Ayurvedic Hair Growth Updates?

I also have version of it. OMG Im in love with this way of co washing. In my fotki I also created a step my step guide. I flat ironed today (as best I could )and I cannot believe how thick my hair has gotten. Im sticking to this for life.

Could I have your password so I can check out your recipe?

Hey Fancy, How do you measure your Amla powder etc. with conditioners?

Anna

I use about 100 grams of amla powder which usually is 1 box. I then add 1 teaspoon of shikakai, brahami, and 2-3 teaspoons of bjhrandi powder. I want a moisturising conditioner and according to Candy_C, bjhrandi and amla are moisturising powders so you should use more of them. I then add about 32 ounces of moisturising conditioner. I have been using tresemme but I learned that it causes buildup so I am going to switch to Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner. I then add 1 cup of coconut oil and the eo, mix it all up and I am finish. My hair has thicken up alot and I lose very little hair from it. This is my new conditioner.

I use about 100 grams of amla powder which usually is 1 box. I then add 1 teaspoon of shikakai, brahami, and 2-3 teaspoons of bjhrandi powder. I want a moisturising conditioner and according to Candy_C, bjhrandi and amla are moisturising powders so you should use more of them. I then add about 32 ounces of moisturising conditioner. I have been using tresemme but I learned that it causes buildup so I am going to switch to Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner. I then add 1 cup of coconut oil and the eo, mix it all up and I am finish. My hair has thicken up alot and I lose very little hair from it. This is my new conditioner.

Hmmm, I don't know, I really like Tresemme remoisturize with B5 conditioners and the other tresemme conditioners as well. I will just have to clarify my hair twice a month instead of once or every 3 weeks.

Does anyone have like numerical results for growth, or is this just for thickening and silkiness?

Sui Topi, I use henna for thickness and strength only, not even for coloring.

im thinking about starting a ayurvedic regi:look:

You should, you won't regret it. Over time the rewards are unmistakable.

Does anyone have like numerical results for growth, or is this just for thickening and silkiness?

Hi, I just wanted to mention that my hair is growing really fast using these products. I usually get a touchup relaxer every 8 weeks and it's only been 4 so far and it feels like 8. My new growth is soft, but I am seriously wondering how I'm going to make it to 8 weeks, lol.

I am loving how strong and soft this makes my hair feel. My bald spot and my nape are filling in fast. I'm trying to learn more about this ayurvedic mixes and oils so I can continue to progress in taking care of my hair.

Using candy c's method. see ayurvedic support thread for my regi.

Okay, do you think that my tea is too thin. When I pour the tea over my head the consistency is like drinking tea. Is that okay or too thin?

1 1/2 tsp of shikamla powder 1/2 c hot water and 1/2 c cold water.

Amla reinforces the curl patterns in curly hair. Of course you hair will feel thicker using that much because it makes curly hair curlier. I'd reverse it personally, and do 3.5 oz (ie 100 grams) bhringraj and the others in the same proportions you named. I prefer bhringraj to the other herbs, so that's just my preference.

Using candy c's method. see ayurvedic support thread for my regi.

Okay, do you think that my tea is too thin. When I pour the tea over my head the consistency is like drinking tea. Is that okay or too thin?

1 1/2 tsp of shikamla powder 1/2 c hot water and 1/2 c cold water.

That's the ideal consistency, IMHO...thin. You want to be able to get the benefits w/o worrying about any powder residue.

Since everybody's different, one person's results wouldn't tell the whole story. The herbs DO provide silkiness, strength, and thickness, but they also promote healthy growth. The Indo-Pak subcontinent has all the visual proof you need.

Yes, I actually got 1 full 32ounce bottle and 1/2 of the other 32ounce container. I have enough to last me for awhile. I love this conditioner because I shed very little. I usually add my SAA to the mixture before applying it to my hair and I forgot yesterday and I still had little hair shed. I love these powders/oils.

You're lucky, when I used these powders the first time, I shed sooooo much. I lost like 300+ hairs in one hour (yes I had the patience to count all the shed hairs :perplexed). I'm actually afraid to use the rest of them. I want to finish them up but I'm afraid of losing soo much hair like I did last time, I guess not everyone's scalp can tolerate the powders?

^^^ Were you in braids or some sort of "protective style" before using these powders? If so, the probably removed the hair that you had shed but hadn't been combed out.

If course, not everything is doe every body....but the 1st time you use a product, your body has to get used to it. The sheddn should have slowed down to normal by the 3rd use.

jamaara,
quick question, are these powders just meant to be a rinse? or can they be used as a conditioner and left in for 30 minutes or more? i learned my lesson about shikakai, with that one i know the answer is no. LOL but i was wondering about the more moisturizing powders like maka and brahmi. today i suppose i was in the adventurous mood again, since i have not gotten my cassia in so i tried these two mixed with the trader joes conditioner and some homemade amla oil and left it on for about 30 minutes. my hair came out soft, very soft, almost like feathery soft. not bad, but not quite what i was going for... i kind of felt like if i had added the shikakai, maybe a little it might have come out perfect, but i am a little afraid of the shikakai, you know why. grin.
anyhow, i spraid a bit of protein on my hair this evening, and did my usual night routine with moisturizing and sealing and all seems to be well. not like last week when i could have renamed my self squeaky
edited to say:
this wasnt such a quick question was it?:lachen:

^^^ Were you in braids or some sort of "protective style" before using these powders? If so, the probably removed the hair that you had shed but hadn't been combed out.

If course, not everything is doe every body....but the 1st time you use a product, your body has to get used to it. The sheddn should have slowed down to normal by the 3rd use.

I wasn't in braids or a protective style, but just like out. I haven't used the powders since that incident until tonight, but this time i didn't put them on my scalp, I mixed them with conditioner and coconut oil, SAA and Honeyquat and just put the mix on my hair and ends. This time I didn't shed alot, but we'll see when my hair is completely dry.

jamaara,
quick question, are these powders just meant to be a rinse? or can they be used as a conditioner and left in for 30 minutes or more? i learned my lesson about shikakai, with that one i know the answer is no. LOL but i was wondering about the more moisturizing powders like maka and brahmi. today i suppose i was in the adventurous mood again, since i have not gotten my cassia in so i tried these two mixed with the trader joes conditioner and some homemade amla oil and left it on for about 30 minutes. my hair came out soft, very soft, almost like feathery soft. not bad, but not quite what i was going for... i kind of felt like if i had added the shikakai, maybe a little it might have come out perfect, but i am a little afraid of the shikakai, you know why. grin.
anyhow, i spraid a bit of protein on my hair this evening, and did my usual night routine with moisturizing and sealing and all seems to be well. not like last week when i could have renamed my self squeaky
edited to say:
this wasnt such a quick question was it?:lachen:

You used way too much shikakai that last time...like ounces! No need to be afraid of it in smaller measures, like teaspoons or tablespoons. Just like w/ anything, you can overdo a good thing. Try using shikakai in 1/4 tsp and if you want more added to your mix, add it by the +1/4 tsp to see what your hair/scalp likes.

You can use the powders in conditioners and for more than 30 mins, tho not overnight for starters. After all, I told you I added the powders to henna/cassia and those are kept on for longer than 30 mins. I wouldn't mix them in a whole container of conditioner, but I'd make a tea 1st and add that to the amount of conditioner that you want to use at the time. Powdered herbs work best and are at their most powerful when you mix them w/ liquids at or close to the time of use. Some of the Indians do these procedures every time they wash their hair, but I'd not use the powders each time I washed. For me, I'd do it every 2 wks-1 month and use the oils as maintenance in between times.

This is something you want to build up over time. Doing a massive amount the 1st time won't yield the results you want. As you learn what the powders do for YOUR hair, you start playing around w/ their measures...adding more of some and less of others.

Last edited:
I wasn't in braids or a protective style, but just like out. I haven't used the powders since that incident until tonight, but this time i didn't put them on my scalp, I mixed them with conditioner and coconut oil, SAA and Honeyquat and just put the mix on my hair and ends. This time I didn't shed alot, but we'll see when my hair is completely dry.

Let us know what happens. Do you have any idea of the measures you used the 1st time vs now?

In Indian stores. Sometimes it's sold as bhringraj and other times maka. If all else fails, buy it on ebay or at http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2635317 . Start small to see fi you like it before investing in larger sizes is my advice.

(LOL...I'm thinking in Jamaican tonight hence "fi". I meant IF, but a Jamaican would overstand ^^ :) )

I'm not Jamaican but not only did I overstand but I started reading with a slight accent :look:.

Thanks again for all your knowledgeable post.

Well, I've been using ayurvedic oils since October of last year and since I have noticed thicker growth as well as more manageable new growth. My hair is still growing at the same rate, but it's very soft new growth.

I have just started using powders and a shikakai bar, so I really can't give a good estimate on that as of yet.

Your Hair has thicken very much. Very Nice

You used way too much shikakai that last time...like ounces! No need to be afraid of it in smaller measures, like teaspoons or tablespoons. Just like w/ anything, you can overdo a good thing. Try using shikakai in 1/4 tsp and if you want more added to your mix, add it by the +1/4 tsp to see what your hair/scalp likes.

You can use the powders in conditioners and for more than 30 mins, tho not overnight for starters. After all, I told you I added the powders to henna/cassia and those are kept on for longer than 30 mins. I wouldn't mix them in a whole container of conditioner, but I'd make a tea 1st and add that to the amount of conditioner that you want to use at the time. Powdered herbs work best and are at their most powerful when you mix them w/ liquids at or close to the time of use. Some of the Indians do these procedures every time they wash their hair, but I'd not use the powders each time I washed. For me, I'd do it every 2 wks-1 month and use the oils as maintenance in between times.

This is something you want to build up over time. Doing a massive amount the 1st time won't yield the results you want. As you learn what the powders do for YOUR hair, you start playing around w/ their measures...adding more of some and less of others.
you are right jamaara,
i def over did the shakakai :lachen:
i will put a little bit in the next time a do a treatment. if i make a tea with the powders and then add it to the conditioner, wouldnt it make the conditioner too watery? or do you pour the tea over your hair and then without rinsing it out, add conditioner over it for the alloted amount of time. this is what i was thinking of trying next time.

^^^ Depends on how thick the conditioner is you're starting w/ and how much tea you're putting in you conditioner. Depending on what conditioner I was working w/, I'd probably put it on 1st and add the conditioner on top or do a combo conditioner...super thick stuff w/ your regular and add in the tea. You don't have to make a ton of the tea, just enough get the ingredients to your hair and scalp.

Back