Back to relaxed....

Sondice

Ok so here's my hair story....
I started to transition March 08, due to a string of bad salon visits, which left me with horrible breakage. Before that peroid though my hair was APL, very thick and strong. Since then, I'm natural and have grown my hair to past APL. I've learned what my hair is like in my nautral state. I know this sounds stilly, but its not scarry to me anymore. But inspite of this, I miss straight styles, I miss not spending 2hrs detangling, or spending like 6hrs trying to straighten and having look like HAM and bunning it. To me my relaxed hair was more versatile. So I guess I'm here to say that I'm like 80% sure that I want to relax. Now after being on LHCF I know why my hair broke off so bad back then, and what could have been done to prevent that. I know now that relaxed hair can be just as healthy as natural hair. If any of you can help me out and give me any tips, especially if you were natural, and then relaxed and have good experiences with it, or if anyone knows of any good threads about this topic, I would really appreciate it, thanx :)

Aww! I am sure others will chime in, I texlaxed and have been natural off and on for about 6 years, I have never been past a 1inch Twa, but now decided that I will just texlax twice a year, I don't care for bone straight hair, I like my thickness and bigness and curls, but if that is what you want to do then do it, It is alot of ladies with relaxed hair that has done a 360 so it can be done!

I know that wasn't much help, sometimes I do regret texlaxing but I am happy, maybe later on down the road I will go and stay natural!! Good Luck to you and make sure you post pics to track your progress!!

Ok so here's my hair story....
I started to transition March 08, due to a string of bad salon visits, which left me with horrible breakage. Before that peroid though my hair was APL, very thick and strong. Since then, I'm natural and have grown my hair to past APL. I've learned what my hair is like in my nautral state. I know this sounds stilly, but its not scarry to me anymore. But inspite of this, I miss straight styles, I miss not spending 2hrs detangling, or spending like 6hrs trying to straighten and having look like HAM and bunning it. To me my relaxed hair was more versatile. So I guess I'm here to say that I'm like 80% sure that I want to relax. Now after being on LHCF I know why my hair broke off so bad back then, and what could have been done to prevent that. I know now that relaxed hair can be just as healthy as natural hair. If any of you can help me out and give me any tips, especially if you were natural, and then relaxed and have good experiences with it, or if anyone knows of any good threads about this topic, I would really appreciate it, thanx :)

I too went back to relaxed hair after 6 months of natural. I miss my bob and the ease of relaxed hair. I now know what it takes to maintain healthy relaxed hair. Best wishes

India

Good luck on your new journey. The only thing i can advice you is not to jump on every bandwagon blogged about.

-Relax every 12 weeks if you can.
-Use a gentle shampoo once a week.
-Always deep condition with a DC that says to use for 10-15 minutes.
-IMO you may need a light protein treatment at least 2x a month (but do what works for you)
-and moisturize
-limit heat

HHG:spinning:

girl, your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!

Good luck on your new journey. The only thing i can advice you is not to jump on every bandwagon blogged about.

-IMO you may need a light protein treatment at least 2x a month (but do what works for you)
-and moisturize
-limit heat

I relaxed after being natural for several years. I'm having a good experience so far. In fact I think being natural for so many years gave me an edge in that I was very knowledgeable & intimate with my hair already, about what my hair could & could not handle, how it behaves, and I didn't have any unrealistic expectations and have not experienced any real surprises. In fact, it's faring better than it ever has. :look: I think knowing your natural hair so well already is a tremendous asset. :yep:

I know what you mean about the detangling and the styling time for natural hair. That was one of the main reasons why I relaxed, and I am still glad that those days of marathon twisting sessions are a thing of the past. I too feel that my relaxed hair is more versatile for the amount of time I would like to spend on it. :yep:

I have been in this boat as well. I don't regret relaxing. My story was the same as yours...jacked up relaxed hair...transitioned and finally BC'd... I missed my straight styles as well...and felt I would be bored with natural styles all the time. And heat straightening didn't last long enough. So I relaxed again. I love my relaxer. I think having been natural, my hair is the healthiest ever. It helps me be able to manage my new growth, which is something I could never do, before. So now I'm able to stretch to 10-12 weeks, when before I would relax at 6 weeks maximum...

You should do whatever is easiest for you and makes you happiest! Natural hair is beautiful, but it is no cake walk.

I relaxed after being natural for several years. I'm having a good experience so far. In fact I think being natural for so many years gave me an edge in that I was very knowledgeable & intimate with my hair already, about what my hair could & could not handle, how it behaves, and I didn't have any unrealistic expectations and have not experie
nced any real surprises. In fact, it's faring better than it ever has. :look: I think knowing your natural hair so well already is a tremendous asset. :yep:

I know what you mean about the detangling and the styling time for natural hair. That was one of the main reasons why I relaxed, and I am still glad that those days of marathon twisting sessions are a thing of the past. I too feel that my relaxed hair is more versatile for the amount of time I would like to spend on it. :yep:

That's good to know :) Yea spending my whole weekend doing hair isn't fun for me ne more, lol it never was but yea

Well I'm relaxed now but I'm transitioning back to natural. I've never had problems with my relaxed hair.

I think low maintenance and proper technique is key. My hair responds well to deep conditioning and protein as needed.

I relaxed at the most every 12 weeks, that was frequent for me. I used to relax once or twice a year if that.

What worked for me was washing deep conditioning and rollersetting every week.

There are plenty of tips here so I'm sure you'll find a good regimen if you want to relax again.

I have been in this boat as well. I don't regret relaxing. My story was the same as yours...jacked up relaxed hair...transitioned and finally BC'd... I missed my straight styles as well...and felt I would be bored with natural styles all the time. And heat straightening didn't last long enough. So I relaxed again. I love my relaxer. I think having been natural, my hair is the healthiest ever. It helps me be able to manage my new growth, which is something I could never do, before. So now I'm able to stretch to 10-12 weeks, when before I would relax at 6 weeks maximum...

You should do whatever is easiest for you and makes you happiest! Natural hair is beautiful, but it is no cake walk.

Thabk u girl :) u hit the nail right on the head, I mean @ 1st I thought natural hair would be better for me, but its like I have to do sooooooooo much to it for me to be happy with it, even when its in a bun, and I'm just over it. I remember when I was relaxed, I would just wake up, throw my hair in a messy bun, and go, and it looked good

Aww! I am sure others will chime in, I texlaxed and have been natural off and on for about 6 years, I have never been past a 1inch Twa, but now decided that I will just texlax twice a year, I don't care for bone straight hair, I like my thickness and bigness and curls, but if that is what you want to do then do it, It is alot of ladies with relaxed hair that has done a 360 so it can be done!

I know that wasn't much help, sometimes I do regret texlaxing but I am happy, maybe later on down the road I will go and stay natural!! Good Luck to you and make sure you post pics to track your progress!!

No girl u def helped :) thanx a lot, I def will post pics, I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if I can go somewhere for a consultation or something

-and moisturize
-limit heat

Omg girl BTW, your hair is beaaaaautiful :) Yea I def plan on keeping it simple, wash, dc, and rollerset once a week, also I def need to add protein treatments. As a natural I've only done 2 or 3 in the past 2 years, but I know with relaxed hair imma have to do it a lot more. Oh yea I def wanna stretch for atleast 12 weeks. When I was relaxed b4 I did, not cause it was halthier but because I was a poor college student and couldn't afford to go every 6 weeks like I wanted too lol :) But I def noticed that my hair thickened up considerably bc if it, and I retained waaay more length

Back