BC: Do it Yourself or Go to a Salon?

BC: Do it Yourself or Go to a Salon?

• Did it myself

Votes: 49 73.1%
  • Went to a salon

Votes: 19 28.4%

• Total voters

carletta

I only do a dusting to my hair because true to form there will be some hair haten sis out there that will whack your hair the 1st chance their jelous behind will get.

dillard

well, I went to the salon. BUT I didn't go to the salon with the intention of BC'ing. I went for a relaxer/haircut. And I saw a cute natural style in a hair mag that I fell in love with. I hadn't relaxed in about 5 months so I had a few inches of NG. It was a completely new salon, I was out of the country and was feeling adventurous, so I said "I want this" and she was like are you sure?! I ended up loving it and staying natural for 5 years.

LynnieB

i did mine by myself.

in April i recreated my bangs :p, @ the beginning of May i really started taking whacks at it then by the end of May i'd just had enough of fakin' the funk.

i had alot of relaxed hair and i don't think i'd have the nerve to cut it all off in one chopping session and definitely didn't want to deal with stylists at all.

BlkOnyx488

I did it myself a few years ago.
I always do my own hair.

I just wet it and felt for the texture change. to cut the back I felf for the change. placed my index finger and middle finger just below the line of permed and natural hair and cut away.

I did it because my hair fell out in one spot in my hair I have had problems with that area for years. So I cut if off to get it healthy again.

digitaldiva

RainbowCurls said:
I did it myself.

What made you do it yourself?
Dislike/distrust of salons.

How many months did you transition?

How many inches of natural hair did you have?
Not sure... this much.

Also, how did you manage to cut the back of your hair?
Pulled sections round and cut off any bits that looked straight. Kept my hair shears around for the next few days to cut off the bits I missed the first time.

If your hair isn't straight, any uneveness doesn't really show :D

If I thought my hair texturew would be like yours I would transition! I'm scurrrd of my naps! haha! I just can't stand the poofyness. Sorry. I love you guys hair though. It doesn't look poofy on yall.

digitaldiva

The only reason I continue to go to a salon is to get a relaxer. I cannot relax my own hair, but I have to be STRONG walkin' into that door. They try to do their upsells by cutting/trimming your ends and all this other crap. I usually will try and get a roller set when I go there. This will usually discourage them from cutting your ends. Then I'm home safe, with all of my hair on my head! sad but true.. :(

tatiana

For those of you that went to a salon?
Did you go to a stylist you have frequented before? or did you go to a salon specifically for natural hair?
I went to my stylist for the past ten years. My stylist, herself, is a natural and her clients' range with 1a to 4b.
Did they just cut the natural hair or did they want to style (cut/trim) the natural hair too? I wanted a style because I wanted to look decent if I flat ironed it or did a roller set. So she cut my hair into a bob. Since I was her last appointment and I had to get up early in the morning she just plaited my hair for me. A few days later, I did a rollerset which was cute.

I transitioned for eleven and 1/2 months before cutting.

InNeedofHairapy

Y'all are making me want to do it SO bad...I'm envisioning the curls I have already but WITHOUT all the crazy semi straight/semi curly texlaxed/relaxed/underprocessed ends attached to them....hmmm