Votes: 30 40.5%
  • No.

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jupitermoon

Do any naturals on this board have bangs? How do you go about cutting them? Do you have pics?

I like the look of bangs and really want some.

zzirvingj

I had bangs that fell right at my nose area, but they're growing out now....I plan to get them cut again next week.

I'm not comfortable cutting bangs into my own hair although I will dust/trim my overall head myself.

My boss cut my bangs for me LOL...I've seen her snip away at her own bangs at work. I had been half jokingly begging her to cut mine and one day she broke down and said yes. I had my hair pressed that day so it was easy for her to cut the bangs.

jupitermoon

Zzirvinj, I like your hair and your bangs look nice. I planned on asking a beautician to cut some for me.

I've always like bangs but I guess they are not in style now?

mscocoface

I never even thought of doing bangs on natural hair, particularly mine. I had no idea. ZZ yours look wonderful, but with my hair type in the front I don't think I would get the same effect.

Waiting for more responses.

fyb87

Do any naturals on this board have bangs? How do you go about cutting them? Do you have pics?

I like the look of bangs and really want some.

I voted other because to me it is a personal choice.

I have had bangs. I have a few pics in my Fotki. I did a hairshow and had a massive hair cut that they chose. They styled my hair straight so the bangs could almost be pulled around my ear. But, since I only wore it straight for the hairshow when I wore it curly I had actual bangs bangs LOL! I liked it on me. I've actually been thinking about cutting some myself. However, I am waiting until next April to straighten so I will do it then. Don't want to cut when hair is wet.

Oh, forgot to say I don't think bangs are out of style at all. But, then again I don't like being like everyone else anyway! :grin:

ETA: Here is the link to my fotki with the bangs picshttp://public.fotki.com/NaturallyCurly/03---mar-08---natur/only-natural/

Last edited:

zzirvingj

Zzirvinj, I like your hair and your bangs look nice. I planned on asking a beautician to cut some for me.

I've always like bangs but I guess they are not in style now?

I do think that bangs are still in style...what kind did you plan on getting? Shorter, longer, blunt, layered, etc.?

Most of the time I wear my hair all pulled back in a natural bun. The other times it's usually pressed and down. As a natural, I shyed away from bangs for the longest because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to fit my hair into my "daily natural bun" anymore. But my bang area is (and has always been) naturally ALOT looser in texture than the rest of my hair...it's almost already straight, so it stretches into a bun pretty easily. I found that with bangs right above my nose, I was personally able to still fit it into my bun/get my bang area to lay down with no problems ;)

Like one of the other posters stated, I think it comes down to personal choice. I say, if that's what you want, go for it! It's only bangs, and they will grow back. :yep:

If you're really hesitant, you can even go to the local beauty supply store and try on wigs that have bangs to see how you'd look first...just a thought...

Nonie

I never even thought of doing bangs on natural hair, particularly mine. I had no idea. ZZ yours look wonderful, but with my hair type in the front I don't think I would get the same effect.

Waiting for more responses.

Hijack alert (sorry OP but Mscocoface has me in stitches....)

:giggle: Are you picturing a little afro wall standing up like it's lost along your forehead forming a little fortress as if protecting your forehead from the rest of your hair or the rest of your hair from your forehead? :lachen:

I've only worn bangs as twists which I let shrink by wetting them so they aren't in the way of my viewing. The hair is the same length as the rest of my hair which is usually stretched in some other form. My "bangs" don't form a nice even edge because each twists originates from a different part of this knob I call a head. And I don't ever plan on evening that out because I have plans of wearing my hair in many other styles and so I prefer all my hair being the same length. (Example)

The only other way I've attempted wearing bangs is a twist-out or braid out.

OP, I'm sorry for the hijack. I don't know anything about cutting bangs.

Last edited:

lexiwiththecurls

I think bangs like zzirvingj is cool. I just think you should get your hair cut in its natural state and not straight in case it curls up funny. I've been wanting to get bangs for my hair when its straight but I figured when it was back in its natural state it would curl and shrink up so much that it would just look like breakage in the front...but this is just for my hair texture that I think this way.

jupitermoon

I do think that bangs are still in style...what kind did you plan on getting? Shorter, longer, blunt, layered, etc.?

Most of the time I wear my hair all pulled back in a natural bun. The other times it's usually pressed and down. As a natural, I shyed away from bangs for the longest because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to fit my hair into my "daily natural bun" anymore. But my bang area is (and has always been) naturally ALOT looser in texture than the rest of my hair...it's almost already straight, so it stretches into a bun pretty easily. I found that with bangs right above my nose, I was personally able to still fit it into my bun/get my bang area to lay down with no problems ;)

Like one of the other posters stated, I think it comes down to personal choice. I say, if that's what you want, go for it! It's only bangs, and they will grow back. :yep:

If you're really hesitant, you can even go to the local beauty supply store and try on wigs that have bangs to see how you'd look first...just a thought...

I want long bangs that frame my face. I know how I look with bangs on straight hair, but I imagine bangs on my natural hair would be quite different.

I'm still haven't made up my mind yet. My skin is very acne prone, so bangs may not be a good idea for me.

mscocoface

:giggle: Are you picturing a little afro wall standing up like it's lost along your forehead forming a little fortress as if protecting your forehead from the rest of your hair or the rest of your hair from your forehead? :lachen:

I've only worn bangs as twists which I let shrink by wetting them so they aren't in the way of my viewing. The hair is the same length as the rest of my hair which is usually stretched in some other form. My "bangs" don't form a nice even edge because each twists originates from a different part of this knob I call a head. And I don't ever plan on evening that out because I have plans of wearing my hair in many other styles and so I prefer all my hair being the same length. (Example)

OT, I'm sorry for the hijack. I don't know anything about cutting bangs.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I was trying to maintain some lady like composure when I was writing my response, but uhmm yeah, with our hair type it would be standing at attention waiting for battle instructions. You know how our hair roll. Don't get it twisted......:lachen:

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.......

classychic1908

I had bangs for a long time and I loved them, you just have to be careful to cut while your hair is dry so that you know it's the length that you really want. I made the mistake once of cutting them to fit my look straight, and when I went back to wash n go's my bangs were a hot mess!! Way too short. I had to wear flat twists in the front until they grew back. I think they are a nice way to frame your face. The type of bangs that look good on you, are always in style. Don't worry about catching the latest trend in this case.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict

OP, I'm sorry for the hijack. I don't know anything about cutting bangs.

This style is so cool!

yamilee21

Nooooooo! Don't do it!

Well, if you are a natural who straightens almost all of the time, it might possibly be doable - so long as you never get caught in the rain. But if you normally wear your hair curly/coily, :nono:. Every time I cut bangs, I regret it and start growing them out immediately. I've been growing out the latest ones for 16 months now. That's 16 months of bangs ruining most every hairstyle I attempt, of forcing them into buns and ponytails that they successfully escape from every time, :lol:.

Rei

i have bangs, idk if its intentional bangs or what, but the front of my hair is like TRAINED for bangs. All of my relaxed time, I had bangs, and even after I BCed its like the hair in front is retaining less creating a bang effect. ~__~ I love love love bangs, they look great on me, but its kind of hard with natural hair. I mean first off my hair doens't lie down it sort of lies up at attention, so i have to attack it with a million bobby pins for it to even consider lying down, and then one small breeze later, and it'll be standing up again and makign me look crazy. Then the shrinkage factor comes in. What is bangs when I have my twistout, is below chin length when I fully straighten (and this is when I actually really want bangs)....and if I cut bangs so that they're the proper length when straightened, when I let them shrink back up it'll look so retarded at a tiny length when the rest of my hair is huge.

I don't think they quite work unless you have a certain type of hair, and maybe not that much shrinkage.

malachi74

i like this thread. i have been dying for bangs too but i don't want it to look too short when i wear my hair in it's natural state. i think zzirvingj 's mid-nose length will be good.

Avyn

my everyday style is a twistout and i wear bangs. i have a 5head (not a forehead lol) so i have to wear bangs of some sort. i will see if i can upload a pic to my avatar. i don't like having my pic on public display so i'll only leave it up today and take it down tomorrow.

eta: it won't let me upload pics. it keeps saying file upload failed, but here's a pic of my hairspiration in my avatar. i stole it from someone's siggy and stuck in my inspirations album. my hair is about 75% of the way here. but she/the drawing has some sort of forehead coverage. this is how i wear my hair, only with a headband or scarf of some sort.

Last edited:

jupitermoon

my everyday style is a twistout and i wear bangs. i have a 5head (not a forehead lol) so i have to wear bangs of some sort. i will see if i can upload a pic to my avatar. i don't like having my pic on public display so i'll only leave it up today and take it down tomorrow.

lol! Me too. I think I look so much better with bangs.

The hair in the front of my head lies flat and is kind of wavy. It doesn't shrink much either. I'm just worried about acne. I'm bound to break out from bangs.

Avyn

my hair is much shorter than yours Celina Starr, but i've seen really cute face framing bangs. it would be cute. i have seen some really cute styles. i'll see if i can find some pics and post them.

OT: i used to have an acne problem until i started using softsoap antibacterial handsoap (the clear one) to wash my face and neutrogena clear pore oil eliminating astringent. i haven't had a breakout in years. although sometimes during that time of the month if my hormones are out of wack i'll get a blemish.

Whimsy

I wouldn't cuz the shape of my hair right now is all retarded but if i straightened all the time and didn't have to worry about superfast reversion i would totally cut some bangs.

Taina

I personally don't like them, because of my face shape, but i had one natural, when i was a child. My hair regimen was not equal, so it was horrible. The hair did'nt style at all. It curl when wt, but then .. PUFFF!!!! ... not good experience for me.

Last edited:

robot.

I voted other because to me it is a personal choice.

I have had bangs. I have a few pics in my Fotki. I did a hairshow and had a massive hair cut that they chose. They styled my hair straight so the bangs could almost be pulled around my ear. But, since I only wore it straight for the hairshow when I wore it curly I had actual bangs bangs LOL! I liked it on me. I've actually been thinking about cutting some myself. However, I am waiting until next April to straighten so I will do it then. Don't want to cut when hair is wet.

Oh, forgot to say I don't think bangs are out of style at all. But, then again I don't like being like everyone else anyway! :grin:

ETA: Here is the link to my fotki with the bangs picshttp://public.fotki.com/NaturallyCurly/03---mar-08---natur/only-natural/

i LOVE your fotki and stalk faithfully. :grin: i couldn't gush enough about your hair.

robot.

I ADORE bangs on me! :grin: Love, love, love them. I like heavy, sideswept bangs; so they'd be long, but distinctly bang-like. I can't wait to get some cut in once my hair gets to the length I want, straightened.

Fhrizzball

I have side bangs left over from when I was relaxed. I wouldn't recoomend blunt ones but possible longer ones so you can have some hangage. I wouldn't have them done with pressed or blowdried hair. I usually have mine pinned to the side. I'm waiting for it to grow out even though it's taking forever. I would replicated bangs on your hair length now via pins or whatnot and see if it's right for you. If all else fails you cam make faux bangs with tracks or if you don't like how yours up up just pin it back.

virtuenow

Within the past week or two there have been two posts on FAUX BANGS for both relaxed and natural heads. I posted for the naturals! This is perfect for those who do not want to cut hair but do want to experience bangs. Here are the links:

Natural Twist Out Faux Bangs:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=8748606

Relaxed or Straight Hair Faux Bangs:
www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=379180

lilsparkle825

mine too...this is why i won't hesitate to get bangs in a few months. when i hit bsl i plan on wearing my hair straight more often, and i pretty much NEED bangs when my hair is straight. if they just happen to be a tad bit too short when curly, i will do what a friend of mine does and sweep them back (or to the side) with a bobby pin or clip.

i think the long tapered bangs are very pretty. i wish i had a picture, but i am talking about the full ones that are a little bit longer on the sides.

DivaD04

i don't really like bangs(dead smack in the front of the forehead)...fringes for the european ladies, but i do like swoops. when i get some long length, i like a natural swoop or a corner side bang.

whimsy the way you have your hair in the front...in your siggy is how i like my bangs....just like that.

Last edited:

Whimsy

whimsy the way you have your hair in the front...in your siggy is how i like my bangs....just like that.

Well thanks, but those aren't intentional bangs. That's just an uneven self BC and an off center part. lol:drunk: