BKT Pros and Cons??

Ediese

First off, I'm a very indecisive person. I've been considering getting a BKT treatment sometime in March when I get to MBL. After e-research and reading through the BKT motherload thread, I figured it would help make my natural hair be more manageable/easier to detangle, less frizz and shrinkage or not revert as much if I wear it curly or straight and it would give me stronger, healthier strands with no pesky single strand knots. Those pros sounded pretty good to me.

Here's the thing. I read the BKT thread, and saw a few cons too (hair breakage, shedding, peeling strands, etc if your hair is not healthy and needs extra moisturizing prior to treatment.)

My hair is about 75% healthy. Somehow even though I straighten only a couple times out of the year, I still get a lot of split ends. I chopped my relaxed ends about 3-6" in April, and I didnt' have ANY split ends. At that time, I had horrible split ends up to 3" and higher. Some of the splits were not on the ends but were in the middle. :ohwell: It's like there was an opening in my strands. I don't know how to explain it. I took a look at my ends recently, and I have about 2-3" of splits in some parts of my head. :nono::wallbash: I'm thinking my horrible scissors have something to do with it. I've been using the scissors for other things, and for my search and destroy. Big mistake.

My hair is naturally very dry and it hates protein. In order to maintain a moisture/protein balance, I'm constantly cowashing and trying to over moisturize my hair.

My question to all BKT pros, does it sound like this treatment could help or cause problems for my hair? If I got rid of all the split ends, would the treatment help even though my hair really needs moisture? I'm scurred y'all. :(

Sorry for the long thread..

Last edited:

Vintageglam

Ediese thanks for starting this thread - I am also curious to find out the above too. I have seriously got to the point where I am considering an alternative to relaxers but don't want to BKT if there are also serious cons as that will effectively be replacing one headache with another.

BlackGeisha

You won't know unless you try it, my hair isn't the healthiest and BKT worked for me. (results in my siggy, I just my 5th a treatment this past Wednesday)
But what works for my hair may not work for the next person's hair. My suggestion would be to buy a sample, and do a strand test, before you commit to treating your whole head. With BKT I think the main thing is that your hair has to be able to take alot of heat, that comes with the infusing process. After that, you do not have to apply heat again unless you want to do another treatment. Then remember to preserve your results you will need no sodium, no sulfate shampoo and condish.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

luckiestdestiny

Ediese. I did a strand test...well more than that on my bangs. It didn't work so well the first time. I decided to let it wear off. I may or may not try it again but it will be another strand test on my bangs if so. I'm not sure if it was that plus the fact that I used an avocado conditioner (though moisturizing it has some protein) and it was just too much, or if it alone caused damage as my hair craves moisture too. My advice is try it somewhere where you won't cry if you have to trim. If you have bangs for instance, chopping them won't hurt too bad. It's the reason I didn't cry, because I just evened up my bangs and moved on. BTW my hair completely reverted back no problems. I let it wear off my bangs as that's the only area I tried it on. If I attempt again, I will try with other moisturizing products. I did feel a coating on my hair that didn't let as much moisture in and I NEED moisture.

MissMeWithThatIsh

Edi!!

I would try testing the BKT on three different sections or textures of your hair. Considering the "very dry" aspect of your hair, i think that's what splits it down the middle. I'm no expert on how to deal with that, but the BKT can temporarily fuse the split shaft together and keep it that way with subsequent treatments.

My hair, prior to BKT would feel dry, but the biggest problem was shrinkage and dealing with three textures. Now, I won't lie, I am on my 3rd BKT and I look "texlaxed/natural" with 3 different textures. BUT, my hair is smoother and feels softer and more moisturized and seems to really soak up my conditioners better.

Since your hair doesn't like protein, I guess that would be my only concern, but I'm thinking if you triple moisturize your hair before your first BKT (and color if needed), you'll be okay.... and then try one of the great Rusk smoothing treatments. I use Brazil Tech from sallys (no rusk over in NM)... but it's great.

Again,get a sampler.... try it on a small section of hair. It won't "permanently" straighten it and u should see a small but not drastic change in curl size and texture if you decide it's not for you.

sheba1

You won't know unless you try it, my hair isn't the healthiest and BKT worked for me. (results in my siggy, I just my 5th a treatment this past Wednesday)
But what works for my hair may not work for the next person's hair. My suggestion would be to buy a sample, and do a strand test, before you commit to treating your whole head. With BKT I think the main thing is that your hair has to be able to take alot of heat, that comes with the infusing process. After that, you do not have to apply heat again unless you want to do another treatment. Then remember to preserve your results you will need no sodium, no sulfate shampoo and condish.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

ITA 100% I know that some have used less heat; for instance Socalli does a couple passes with 370 degree heat for her BKT and that's it. For me, I need closer to 430 and a few passes before it melds. It's hard to explain but your hair will be kinda stiff and coated feeling and then after the appropriate number of passes your hair will be swingy, silky and appear to have nothing on it, at all.

It's such a hard decision, Ediese. For me there have been no cons. But obviously for others, there have been. Your best bet is to do the strand test. I know you have no desire to loosen your curl pattern (opposite of myself) I would recommend that you look into one of the "keep the curl" formulas. The application process is the same but it's less likely to loosen curl pattern. I say less likely because BKT makes damaged hair straight. This means that hair that is heat damaged, texlaxed, relaxed and even color treated will be more greatly affected by the straightening effects of BKT. The treatment is better able to bond to hair that has a ruptured cuticle and the effects last longer. For some this is a plus. I, for instance, wanted straight hair and colored my hair the same color as my natural hair color before I did my BKT. The color alone did not alter my virgin hair enough for my BKT'd hair to become straight, but that was initially my goal. My curls were a pleasant surprise and I decided to keep them.

I like BKT because there are so many different kinds and you have so much more control over the outcome of your hair than, say a texlax. I mean in that instance, a few minutes can mean the difference between the perfect texlax and bone straight results. But with BKT each application coats the strand, weighing it down and making the curl pattern a little bit looser. Then, if after 3 treatments you decide that's the texture for you, you let it wear off over the coming months until that layer of BKT has worn off. Your result will start to look more like it did after treatment 2 and you can BKT again to take you back to the place you were with treatment 3. Does that make sense? It's like, since there is reversion over time of the entire strand, you have more control over what each treatment will do to your hair.

I hope that did make sense. I just know I love it and I'll never be without it. The abolishment of my single strand knots, alone, would have one my favor. But the added bonuses of my fine hair now having the added strength to thrive during daily cowashing and wet bunning, to get silky straight with a single pass on low heat, to resist reversion in 100% humidity and to retain like a champ? Priceless for me.

Ediese

Ediese. I did a strand test...well more than that on my bangs. It didn't work so well the first time. I decided to let it wear off. I may or may not try it again but it will be another strand test on my bangs if so. I'm not sure if it was that plus the fact that I used an avocado conditioner (though moisturizing it has some protein) and it was just too much, or if it alone caused damage as my hair craves moisture too. My advice is try it somewhere where you won't cry if you have to trim. If you have bangs for instance, chopping them won't hurt too bad. It's the reason I didn't cry, because I just evened up my bangs and moved on. BTW my hair completely reverted back no problems. I let it wear off my bangs as that's the only area I tried it on. If I attempt again, I will try with other moisturizing products. I did feel a coating on my hair that didn't let as much moisture in and I NEED moisture.

Thanks for posting this and for your post in the other thread!! I was all gungho for getting this treatment because I never thought about sideeffects. The majority of posters have seen great results, but it's always good to see the other side. :yep::yep: Although it seems like only 2% had bad results, knowing my luck, I'd probably be in that pool too.

I've been thinking about doing a strand test after a few ladies suggested it. Either way, if it does cause breakage, it won't be as big of a setback compared to doing my entire head. I'm going to get another weave next month, but I'll be leaving a little bit of hair out at the top. I'll test that area to see how it reacts. At the end of three months, I should definitely be able to see if it'll work for me.

Ediese

TheLaurynDoll and Sheba: this is why I LOVE this board. You guys are so supportive and helpful!! Your posts definitely helped and I feel a lot more reassured and happy with my decision. Thanks, you guys! :) I'll get a sample and get it done in a couple weeks.

ChristmasCarol

Hi Ediese!

A month prior to doing my first BKT, I worked on making sure my hair was very healthy. I didn't use any heat other than DC and I moisturied several times/day. My hair isn't dry, so I'm not sure about if BKT blocks moisture from penetrating through to the hair.

I'm transitioning, but I have enough new growth to easily see how BKT affects my natural hair. I haven't noticed any ill effects from this treatment, and am amazed at how much easier it is to wash/dry/flatiron. I have been able to retain most of my growth, because the new growth has no tangles at all. BKT has made my natural hair quite straight, that's the only possible "con" I can think of. So, if you want to wear your hair curly without having to braid-out/twist-out, I agree with luckiestdestiny - do a section of hair first and see how it reacts. It may just loosen the curl, or it may give you a relaxed look.

I haven't let it wear off completely, so I can't say how long it would take for hair to completely revert to pre-BKT texture.

Best wishes on your HHJ!

aegis

ediese my hair is split horribly as well as a natural and as a relaxed head i never had that problem. i didnt even know what a split end was to be honest. the first time i bkt'd i had a lot of shedding. but i tend to shed a lot naturally so idk. i also noticed breakage but i think it's breakage of those split ends, some of which like yours are 2-3 inches within my strands.

i am going to give it another try and try to do it with less heat sometime tomorrow. i will report my results within the bkt thread.

i did a strand test of ok keratin--meaning i did a section but i got scared and washed it out immediately-lol--my hair there is shiny and smooth, so i think i will take the chance and do my whole head.

my fiance told me i should do it a couple times and then after that if i want to relax to go ahead and do it (yes i ask him for hair advice since im so indecisive lol)

hothair

I've been BKTing since April. IMO BKT doesn't "treat" damage, in the sense that whatever condition it was in PRIOR to the treatment won't be corrected but would help your hair withstand more AFTER the treatment.

Since doing my first treatment (I've done about 4 now) I've coloured, flatironed weekly for a minimum of 3 months and I believe I've retained as much if not more than I would have without the treatment. Usually when I colour (I go light, honey blonde on medium brown) I have to up my EVERYTHING and I'm constantly battling dryness/ major texture change (4ab), which previously caused me to BC several times. This has not been the case this time.

I'm getting my hair professionally coloured in a couple weeks, infact have the consultation on Monday, after I have it done (coloured) I'll update with my results from the first treatment till now.

I say you would be ok and it would definitely help with styling and knotting issues if you have those.

HTH - sorry for long post.

ETA: About the curl definition I'm 4ab and my coils are now just 4a/ with very little 3c, I think the heat used to bake in the treatment affects how much straighter the hair goes. I like my coilies so I only swipe twice on 190C.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i just had a randomly wicked good idea, if I do say so myself... :grin:
Ediese, you're planning to go back into another weave after this one, right?? why not try BKT'ing just the hair that you're going to leave out, and see how that works out for you??? :yep:

ChristmasCarol

I've been BKTing since April. IMO BKT doesn't "treat" damage, in the sense that whatever condition it was in PRIOR to the treatment won't be corrected but would help your hair withstand more AFTER the treatment.

Since doing my first treatment (I've done about 4 now) I've coloured, flatironed weekly for a minimum of 3 months and I believe I've retained as much if not more than I would have without the treatment. Usually when I colour (I go light, honey blonde on medium brown) I have to up my EVERYTHING and I'm constantly battling dryness/ major texture change (4ab), which previously caused me to BC several times. This has not been the case this time.

I'm getting my hair professionally coloured in a couple weeks, infact have the consultation on Monday, after I have it done (coloured) I'll update with my results from the first treatment till now.

I say you would be ok and it would definitely help with styling and knotting issues if you have those.

HTH - sorry for long post.

ETA: About the curl definition I'm 4ab and my coils are now just 4a/ with very little 3c, I think the heat used to bake in the treatment affects how much straighter the hair goes. I like my coilies so I only swipe twice on 190C.

That's what I may need to do. I've flatiron at 450 degrees, per the directions on the Keratina. Next time I'll use a little less heat and swipe only once or twice.

Sorry for the hijack OP, and thanks hothair!

ebaby

This is day 3 since my bkt and my hair is still not as poofy as it would be an hour after a normal flat-iron. It feels nice and I Like it. I am a little nervous about future events because I have one day until my first wash.

Dak

Why do you think you're having a problem with split ends? I know I tend to get them when I don't deep condition my hair, am rough with detangling and or use too much heat. The best solution for split ends is to have them professionally cut off, IMO. I know it's hard, the first time I did it I lost almost 4 inches of growth, but once they were gone, it gave me a chance to have healthy thick ends that I could then just work to maintain, rather than treat.

I think the advice to do a spot BK treatment is a good idea. Be prepared to buy all new products, as most normal shampoos have sulfates in them. Rusk Keratin Treatment is a fantastic conditioner. I'd recommend a good heat protectant for flat ironing, I still like Sabino's Moisture Block. And to continue to baby your ends with oils (coconut based oils like Vatika or just pure coconut oil) are good moisturizers. :yep:

BlackGeisha

....from what I gather .... bkt is "like" a relaxer (just not called one)

No BKT is not like a relaxer, they are totally different. For one, a relaxer is permanent and the BKT is not, it wears off after 2-3 months.

The relaxer has to be applied to new growth only and process no more than 20 mins. The BKT is applied from root to tip and there is no limit to the application time.

A relaxer then has to be washed out and nuetralized. The BKT is not washed out immedietely. You flat iron it into your hair, and depending on the brand that you have you wash it out 24hrs-4 days later.

BKT maintenance requires that you use a sodium/sulfate free products, this does not apply with relaxes.

These are the differences and many more.

*I had found an article that explains more about the BKT, give me some time to find it and I'll post it.

*Found it! http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/straightening/brazilian-keratin-treatment

Last edited:

beana

I've BKt'd 3 times and had so-so experiences with it. The first time i used softliss on 10 week post hair, overall it was a pretty good experience. My hair was easier to manage, my new growth was softer, i lost less hair while styling, etc. I Bkt'd again a month later and my hair was hard as hell and i experienced breakage for 4-6 weeks afterwards. I followed the same directions/ method i used for the first application. My theory is i shouldve waited longer in between treatments (at least 2 months). I finally got the breakage under control with an aggressive moisture routine.

Fast forward 3 months....

I Bkt'd again this past week with Dreamhair. Im under the dryer with a moisture DC now and this is my first wash post tx. This week i noticed more breakage/shedding around 50-80 hairs a day :( I actually counted all the hairs on wednesday and out of 56 hairs, only 10 were shedding. I've also noticed frayed hairs, splits and all kinds of nonsense that was not present 2 weeks ago.

I gave BKT a third try because i knew my hair was relatively healthy and i wanted to give it a fair chance. Things haven't been a disaster, but they sure haven't been entirely positive either. I'll know what my next course of action will be after im done styling my hair today. If i notice more problems, im going to clarify, use sodium/sulfate products to strip the BKT from the hair, do search and destroys weekly and get a good trim to rid myself of whatever potential damage BKT may have caused to my ends.

I'll post a follow up afer im done styling.

Last edited:

sheba1

....from what I gather .... bkt is "like" a relaxer (just not called one)

Sigh.. I said I wouldn't respond to this statement anymore but I always have the same question. Show me a single relaxer; or any chemical process, for that matter; that you can leave in your hair for 4 days or until your next wash and you still have hair. Show me that and I'll buy it. You can't even do that with color.

If there was an actual process there would be a processing time. :ohwell:

It coats the hair shaft. That's why you need sulfate free and sodium chloride free (simple table salt) products to keep from stripping the treatment. Because simple salt can strip the treatment, just like semi-permanent color. Because it's no more invasive than a semi permanent color.

Sigh... I mean it, this time. I'll not respond to this statement anymore. From now on I'll just copy and paste Black Geisha's response :yep:

Last edited:

BSweet

I've BKt'd 3 times and had so-so experiences with it. The first time i used softliss on 10 week post hair, overall it was a pretty good experience. My hair was easier to manage, my new growth was softer, i lost less hair while styling, etc. I Bkt'd again a month later and my hair was hard as hell and i experienced breakage for 4-6 weeks afterwards. I followed the same directions/ method i used for the first application. My theory is i shouldve waited longer in between treatments (at least 2 months). I finally got the breakage under control with an aggressive moisture routine.

Fast forward 3 months....

I Bkt'd again this past week with Dreamhair. Im under the dryer with a moisture DC now and this is my first wash post tx. This week i noticed more breakage/shedding around 50-80 hairs a day :( I actually counted all the hairs on wednesday and out of 56 hairs, only 10 were shedding. I've also noticed frayed hairs, splits and all kinds of nonsense that was not present 2 weeks ago.

I gave BKT a third try because i knew my hair was relatively healthy and i wanted to give it a fair chance. Things haven't been a disaster, but they sure haven't been entirely positive either. I'll know what my next course of action will be after im done styling my hair today. If i notice more problems, im going to clarify, use sodium/sulfate products to strip the BKT from the hair, do search and destroys weekly and get a good trim to rid myself of whatever potential damage BKT may have caused to my ends.

I'll post a follow up afer im done styling.

I had he same experience..it was very nice when i first did it..but then i noticed Broken and shedding hairs all over the place..after a week my hair was really thin and see through and full of split ends..it just didn't agree w/ me..

it has really set me back..:sad:

otegwu

i think the main and probably only problem with the treatment, is the vast amount of heat that has to be used with the application. if the treatment could be put in without this or at lease 1-2 swipes at a decent temp, there wouldn't be a problem, I'm still deciding on this because I'm not sure how well my hair can take the heat, but I will have to take the plunge soon, it just seem like the best thing treatment science has brought us thus far.

beana

So here's the story: I washed and DCed, everything was normal. My hair was slightly (and i do mean slightly) easier to manage and the amount of shed/breaking hairs was the same amount i get with every wash.

As of this moment, im going to continue caring for my hair as usual and step up the search and detroys to get rid of the frayed/split hairs.

plastic

No BKT is not like a relaxer, they are totally different. For one, a relaxer is permanent and the BKT is not, it wears off after 2-3 months.

The relaxer has to be applied to new growth only and process no more than 20 mins. The BKT is applied from root to tip and there is no limit to the application time.

A relaxer then has to be washed out and nuetralized. The BKT is not washed out immedietely. You flat iron it into your hair, and depending on the brand that you have you wash it out 24hrs-4 days later.

BKT maintenance requires that you use a sodium/sulfate free products, this does not apply with relaxes.

These are the differences and many more.

*I had found an article that explains more about the BKT, give me some time to find it and I'll post it.

*Found it! http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/straightening/brazilian-keratin-treatment

Oh i thought it wore off after 6 months ( sorry first time reading and im acquainting myself with the topic seeing as someone msged me saying Im going to get HOUNDED for saying it is "like" a relaxer )

So if you use this product ... or treatment as a natural head, you are still natural ?

CONS:

Based on my experience, I would not recommend it to anyone with damaged hair. Why? Well, because it coats the hair, it appears that the coating blocks out the moisture that damaged hair needs for reconditioning. Also, if you are starting at a damaged point, your hair is stretched to its maximum with the extensive heat process, reducing the elasticity that your hair probably did not have to begin with -- thus keeping it a stretched dry state and prone to breakage. I think of it as trapping the condition of your hair for 3-4 months.

Now, it may appear initially that damaged hair responds to the product well because it *temporarily* fills all of the surface damage to your hair shaft/cuticle with keratin creating the "illusion" of the healthiest hair ever invented.

PROS:

If your hair is healthy at application, its a great aid to stretching relaxers, and creates ease in managing hair. It also protects that hair from heat (due to coating; each time you use heat, the keratin seals hair further), friction, etc, and is stronger (due to the keratin coating). If your hair is healthy, it will do less filling of keratin (because your cuticle is not in a damages state) and act as a coating. I think of it as preserving your hair.

QUESTION:

How effective are our deep treatments on BKTed hair? -- I'd love to get an expert answer.

SUGGESTION:
Get your hair in tip top healty shape prior to application and it will be a win/win situation.

Last edited:

sheba1

Great post, Serenitybreeze. I still DC my BKT'd hair. There's no way it blocks everything out, just like a tightly closed cuticle doesn't block everything. After all, water gets in, still, so it stands to reason that conditioner would also. I can say that my hair continues to improve in appearance, thickness and health.

Oh, and Cutenss DCs her BKT'd hair twice a week. And her hair is :lick: ... well, just look and see: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=9199160&postcount=1849

I've also heard that there are some that stop DCing their BKT'd hair but see a difference in the way their hair behaves if they don't pick it back up. I love how vocal our hair can be once it's been spoiled. :lol:

aegis

I don't know if you're natural if you bkt. You are changing your hair structure no matter if it's temporary with a chemical.