Bantu Knots

blkbeauty

Hey Ladies!

I want to try some Bantu knots. Are rubber bands a good way of holding them together or would the rubber bands cause breakage? If, so what else could I use to hold them together?

Shatani

well, my friend uses the ouchless rubberbands, but there is still a little breakage....i find that if you just wrap the hair around and tuck it under, it stays perfectly....

if youre doing it just for a set....then you can put ouchless hair ties around them or scrunchies or bobby pins...

HTH!
~T~

Leslie_C

ITA w/ shatani,
u can also dip the covered ouchless (no metal) elastics in oil and that helps too. But like she said, u can get them to stay w/out pins if u tuck the ends into the knot. U could also use a coated rubber tipped hair pin across each one like it was a pin curl.

blkbeauty

Thanks Shantani

Would it stay even if the ends are permed? I am still in transitioning with my hair.

Shatani

i think it would...just gotta make sure you get it under there! i find it easier to make it stay when i do them on wet hair...i gotta work with it a bit more on dry hair...
~T~

blkbeauty

Shatani,

Thanks for all your help! Do you use gel on them too? Also, how long have you been natural? I am loving my natural hair and I am almost there. I have been cutting my hair bit by bit and I am 100% natural...I am just trying out a new style with the Bantu Knots...Again thanks for the advice!

Shatani

i dont really like gel that much...which is prolly why mine get fuzzy after a couple of days...i usually just moisturize and put in whatever i use to define curls (you know, my flavor of the week!
)

ive been natural for almost 3 years...and congrats on the great transition!!!
~T~