Backlash against relaxed hair?

Glib Gurl

First off, let me say that I'm not trying to start any sort of fights about "good hair" vs. "bad hair" or anything like that. I am just noticing that as of late there are more and more anti-relaxer messages out there . . . from things as broad and in your face as Chris Rock's Good Hair to articles in Essence, Clutch (online e-zine), and other outlets that seem to exclude relaxed hair in articles discussing hair care . . . .

As a relaxed sista, I'm kinda :ohwell: about that. I'm not saying that we shouldn't celebrate natural hair . . . indeed, we should. It's quite revolutionary that it's becoming more mainstream after years of being viewed a choice that is "radical" or "political." It's just hair, people. So, given that I recognize that, why must we do a seeming 180 degree flip to excluding relaxed locks from the discussion of African American haircare? No, it's not me "wanting to be white" or denying my heritage. Again, it's just. hair. Sheesh.

Am I just being paranoid or has anyone else noticed this trend. Any thoughts on the subject in general?

You're not the only one who has noticed. Natural hair is definitely becoming a big part of the black beauty ideal, and you can see it all over.

But I feel like these kinds of things come in waves. It was cool to be relaxed for a while, then it was cool to be natural, then it was cool to have a jheri curl, then it was cool to be relaxed again...now it's cool to be natural again. For me, it's not anything to get worked up over. I just try to remember that for a long long time, natural ladies were getting that side eye, exclusion from hair discussion, and snide comments, no matter how clean and pretty they kept their hair. It's nice that they're finally getting some shine.

Yep, I've noticed it. I simply decline to participate in the debate. What people (and I mean grown people) choose to do with their own hair, just like any other part of their body, shouldn't be subject to the judgment of others.

I do not participate in the debate-- but here is my take: natural hair has gotten so much backlash in the past, and its the new "in thing" for many who look at it as a trend

I've noticed it...but only on the hair boards. No one IRL has ever stepped to me and said anything negative about my hair or relaxed hair in general. I doubt anyone would ever be so brazen...but this being L.A. I suppose anything could happen.

I love that natural hair is being openly discussed and embraced. Relaxed hair has been the "norm" and discussed for a decades. It's time for natural hair to receive all the love it can get.

I'm relaxed again for now, and would encourage anyone thinking about going natural to "Do it!". I know with 100% certainty that I will go natural again, and I'm 100% sure I won't do it again with a big chop. :look: :nono:

We should be able to style our hair any way we want, without there being a big to do about it. I think all the hoopla is because it's becoming more mainstream in today's society, people are curious about big, curly and type 4 hair. Because it is demonized so much, who would dare go natural when they don't have to? Some are trying to share information and others feel like "they must be militants, let's investigate!"

I saw Chris Rock's Good Hair for the first time yesterday, and I really didn't see any positive purpose or usefulness in the film, but then again, maybe it opened some peoples eyes to how big a consumer our population is.

We are definately in the midst of revolution concerning black hair. I am 5 months post-relaxer and there is a really strong force against the thought of me relaxing again.

I'm on a year stretch to *see* if I want to long-term transition. The more time goes on, the more it's no longer a question but a choice. I'm transitioning.

I can't say that it's all because the new stigma relaxers seems to have or the backlash, as you call it. It's also personal because I tried to go natural as a young teen and my sister really discouraged me telling me how much I "Need" to get a relaxer because when I asked her to braid it for me she started then refused to finish because of how thick it was. Over and over again she told me in my ear "You NEED a relaxer!" Oh I cringe at that ignorant discouragement because I had a go natural buddy at the time. This was in the 90's. As I see more ladies do it, the more inspired I get to redeem that time and do it for myself.

I also want to have the versatility to do natural styles or wear it straight. I love protective styles, such as bunning and updo's more than wearing it down anyway so I really think I can hang as a natural. My hair has reached good potential as a relaxed head as far as growth and thickness but I just feel it's time.

I already know when I have a daughter I won't be relaxing her hair. I'm breaking that cycle, because I resent that I grew up with it. I will be conditioning her to keep her hair natural. So why not start now? (while no future daughter is in sight) By the time she's old enough to remember mommy's hair I want her to remember it natural. So if she want's hair like mommy's, she'll have hair like mine without the need of a relaxer.

no debate here, but we do have alot of relax heads who are chopping their long hair to twa and it kind of bothers me but again its just hair.. it wil grow back..still smh...lol
oh btw I am relaxed/telaxed...

I think that there is a difference between Black women, at large, deciding to wear their hair in it's "natural" state and the media's construction of Black female beauty as being charaterized by natural hair. The first is empowering for women who once felt like this was not an option, the second is simply the result of the continued fetishism of the Black female body by the dominant culture. This has gone on for centuries and will continue; these constructions are fluid and ever changing and should not impact your representation of your own beauty.

Natural hair is "in." These pendulums usually swing. Wasn't natural hair "in" during the 70s as well?

I personally think the natural wave is a backlash against the long straight style that was in the latest 5 years or so. Everyone on tv had long straight hair. Even the lady on Law and Order SVU was rocking her short hair straight.

Black girls musta got tired of trying to live up to that ideal. Let's see if the white girls enjoy attempting to follow US into big fros and curly styles!

To be honest I wish hair in general was less about fads and this style/that style and simply more about health. The whole thing just strikes me as pointless. Pick up an average black hair magazine and it's got a dozen and one articles about styling hair with hot combs, flat irons, curling irons and weaves, wigs, and lace-fronts but maybe 2-3 little tiny inserts about how to actually care for my hair growing from the head.

I think it's great the magazines are devoting attention to caring for natural hair but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they do exclude relaxed hair for the time period. Like someone said these things come in waves and unfortunately we haven't learned to involve everyone in the debate. It's always going to be one or the other.

First off, let me say that I'm not trying to start any sort of fights about "good hair" vs. "bad hair" or anything like that. I am just noticing that as of late there are more and more anti-relaxer messages out there . . . from things as broad and in your face as Chris Rock's Good Hair to articles in Essence, Clutch (online e-zine), and other outlets that seem to exclude relaxed hair in articles discussing hair care . . . .

As a relaxed sista, I'm kinda :ohwell: about that. I'm not saying that we shouldn't celebrate natural hair . . . indeed, we should. It's quite revolutionary that it's becoming more mainstream after years of being viewed a choice that is "radical" or "political." It's just hair, people. So, given that I recognize that, why must we do a seeming 180 degree flip to excluding relaxed locks from the discussion of African American haircare? No, it's not me "wanting to be white" or denying my heritage. Again, it's just. hair. Sheesh.

Am I just being paranoid or has anyone else noticed this trend. Any thoughts on the subject in general?

Why are you upset about it?

The "IT" being this supposed anti-relaxer tone...which to me is probably more pro-natural than anything...which people are obviously ticked about (which is hilarious, ironic and sad at the same time, lol)
It's just hair, right? :look:

I just want to add:

An open admiration and/or adoration for natural hair does not equal disdain for relaxed hair. This is not aimed at you Glib, but there are some who confuse the two.

I haven't noticed it too much but I have noticed some, but that is mostly from mainly natural sources, I'm not a natural hair nazi either. My sister buys black hair magz and it is filled with relaxed ladys and weaves. A majority of the current hair shows I've seen are focal points of relaxed hair and weaves. In my country town everyone is relaxed, there are about 3 other naturals out here including me. Even in movies I hardly see many natural women, I do see light skinned naturals in tv commericals, but thats about all.

IMO the anti relax parade that I do see is comming from people realizing how damaging relaxers CAN be. I think the attention should be on how to safely relax hair, and how to properly care for relaxed hair. I think there is allot of bitterness in people who are victims of uneducted and kitchen stylist, who burned their scalps with relaxers, or they are bitter because they think their hair isn't long because of the relaxers. Just because you go natural doesn't mean that your hair is going to be healthy, or that you are going to know how to care for it. Chances are if you can't take care of relaxed hair you can't take care of natural hair. I agree that people need to stop attacking relaxers, and put the focus on unhealthy hair care practices and just common sense.

I'm natural and I have noticed this as well but having natural or relax hair should be a matter of choice. To me there is nothing wrong about having relax hair b/c in the end of the day, is it really going to affect me in any way shape or form what another person does to their own hair? Hair is hair.

Yes, I have noticed it, too...but only on hairboards. It doesn't bother me at all, though, because what I do with my hair is my business. I just thank God that I finally know how to maintain a healthy head of hair, regardless of how I choose to "style" it.

Oh god not another one of those threads :whip:!!! OT I know you meant good and I do mean that, but dang we getting a little to political about hair recently.

How can the hair that grows out of your scalp be in :perplexed?

It's like saying keeping your natural skin tone is "in" for the moment... It's ridiculous :lol:

I'm happy that people are realizing that they no longer have to conform. I'm also ecstatic that black women are learning to love their hair despite the barrage of derogatory comments being spewed at them.

It's like saying keeping your natural skin tone is "in" for the moment... It's ridiculous :lol:

I'm happy that people are realizing that they no longer have to conform. I'm also ecstatic that black women are learning to love their hair despite the barrage of derogatory comments being spewed at them.

LOL, it really is...

there are a lot of new naturals getting relaxers. I have been doing more and more on dry unkempt natural heads. that is all i will say about that.
just give it awhile. people do it for different reasons, and it takes awhile to see what is best for you vs. what everyone says is best for you.

Sure, its a new trend, but I don't understand why you are getting worked up about it. Relaxed hair is still the mainstream. Pro-natural doesn't necessarily mean anti-relaxer, and if its just hair to you then why not let people embrace and talk more about going natural without seeing it as a nuisance or threat? At this point, its not as big a revolution yet as you fear either.

I also definitely don't think relaxed hair care is being "excluded" in any way just because a few natural hair articles (and one movie) has popped up more every now and then. Relaxed hair care is still dominant in most magazines and I don't think it would be wrong if it we saw less of it (as natural hair care was virtually non-existent for pretty much our entire history in America up until now). Last time I checked I still have to frequent LHCF or Nappturality to learn about my hair.

BTW, I don't think Good Hair made as much an impact as you might think. It barely even discussed natural hair and dwelled only on pointing out what many black women do to their hair without any definitive conclusions about it.

You would think that didn't happen but it does, hence the reason I often hear light-skinned guys talking about how they're making a comeback...LOL

Persecution complex. Is like white folks scared Mexicans are taking over. You're still the majority, by far. Bask in your relaxed privilege.

I think that there is a difference between Black women, at large, deciding to wear their hair in it's "natural" state and the media's construction of Black female beauty as being charaterized by natural hair. The first is empowering for women who once felt like this was not an option, the second is simply the result of the continued fetishism of the Black female body by the dominant culture. This has gone on for centuries and will continue; these constructions are fluid and ever changing and should not impact your representation of your own beauty.

Great point.

Back