Attention all Individual Braid Wearers, I need advise

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I got my hair braided yesterday with individual braids using straight hair ( human blend) instead of wet and wavy.

I am loving the style and everything but the girl who did my hair used spirz and stated that I shouldn't use wet products so that the braids don't unravel.

I wanted to do crown and glory using braid spray and Surge but now I am worried. Is it true that the braids can unravel? Also what about washing my hair how should I wash my hair? Also the hair is straight and because it is a blend I can't use heat but can I use flexi rollers on my hair to get a little curl?

Any advise would be appreciated. I will post pictures later tonight or tomorrow

hothair

Well if it's human hair it's true it COULD unravel once it gets wet (as in washing)- but she must have sealed it somehow so you can still use a braid spray. I would be cautious with washing though cause the human hair would very likely slip off with conditioner if its human hair. Sorry not too helpful.

P

patient1

Did she braid past the ends or put some sort of knot in the ends.

I've done individuals with human hair (I prefer to work with a specific synthetic) and I braided past the ends. One woman lost a couple of braids in the areas where her hair was really short and thin but she decided to gel those areas instead of rebraiding them (I thought it best to let that area rest from braids). Some braiders would slip glue in there or put a knot in. If that's the case, you should be cool as far as the braids unraveling BUT concerned about removal.

In my opinion, it's more important that your real hair gets nourished and moisturized whether that equals unraveling or not. Perhaps you should dilute shampoo or conditioner in a big pitcher and pour it over on wash days as opposed to directly applying the product. Spritz your hair generously and I'd oil my scalp a few times a week.

That's just my deuce.

p1

Nonie

Just seeing this now. Human hair extensions do unravel when the hair is new but braiding to the end does help keep them tidier longer. I do my own braids and have major HIH disease, so I don't mind the unraveling as it gives me an excuse to have my hands in my hair rebraiding the ends. It only unravels up to where my hair ends (I'm natural and have type 4 hair, which holds very well when braided.)

I don't take any precautions to prevent the unraveling, besides braiding to the end. I find that the older the extension hair gets (and I reuse mine for months - since I don't take them out once in but touch them up as needed), the braids unravel less. When washing your hair, you could put the singles into several big plaits and put rubber bands at the ends (kinda like the C&G washing hair in braids method). I don't do this, and my hair does unravel as the pics below show:

One thing I do if I have to be somewhere and don't feel very comfortable with the unraveled braids is put my hair up (Wearing my hair up gives it a tidy look while I buy time to touch up all the messy braids (in the evenings) in prep for wearing it down); wear it in French braids since the part with my hair is somewhat neat and the messy part gets hidden in the French braid...and if I did that on wet hair, I can wear it as a braid-out once my hair is dry, which disguises the unraveled braids beautifully.

Bottom line, have the braider braid to the end, which will give the braids a longer life. I also think if you can keep the braids wavy (like put them in a pony braid for the night...or several single firm plaits), the'll unravel less. I can wear my braid-out for a week w/o redoing my braids and no one is any the wiser just how unraveled they are. And they don't seem to get worse either.

P

patient1

^^^^THIS is why Nonie is our resident braid expert! I was gonna suggest you pm her! :) She should open her own business. hint~hint!

p1

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
patient1 said:

I've done individuals with human hair (I prefer to work with a specific synthetic) and I braided past the ends. One woman lost a couple of braids in the areas where her hair was really short and thin but she decided to gel those areas instead of rebraiding them (I thought it best to let that area rest from braids). Some braiders would slip glue in there or put a knot in. If that's the case, you should be cool as far as the braids unraveling BUT concerned about removal.

In my opinion, it's more important that your real hair gets nourished and moisturized whether that equals unraveling or not. Perhaps you should dilute shampoo or conditioner in a big pitcher and pour it over on wash days as opposed to directly applying the product. Spritz your hair generously and I'd oil my scalp a few times a week.

That's just my deuce.

p1

She did braid past my hair but she didn't put in any knots or glue. What kind of synthic hair do you use?

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
patient1 said:

That's just my deuce.

p1

She did braid past my hair but she didn't put in any knots or glue. What kind of synthic hair do you use?

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Nonie said:
Just seeing this now. Human hair extensions do unravel when the hair is new but braiding to the end does help keep them tidier longer. I do my own braids and have major HIH disease, so I don't mind the unraveling as it gives me an excuse to have my hands in my hair rebraiding the ends. It only unravels up to where my hair ends (I'm natural and have type 4 hair, which holds very well when braided.)

I don't take any precautions to prevent the unraveling, besides braiding to the end. I find that the older the extension hair gets (and I reuse mine for months - since I don't take them out once in but touch them up as needed), the braids unravel less. When washing your hair, you could put the singles into several big plaits and put rubber bands at the ends (kinda like the C&G washing hair in braids method). I don't do this, and my hair does unravel as the pics below show:

One thing I do if I have to be somewhere and don't feel very comfortable with the unraveled braids is put my hair up (Wearing my hair up gives it a tidy look while I buy time to touch up all the messy braids (in the evenings) in prep for wearing it down); wear it in French braids since the part with my hair is somewhat neat and the messy part gets hidden in the French braid...and if I did that on wet hair, I can wear it as a braid-out once my hair is dry, which disguises the unraveled braids beautifully.

Bottom line, have the braider braid to the end, which will give the braids a longer life. I also think if you can keep the braids wavy (like put them in a pony braid for the night...or several single firm plaits), the'll unravel less. I can wear my braid-out for a week w/o redoing my braids and no one is any the wiser just how unraveled they are. And they don't seem to get worse either.

Thanks Nonie,

I will see what happens

Poetrygirl

If she did not knot or use glue then yes it can unravel and I would be cautious if I had to wash my hair, they do have non-wash braid and scalp shampoo that you might want to invest in. I am wearing micros right now and I have washed my hair once and it did not unravel, I have human hair but she also knotted the ends which prevents it from unraveling. FYI the next time see if she can knot it, I do not like the glue because it too sometimes comes off and the braids can unravel. Since they are already in, I would suggest in the non-wash braid and scalp shampp, it can purchased at any hair store.

sunshinebeautiful

Poetrygirl said:
If she did not knot or use glue then yes it can unravel and I would be cautious if I had to wash my hair, they do have non-wash braid and scalp shampoo that you might want to invest in.

I was gonna say the same thing. I'm wearing micros now with human hair. They are knotted at the ends to prevent unravelling so I can wash these. I've done the ones that are spritzed before and you cannot really wash those because they will unravel and slip out. I've used the non-wash braid & scalp shampoo to keep my scalp clean while wearing them.

P

patient1

LadyR said:

Freetress Soft Yaky Braid. It's straight...none of the bend that usually comes with Yaky Pony OR the baby doll shine that I deplore. It takes on the look of human hair. It's soft and very light (doesn't weight your head down)....easy on the hands while braiding. Doesn't hardly tangle AND it's cheap. 1.99 per pack. Hard to find though...

p1