Big Chopped? How Did You Do It?

bhndbrwneyes

I was wondering how you ladies that BC'd (or "major trimmed" more specifically) did it?

I was thinking about cutting the remainder of my relaxed/texlaxed ends myself but there are some sections where the line of demarcation is unclear. I'd hate to lose precious natural hair by trimming too much. I'm also worried about doing the crown of my head where I can't really see.

A questions:

- Did you do it yourself, get a friend to do it or get it done at a salon?

- Should this be done on freshly washed, soaking wet hair or airdried a bit?

- Did you use any product in you hair during it?

- Any tips on preventing split ends from bad cuts?
(Sharp hair sheers, cut at an angle, anything I'm missing?)

- Did you experience any issues during or after?

Thanks!

I did it myself at home

I wet my hair and then lathered it in conditioner to make the line of demarcation between my natural hair and relaxed hair more noticeable

Just cheapie Suave conditioner lol

- Any tips on preventing split ends from bad cuts? (Sharp hair sheers, cut at an angle, anything I'm missing?)

Use sharp scissors. That is absolutely key. Any snags or dull blades will effect your natural hair

Only issues I had was that I was style challenged with short hair. Talk about a new experience for me. I had to learn how to style and I had to learn QUICKLY! :lol:

Did you do it yourself, get a friend to do it or get it done at a salon?
Did it myself
Spritzed my hair with water and slathered in hairveda moist 24-7, which served as my prepoo, since i was getting ready to wash my hair
Just the hairveda conditioner mentioned above
- Any tips on preventing split ends from bad cuts? (Sharp hair sheers, cut at an angle, anything I'm missing?)
Got a brand new pair of fromm vantage at sallys for the occasion. You should cut straight accross. I did very small section at a time to make sure i was going straight accross.
Style challenged as NikkiQ said, and the shock of the afro was beyond my expectation. Like WTF did i just do? But no regrets. I mostly did twist/braid and twist outs. Other times, i would just braid and wig it. I no longer wig cause my edges can't take them.
Like you, the crown, and back middle section of my hair have this loose texture, and i had a hard time figuring out my line of demarcation in these areas. I was not too anal about getting all relaxed ends out the first time around. I figured i could get to them as i trim. In march i did my first trim since the BC (january), so now i am certain that they are all gone. The ends of my twist outs are no longer pointy, lol. My next scheduled trim is in june, so if there was anything left, which i don't think there is, they will be gone then. Good luck, and post lots of pictures.

Last edited:
Did it myself
Spritzed my hair with water and slathered in hairveda moist 24-7, which served as my prepoo, since i was getting ready to wash my hair
Just the hairveda conditioner mentioned above
Got a brand new pair of fromm vantage at sallys for the occasion. You should cut straight accross. I did very small section at a time to make sure i was going straight accross.
Style challenged as @NikkiQ said, and the shock of the afro was beyond my expectation. Like WTF did i just do? But no regrets. I mostly did twist/braid and twist outs. Other times, i would just braid and wig it. I no longer wig cause my edges can't take them.
Like you, the crown, and back middle section of my hair have this loose texture, and i had a hard time figuring out my line of demarcation in these areas. I was not too anal about getting all relaxed ends out the first time around. I figured i could get to them as i trim. In march i did my first trim since the BC (january), so now i am certain that they are all gone. The ends of my twist outs are no longer pointy, lol. My next scheduled trim is in june, so if there was anything left, which i don't think there is, they will be gone then. Good luck, and post lots of pictures.

So looking forward to the red.

I did it myself

My hair was soaking wet and drenched in conditioner, but whatever helps you see where your new growth stops and your relaxed hair starts

cheap conditioner! :3

(Sharp hair sheers, cut at an angle, anything I'm missing?)

Just use a good pair of sheers and you should be fine :3

Nope, it went smoothly. I BC'd 5 days short of a full year transition

After my cut I just raked gel in my hair and rocked wash-n-gos (like I do now lol). By that point I was already cowashing daily, so that didn't change. I looved having the relaxed ends gone and fully enjoyed my short hair. My hair looked awesome, I wish I had pics from then.

I did it myself

My hair was soaking wet and drenched in conditioner, but whatever helps you see where your new growth stops and your relaxed hair starts

cheap conditioner! :3

Just use a good pair of sheers and you should be fine :3

Nope, it went smoothly. I BC'd 5 days short of a full year transition

You make it sound so easy, lol. I was super nervous.

^^lol! well, I had spent the majority of my transition watching YouTube vids of ppl BC'ing, so I had an idea of what to do :3 Plus my relaxed hair was bone straight, so it was easy, for the most part, to see where to cut. I have really loose patches, so those spots were a bit harder. But it was a pretty quick process :3

OMG I can't believe I BC'd 6 years ago! It seems like just yesterday.

Here are my answers:

I washed my hair and was about to roller set it. Instead I grabbed some scissors and just cut at the line of demarcation.

I recommend wet hair because you will see the straight/curly sections much easier. If you do it straight you run the risk of either cutting too much or having to go back and clean it up.

No just water and conditioner

Don't use the same scissors that you use around the house. I bought some scisorrs at Target for $10 bucks and used it specifically for my hair only. Here's one I found online.

I went back and cut a little more at the name area, not realizing that this particular section was 3B (I thought it was relaxed hair) while the rest of my hair is 3C. So my suggestion would be to not go scissor happy. You might have different textures around your hair so double-check before cutting some more.

Myself. i had kinky twists in that i was removing. So when i removed one, i would cut. The pieces were really small so ibarely had any relaxed ends.

wet hair. It helps your natural hair curl up and your relaxed hair will be limp

just a spray bottle of water

I would say some sharp scissors. You dont have to go all expensive and buy a $80 shear. I bought a good super sharp one from the beauty supply store for about 10 bucks. I still have them and use them strictly for hair.

none, i quite enjoyed my short hair

Oh, are you just about ready to BC? Here is what I did below.

I did it myself

On wet hair just because it's easier to distinguish between your natural hair and your processed ends.

I shampooed my hair, rinsed, drenched it in V05 Strawberries and Cream so I could see where the demarcation line was and snipped my texlaxed ends off.

I used a very sharp hair scissors

Nope just a full head of thick natural hair :drunk:

I did it myself.

Mine was soaking wet, but I can see it working with any of these options especially if you are relaxed bone straight like I was. Do whatever allows you to see the different textures the best.

Just water.

Use a pair of hair sheers that you only use for your hair.

Nope :drunk:

Last edited:
Since my texturized/texlaxed hair looked pretty similar to my natural hair(even when wet with water I could not see the difference) I made up my own method for big chopping. I call it the coil method.

First I apply a product on my hair that allows for really good curl definition. For me that is a thick heavy conditioner or gel.

Then i take a smallish sections ,comb it through with a fine toothed comb and twirl it around my finger(finger coil). I like using small sections instead of big clumps because I have several different textures through out my head.

The relaxed hair will either curl in a different direction than the natural hair, be less tight than the natural hair or will not curl at all depending on how much the hair was processed. if you still cant see a difference smooth out that section and let it go. The relaxed hair, no matter how lightly processed will not snap back the same way as the natural hair will.

When I did this the line of demarcation became very obvious even with hair that I had only processed for 5 minutes!

of course you can always just slap on some vo5 and get to cutting but I wanted to keep as much length as i could!

HTH

Napp when did you BC? I knew you had a setback with the new Maxiglide and went to the salon to have it shaped up, but I didn't know that you BC'd.

@Napp when did you BC? I knew you had a setback with the new Maxiglide and went to the salon to have it shaped up, but I didn't know that you BC'd.

No I am still transitioning. I have big chopped twice before and this is what I did then and its what I plan to do when I cut it again.

Back