Best flat irons for $40 and under

*Muffin*

Okay, I know there have been about a million threads posted already about flat iron recommendations, but I really need your help. Even though I know some of the better flat irons go by names like Sedu, Maxiglide, FHI, CHI, and HAI I really can't afford to spend all that money on a flat iron. So are there any good flat irons out there that leave your hair straight and feeling pretty smooth and nice without having to break the bank? Please let me know the names and where you got them from, and if you can offer any reviews that would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot ladies :).

Mortons

The Curlmaster ceramic is a pretty good one. You can find it at most BSS and it costs around 30.00. My aunt is a beautician and she uses this one at home.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i like my cheap Anids iron. i was contemplating on geting a maxi glide but it gets my hair super straight. and i only bought it for $15(on sale) ive had it for 2 years and no problems.

ycj

Another good one that I can honestly attest to is the Andes ceramic! Very good iron which I have and used without any problems whatsoever! I think I purchased mine at Walmart. This iron straightens just as good as the more costly ones. I had this one before joining this site. And never had any problems with it whatsoever. But I must be honest with you too, at the time since joining here I really don't use it much anymore. I think my iron was around 20-30.00 I really can't remember what I paid for it. HOpe this helps.:look:

PinkAngel

Jilbere de Paris Porceline series $30. If I had purchased this one prior to my FHI, I would have been content. I just purchased the Steam iron by the same maker. You can find it at Sally's.

Solitude

I used to love my gold 'n hot 2 inch ceramic iron. I plan to buy another one when my hair gets long enough to even need a 2 inch iron again. I think it is right at $40. They have it at some BSS, but some only carry the 1 inch.

However, I hated this cheap flat iron I got at Wal-Mart. I think it was by Conair.

kitamay

I found a great one at Target by Remington. It was only $10! It had all of the latest technology; ceramic and tourmaline (sp), and adjustable temperature. It also has teflon plates that really felt good. My hair didn't feel burned and it glides really smoothly on the hair, my previous ones always snagged my hair. Good luck with finding a good one that you like.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I like my Wal-Mart Andis also, I just flat-ironed my real hair with it today. I usually just use my cheap flat-irons for my weaves, but it did a fab job just with 1 pass.

*Muffin*

i like my cheap Anids iron. i was contemplating on geting a maxi glide but it gets my hair super straight. and i only bought it for $15(on sale) ive had it for 2 years and no problems.

I was actually thinking about purchasing an Andis wet to dry tourmaline ceramic flat iron online. It was less than thirty dollars but I got a lot of mixed reviews on it. Some people said that it was great and it straightened their kinky hair wonderfully, and others said that it was more for people who had wavy hair and not kinky. And it has 20 heat settings :yep:.

*Muffin*

I found a great one at Target by Remington. It was only $10! It had all of the latest technology; ceramic and tourmaline (sp), and adjustable temperature. It also has teflon plates that really felt good. My hair didn't feel burned and it glides really smoothly on the hair, my previous ones always snagged my hair. Good luck with finding a good one that you like.

Ten bucks!?!? Girl, that's right up my alley, down my corner, and on my street :lachen:. And I would prefer my iron to be tourmaline ceramic. I may just have to check target out :yep:.

*Muffin*

Here's a pic of the flat-iron I was thinking of purchasing. It's an Andis 67690 one inch Tourmaline Wet Dry Ceramic Iron. Do any of you ladies own this particular iron and can attest to it?

ajoyfuljoy

I second that Jilbere from Sallys. That bad boy hooks me up every week and I've had it for over two years now. Only paid maybe $40 for it.

Country gal

I use it before and I love it. I use it instead of my Maxi glide.

Country gal

Here's a pic of the flat-iron I was thinking of purchasing. It's an Andis 67690 one inch Tourmaline Wet Dry Ceramic Iron. Do any of you ladies own this particular iron and can attest to it?

no, I don't have that one. I want to try it.

*Muffin*

So, after much deliberation, I think that I will buy the Andis tourmaline ceramic wet/dry flat iron. Thanks for all the great reviews ladies :).

livesoundtech

I am in love with Remington's Wet 2 Straight flat iron... it was 30 bucks. I broke my first one (long story) and quickly ran out to get a second one. Worth every penny, and then some.

Jhunt-smith

:rolleyes: i completely agree about the Andis flat irons! i had one but gave it to my sister as a christmas gift (well she actually stole it). its about $15 at walmart. the one i bought was the 1.5 inch && i like it too, but i would probably buy both the 1" && the 1.5". and i can PROMISE u that my hair does NOT flat iron easily. but the andis worked best out of all the flat irons i have used, including the chi && the gvp && the maxiglide && the fhi. and it doesnt burn ur hair or leave those creases. i will probably go get one this weekend sometime because i loved, loved, loved it. and im going to order the GHD to see how that compares && i will let u know. i numbered from (best overall to least like) the flat irons with reasons below so u can compare
1. ANDIs = no creases, diff heat settings, inexpensive, hard to burn scalp
2. FHI = a little less expensive than most, sometimes no creases, 1 inch is easy to use, 1 setting???
3. GVP = doesnt get as hot as id like, doesnt get roots without burning, scalp relatively inexpensive, easy to use
4. maxiglide = very large, steam compartment is weird, often creases, most of the time doesnt burn scalp
5. CHI = way too hot!, burns everything it touches, just not good for my kinda hair
6. GHD .... review coming soon
--> pics from air dried to flat ironed in my profile on fotki:: http://public.fotki.com/LoveAndKnowledge/

Last edited:

Allandra

My first flat iron was a Jilbere ceramic that I purchased from Sally BSS. I paid $35 for it, and it did a great job. Since then, I've purchased a Sedu, and I gave my Jilbere to my niece.

bellecheveux

If you want a good flat iron, try Kohl's. They're having a sale on their flat irons. Went there yesterday but didn't buy anything since I have three flat irons anyway.

*Muffin*

My first flat iron was a Jilbere ceramic that I purchased from Sally BSS. I paid $35 for it, and it did a great job. Since then, I've purchased a Sedu, and I gave my Jilbere to my niece.

That was very nice of you :yep:. I've been hearing a lot of good things about that Jilbere flat-iron. Keep the suggestions coming, ladies. I'm pretty sure that your experience could help a lot of others who are new to buying flat irons make a good decision :).

*Muffin*

:rolleyes: i completely agree about the Andis flat irons! i had one but gave it to my sister as a christmas gift (well she actually stole it). its about $15 at walmart. the one i bought was the 1.5 inch && i like it too, but i would probably buy both the 1" && the 1.5". and i can PROMISE u that my hair does NOT flat iron easily. but the andis worked best out of all the flat irons i have used, including the chi && the gvp && the maxiglide && the fhi. and it doesnt burn ur hair or leave those creases. i will probably go get one this weekend sometime because i loved, loved, loved it. and im going to order the GHD to see how that compares && i will let u know. i numbered from (best overall to least like) the flat irons with reasons below so u can compare
1. ANDIs = no creases, diff heat settings, inexpensive, hard to burn scalp
2. FHI = a little less expensive than most, sometimes no creases, 1 inch is easy to use, 1 setting???
3. GVP = doesnt get as hot as id like, doesnt get roots without burning, scalp relatively inexpensive, easy to use
4. maxiglide = very large, steam compartment is weird, often creases, most of the time doesnt burn scalp
5. CHI = way too hot!, burns everything it touches, just not good for my kinda hair
6. GHD .... review coming soon
--> pics from air dried to flat ironed in my profile on fotki:: http://public.fotki.com/LoveAndKnowledge/

Thanks so much for this review. I can't wait until I get my Andis tourmaline ceramic flat iron. It's only around 15 or 16 dollars and I've been hearing a lot of good reviews from AA women (the only negative ones I got were from non-AA's, so I'm not concerned about that :grin:). I just hope that the tourmaline ceramic wet/dry one is as good as the regular ceramic one is.

Twisties

This thread is right on time. My Maxiglide blew out yesterday -started smoking really bad and the blue light went out. I think the warranty just passed or I would send it back....:nono:

I think I'll replace it with the Andis or Jilbere.

Tee

The best under 40 bucks that I used was the Andis. I gave it away when I got the Sedu. Now I am loving my Royale iron but I m keeping my Sedu. It's a good iron, just not my baby daddy of irons anymore.

Andis is a good iron for the price point you are looking for. :up:

shibababy

I LOVE the Andis I bought from Walgreens. It was about $25-$30. I want to buy an "upscale" flat iron to compare the two. I went to a salon yesterday, I haven't been to one in 2 years, she used a CHI. My hair was floating on air.

I would start with an Andis though to stay within your budget.