't expecting it to repair the damage at all. What I'm curious about though, is people that let it wear off, is their hair still in the same state that it was in originally? I just wouldn't want the healthy hair being compromised. And it doesn't sound like I've heard of too many people that have let it wear off completely yet.

akgirl

I just read up and saw this. Her experience is my exact concern I mentioned above. Healthy hair having issues as a result of using BKT over time. Of course we all have different experiences and it's not an issue with everyone, but I did have a suspicion after seeing my results. For my BKT we didn't have the flat iron jacked up to 450 either. I have also done normal flat ironing, and I never experienced exploded-looking strands before. My hair doesn't play games or like me doing strange things to it though (it HATES relaxers). So for the people it works great for, that's awesome :) I'm just way to sensitive for it. My hair and my lungs...the fumes scared the be-goodness out of me and made me dizzy.

Anyway, it's great that the original poster gets a complete spectrum of pros and cons, regardless of what she decides to do. What's the worst that can happen? Your hair gets messed up, and you have to cut it...and it grows back. That's awesome part about hair, it may move at it's own rate, but it comes back. Just make sure you are well-protected from the fumes (mine was supposedly formaldehyde free and they were still terrible), and that you don't get it on your scalp. My stylist made a point not to get it on my scalp because of what it contains.

P.S. On a side note for the ladies experiencing the frayed/exploded strands, I used Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin Leave-In (just be careful not to use too much, gets really sticky if you do!) on my wash day a couple of nights ago and I'm amazed how much better condition it is in now! I also used neutral protein filler from Sally Beauty in my deep conditioner. Thanks to the ladies on the board for their reviews on both of these products. It's saving me from the scissors for a while longer while the healthy hair grows out and it still looks great in the meantime.

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Hi again, I totally wasn't expecting it to repair the damage at all. What I'm curious about though, is people that let it wear off, is their hair still in the same state that it was in originally? I just wouldn't want the healthy hair being compromised. And it doesn't sound like I've heard of too many people that have let it wear off completely yet.

This is what I intend to do :yep; I just BKTed my hair last Fri so I have a good 3 - 4 months before it completely wears off. I was where OP was just a couple of months ago. I was more terrified of the heat than I was of the formaldehyde (which I later regretted that I didn't take seriously), but so far I have had no issues with breakage or dryness. I don't plan on BKTing for a long time...I mostly used it to help me with my transition. Usually the 6 or 7 month mark is where I get the urge to relax, but since my hair has been BKTed, I don't have the urge anymore. Moreover, there's no need to!

sheba1

I think it's important to note that it is not necessary for afro hair to use 450 degree heat for their bkt process. Many of us are using no more than 430; and some as low as 370 degree heat. For those with trouble; did you use the full 450 degrees? How many passes do you think? Just trying to get a feel for what might be causing the trouble? Also, did you do the naked blow dry? Some of the ladies are not having any trouble doing a naked blow dry; but I, myself, skip that and apply to towel dried hair.

As for myself, I've let 2 months go in between treatments and up until I BKT'd my leave out hair of my sew in I hadn't BKT'd since July. My hair is stupid healthy and when I went to do a search and destroy it was ridiculous. I could only find a couple in the hair I left out of my sew in. I won't BKT again until March (I think?) for my reveal.

beana

For those with trouble; did you use the full 450 degrees? How many passes do you think? Just trying to get a feel for what might be causing the trouble? Also, did you do the naked blow dry? Some of the ladies are not having any trouble doing a naked blow dry; but I, myself, skip that and apply to towel dried hair.

Hi Sheba,

For my first 2 BKT's i clarified with the Softliss poo (which i really like), did the naked blow dry, applied the Softliss tx, blow dried, sealed with my sedu at 410degrees 5-7 passes per section.

For Dream Hair, I clarified with Softliss, air dried 95%, applied the BKT (dream Hair was much easier to apply), blow dried, sealed with my sedu at 2 passes at 410degrees.

If i ever do the BKT again, i'll follow the Dream Hair method. The DH also seemed to melt into my strands much faster and i didn't need to do as many passes to help it bond to the hair.

Mystic

Hi Sheba1, I won't be able to follow this thread due to studying for my finals, etc., but my application process(es) is thoroughly documented in the keratin thread. Heat used was 400 or probably 410 as that is the highest my flat iron goes. I did minimal passes, probably 3 or 4 if I recall but it certainly wasn't 10 or even close! I did not do the naked blow dry on my 2nd application. I believe I followed your directions to a T but..., it is what it is..., different stokes for different folks. I have flat ironed my hair in the past w/out any mishaps. One time I thought I got heat damage from a stylist I went to but when I washed, it curled right back up. Not the same in this case.

This is my last review on the topic though. Don't want to be the one to discourage anybody from trying the product.

P.S. Sheba1, you are one of the nicest person I know and you helped me so much throughout this process. Please do not take what happen to my hair and BKT personally because I know how passionate you are about this process. Our hair is probably different and I am so happy the treatment is working so well for you. Please do not feel bad about what happen to me or else you will break my heart....,OK!!!! ( Smile...., I saw your comment in the Keratin thread). Truly, its not that serious - hair comes and goes.

I think it's important to note that it is not necessary for afro hair to use 450 degree heat for their bkt process. Many of us are using no more than 430; and some as low as 370 degree heat. For those with trouble; did you use the full 450 degrees? How many passes do you think? Just trying to get a feel for what might be causing the trouble? Also, did you do the naked blow dry? Some of the ladies are not having any trouble doing a naked blow dry; but I, myself, skip that and apply to towel dried hair.

As for myself, I've let 2 months go in between treatments and up until I BKT'd my leave out hair of my sew in I hadn't BKT'd since July. My hair is stupid healthy and when I went to do a search and destroy it was ridiculous. I could only find a couple in the hair I left out of my sew in. I won't BKT again until March (I think?) for my reveal.

Last edited:

beana

P.S. Sheba1, you are one of the nicest person I know and you helped me so much throughout this process. Please do not take what happen to my hair and BKT personally because I know how passionate you are about this process.

ITA, Sheba you are very helpful and its much appreciated!

Its very comforting to have someone help troubleshoot and offer advice :yep:

Love Always

Thanks for posting this! I plan on going to the salon to get my treatment done. I'm going to tell the stylist to apply the treatment with towel dry hair and not pass the iron through my hair numerous times. I also think that one shouldn't have the temperature up so high on the flat iron :nono:. With the process you've just explained Sheba I'm beginning to think that passing the iron through the hair numerous times and having the heat up so high is probably causing damage to some of the ladies...just my opinion though.

akgirl

I think you got enough good input at this point, so if you DO decide to do it, hope we see pics!

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

CONS:

Based on my experience, I would not recommend it to anyone with damaged hair. TrueWhy? Well, because it coats the hair, it appears that the coating blocks out the moisture that damaged hair needs for reconditioning. Also, if you are starting at a damaged point, your hair is stretched to its maximum with the extensive heat process, reducing the elasticity that your hair probably did not have to begin with -- thus keeping it a stretched dry state and prone to breakage. I think of it as trapping the condition of your hair for 3-4 months.

Now, it may appear initially that damaged hair responds to the product well because it *temporarily* fills all of the surface damage to your hair shaft/cuticle with keratin creating the "illusion" of the healthiest hair ever invented.

PROS:

If your hair is healthy at application, its a great aid to stretching relaxers, and creates ease in managing hair. Exception seems to be for those protein sensitive. Possible problems even if hair is in tip top shape.It also protects that hair from heat (due to coating; each time you use heat, the keratin seals hair further), friction, etc, and is stronger (due to the keratin coating). If your hair is healthy, it will do less filling of keratin (because your cuticle is not in a damages state) and act as a coating. I think of it as preserving your hair.

QUESTION:

How effective are our deep treatments on BKTed hair? -- I'd love to get an expert answer.

SUGGESTION:
Get your hair in tip top healty shape prior to application and it will be a win/win situation.Know that even in tip top shape your hair may not agree with BKT. Or it may do well. Do a test treatment if you can to see how your hair responds before diving in all the way, especially if you have protein sensitive hair and/or hair that craves tons of moisture[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just had to add a few things to this from my experience as my hair was in good shape prior to bkt and I don't want those thinking they did something wrong if it doesn't work for their hair, but their hair was fine prior. Answers are bolded above^^^^^

sheba1

Beana blessed us with a couple updates in the Keratin Support Thread that I thought would be great for this thread, since she was one of the ladies that was having some trouble.

I got caught in the rain today without an umbrella afterwork... my hair did not poof, it did not tangle (like it usually does), it kinda just layed there:look:
I just combed it out and was pleasantly surprised, 100% problem free and smooth.

If i could only get past the breakage i get immediately after BKT and these frays (not all over just here and there), i would continue to use this. At this point, im gearing up for my 4th treatment (in about 6-7 weeks) because my hair has been so well behaved since my first wash. I prefer Dream Hair over Softliss by a miliion %, my hair NEVER felt this good with softliss. I'm happy i decided to give Dream Hair a go, because i like how its working for me now :yep:

Hi Muse,
I used softliss for my first 2 treatments, my first treatment went well, and the 2nd w/ softliss didn't go so well.

I used Dream Hair for my 3rd (latest) treatment but experienced a lot breakage up until i washed and conditioned my hair. I was almost completely turned off and thought BKT didn't work for my hair in general (i thought i was going to have another softliss breakage experience). I have decided to do another Dream Hair treatment, and this time i will wash it out within 48 hours since my hair seems to "correct" itself afterwards. since washing and DCing, i have noticed that i lose less hair during daily combing, my hair doesn't go crazy in the rain, and my 3b/c patch in the back doesnt shrink and snap off as easy anymore.

I am hoping that washing sooner after applying the BKT will help remedy that inital breakage i experience.

PS I know Dream Hair is a one day formula, but i honestly don't think i have it in me to do my hair again that same day lol. i'll have to wait at least until the next morning to do anything.

sheba1

Also, I think it's important to note if there were any extenuating circumstances that happened to your hair before you tried BKT. BKT should not be used to solve a problem with breakage, dryness, shedding, etc.

Don't try anything drying or excessively protein-y right before application, either. I remember we struggled when one young lady decided to henna right before application which knocked her hair completely out of moisture/protein balance and then the BKT of course sealed it in that state.

I actually should have kicked myself because I was so reckless. I colored my hair for the first time in my life right before my first BKT because I wanted straight hair. That was soooo stupid of me, and I could have suffered a setback doing two processes that were completely different and both new to my hair without a test area. I was blessed to not have suffered a set back but I wouldn't recommend anyone else try such a thing the way that I did.

Last edited:

NinasLongAmbition

I'm jumping in ladies, Im currently 21 weeks post and I am transitioning to natural. Im a 4A/4B and am itching to BKT, I found a supposably good stylist in south florida, for a veryyy reasonable price. My question is should I dc every day before I get it, Im getting it next Friday, also should I do a aphogee 2 min. treatment to stengthen my hair ?