Best relaxers

blkvetteblack

Would someone please help me. I am thinking about applying a relaxer to my hair. I have been without a relaxer for approx. a year now.
I hear a lot of you talk about "Affirm" but I'm not familiar with that product. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

beana3

Revlon Realistic in Mild is pretty good, this is one of the stronger relaxers and it gets my 4a hair straight in 20 mins.

I have to second the poster (cant remember her name now, sorry) who gave kudos to PCJ relaxer for fine hair. This was excellent

blkvetteblack

Thanks. I think I'm going to try the PCJ. Isn't that a "kiddie perm". I've been debating over this issue to stay natural or go relaxed for a long time now and I've finally came to my decision to go relaxed.

C

Cami

I love Optimum! It seems like it really slows the breakage, and it does for me!

LABETT

I love Mizani.It's the only relaxer that allows to go 10-12
weeks before retouch considering I use some harsh dandruff
shampoo's.

B

ballet_bun

I used to like Sheenique sensitive scalp relaxer, but I'm switching to Affirm Fiberguard ... i forgot the strength.

Ballet Bun ...

blkvetteblack

Ok, I used the PCJ kiddie perm and......am not happy with the results. My edges are perfect, but the rest of my hair is the same texture prior to the relaxer. I have very course hair which makes it hard to relax without using a lye based relaxer. I refuse to go to a beauty salon because as you guys know the old saying..."I'm only going to CUT the damaged ends off"...yeah right!! in other words "I'm going to cut your hair as short as I think it should be that way you will have to come back in order to keep it styled". Most of you would probably agree with me. My last and final experience with a beautician left me with my hair 8-10 inches shorter than what I started with
. That was about 5 years ago and I'm paying the price of it now, trying to grow my hair back. I will NEVER go to a beautician again. As far as my home relaxer is concerned...better luck next time
. Is it safe to use a different brand of relaxer the next time I decide to relax?
And how long should I wait in between relaxers? I see most of you wait 6-8 weeks. Is this the norm?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Sorry it didn't work this out. You can use a different brand next time. It won't hurt your hair. Well in your case, since the relaxeer didn't work out you may not be able to wait the entire 6-8 weeks. I have stretched mine to 3 months in the past. It may be ok to do another sooner because the first one didn't take. I have, in the past, done a corrective relaxer with 2 weeks of my disaster with no ill effects.

DahomeyAhosi

I have to give my vote to Affirm with fibergard. When relaxed my hair grew best with this relaxer. just stick with it! You can have it applied at JC Penney's if there is a salon in your area.

sunny

Dudleys dudley dudleys!!!!! ive used the mild and regular formulas and they straighten beautifully, leave incredible shine and doesnt leave ur hair feeling dry or brittle.

msprettyeyes

I just switched from Motions (Mild) to PCJ (yes the kiddie perm) and I'm loving it. My hair is so straight. The last time my hair looked this good I had about 8 burns in my head. My friend did my hair. She trimmed my ends very well (that's another story.........My hair looks good but I lost about 1-2 inches). PCJ is DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!

Nacai23

[ QUOTE ]
msprettyeyes said:
I just switched from Motions (Mild) to PCJ (yes the kiddie perm) and I'm loving it. My hair is so straight. The last time my hair looked this good I had about 8 burns in my head. My friend did my hair. She trimmed my ends very well (that's another story.........My hair looks good but I lost about 1-2 inches). PCJ is DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is PCJ lye or no-lye? Thanks.

msprettyeyes

PCJ is no LYE. Let me tell you. If someone should get the gold medal for "Who burns the fastest" I mean within 5 minutes. I should get it. PCJ was worked through my hair 4 times and when it was time to wash out it still wasn't burning.

Nacai23

[ QUOTE ]
msprettyeyes said:
PCJ is no LYE. Let me tell you. If someone should get the gold medal for "Who burns the fastest" I mean within 5 minutes. I should get it. PCJ was worked through my hair 4 times and when it was time to wash out it still wasn't burning.

[/ QUOTE ]

It must be really gentle. Sounds good. I may have to get a relaxer if I don't find out what I should do with my natural hair in a week.

alibi

hair bored
[ QUOTE ]
blkvetteblack said:
Ok, I used the PCJ kiddie perm and......am not happy with the results. My edges are perfect, but the rest of my hair is the same texture prior to the relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry the PCJ didn't work for you. I was using PCJ too when I was perming (tansitioning 4mos), but I was using the PCJ w/ Nutri Sheen for Delicate Hair. It comes in an old school pink box w/ a lady and a little girl on the front. It is lye, but it's EXTREMELY gentle. I happen to prefer lye b/c it relaxes the cuticle down more than no lye, leaving the hair smoother. You might want to try that next time. It really is a great perm that people sleep on!!!

NAY007

i'm sorry the relaxer didn't work for you.
my favorite was always african pride. they have one for normal hair and super. i used both before. my very last relaxer was motions oil in mild and i hated it. it turned my whole forehead red.
i would give the african pride a try.
but of course, my usual question: what is your hair type? so ladies with your hairtype can give you better advice.

skegeesmb

I used to use Creme of Nature Lye in Regular (I should have been using mild). My hair came out very straight with just regular.

I think the only other relaxer I used consistantly was the Revlon realistic relaxer. I had used many relaxers in my relaxed days (African Pride, Bone Straight, Optimum, Pink Oil Moisturizer, Dark n Lovely, and At one with Nature) but towards the last days of wearing my hair relaxed I switched back to the Lye relaxers and if I were to relax again, those would be the ones I would choose.

katie

Has anyone used these relaxers?
Revlon regular
Design Essentials regular
Optimum regular
How were they?

I am thinking of switching to a closer hairdresser and these are 2 of the relaxers she uses.