Being Good isn't enough

LucieLoo12

Last night at bible study, my Pastor made a comment that got me thinking. He said "Being a good person isnt enough". He began to say that some people just strive to not smoke, or not drink, nor not fornicate...but its not enough. Our ultimate goal is to be conformed into the image of Christ.

So I began to meditate on this some more last night. I have to remember that God isn't requiring goodness, but holiness.I can't just do good things, but its it has to be my nature. You have athiests that give to the poor, dont fornicate, curse, or drink. So what seperates us from them? Its our devotion and allegiance to God. Its because a born again believer nature has been changed, and our ultimate goal we are striving for is that our nature becomes the nature of Christs. I believe that why we have so many lukewarm Christians that feel they are ok because they do "good things", but our heart has to be changed and our mind as well. It's more that God requires of us. My pastor bought out the scripture that says "the same Spirit that rose Jesus from the dead, is the same Spirit that quickens our mortal body". I began to get a whole new insight on that. I began to think, "Man, the same Spirit that was in Jesus Christ, lives in me.." The same power that He have, is the same power I have. But that power only becomes excercised when I walk and believe in it. Sometimes as Christians we can walk so beneath the calling that God has called us to. But He said that he has called us to be above and not beneath. Away with sensuality. Away with carnality. Away with opinions, and mindsets. Away with men pleasing. Away with being tossed to and fro. Away with unbelief and doubt.

I dont want to be just a "good" person. Goodness alone wont get me into heaven, but holiness and righteousness will. I have to have the nature of God, not just with what I say..but in my heart. So thats what Im striving for. Holiness and truth in my inward parts. The very core of me has to be pleasing to God, not just what people can see.I know some people that can get caught up with PEOPLE saying how "saved" and "sanctified" they are, but my main objective is to be pleasing to God.To be righteous/holy when no one is looking. Im not talking about "works". I'm talking about the nature of a man, being changed."Good Works" isnt enough, but we have to be born again of the Spirit. Our nature has to be changed.

God has been showing me that alot of times when you are pleasing to God, you are despised and hated of men.But I know He that began the work, will finish it in me.

Its more that God is requiring.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. God Bless

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Thank you for sharing....timely reminder for me. I love that we keep the Light on in this Forum.

Iwanthealthyhair67

this right here is something that my pastor always says to us...and I wonder sometimes why we are not getting it ....

I'm with you you, good isn't good enough...selah

Thanks for sharing...

Last night at bible study, my Pastor made a comment that got me thinking. He said "Being a good person isnt enough". He began to say that some people just strive to not smoke, or not drink, nor not fornicate...but its not enough. Our ultimate goal is to be conformed into the image of Christ.

So I began to meditate on this some more last night. I have to remember that God isn't requiring goodness, but holiness.I can't just do good things, but its it has to be my nature. You have athiests that give to the poor, dont fornicate, curse, or drink. So what seperates us from them? Its our devotion and allegiance to God. Its because a born again believer nature has been changed, and our ultimate goal we are striving for is that our nature becomes the nature of Christs. I believe that why we have so many lukewarm Christians that feel they are ok because they do "good things", but our heart has to be changed and our mind as well. It's more that God requires of us. My pastor bought out the scripture that says "the same Spirit that rose Jesus from the dead, is the same Spirit that quickens our mortal body". I began to get a whole new insight on that. I began to think, "Man, the same Spirit that was in Jesus Christ, lives in me.." The same power that He have, is the same power I have. But that power only becomes excercised when I walk and believe in it. Sometimes as Christians we can walk so beneath the calling that God has called us to. But He said that he has called us to be above and not beneath. Away with sensuality. Away with carnality. Away with opinions, and mindsets. Away with men pleasing. Away with being tossed to and fro. Away with unbelief and doubt.

I dont want to be just a "good" person. Goodness alone wont get me into heaven, but holiness and righteousness will. I have to have the nature of God, not just with what I say..but in my heart. So thats what Im striving for. Holiness and truth in my inward parts. The very core of me has to be pleasing to God, not just what people can see.I know some people that can get caught up with PEOPLE saying how "saved" and "sanctified" they are, but my main objective is to be pleasing to God.To be righteous/holy when no one is looking. Im not talking about "works". I'm talking about the nature of a man, being changed."Good Works" isnt enough, but we have to be born again of the Spirit. Our nature has to be changed.

God has been showing me that alot of times when you are pleasing to God, you are despised and hated of men.But I know He that began the work, will finish it in me.

Its more that God is requiring.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. God Bless

Last edited: