ATL Ladies: Why do you need LHCF?

You know what? It just may as well be the water. Everyone on my father's side of the family has healthy, long and thick hair. My mother has nice hair too. And when I was growing up, my hair was always very healthy and much thicker. I wonder if it is the water. And again, the hair salons in the Atl area are top notch. Also, it's the culture. Like I said I think ladies there place a high value on getting their hair done weekly and consistently. I know I did. And I didn't have to put so much work in, either.:look:

so u guys out in ATL have the dominican salons all over too? Man let me tell u, one of my closest friends is Dominican and she can blow dry the HELL out of some hair! What she also let me know is that Dominicans are not into all that grease and stuff that we as Black women believe we need to make ur hair grow. They deep condition, deep condition, deep condition. I still think women as a whole are becoming more conscious about having healthier hair and bodies.

I have been in ATL for 10yrs and have literally lived almost everywhere and see that a lot of ladies can’t keep their hair healthy or get stuck at shoulder length. Honestly b/f the lhcf I never saw black women with real waist length hair.

I live in Atlanta too and what I've noticed is that 90% of the girls I meet have a weave in their hair. :rolleyes: It's an epidemic. You can go years without seeing your friends' real hair.

I'd say 95% of the women I saw in Lenox yesterday had a weave in their heads...only a few LHCF notable ladies... it's a random sample, so it may count for something. (but it doesn't mean they don't have BSL hair underneath it...)

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with "Atlanta beauties" because 9 out of 10 people I meet in Atlanta are NOT from Atlanta.

maybe its coincidental....but I've seen girls in my class retain nice length just from visiting dominican salons... it works for her... maybe it works for a lot of everyone else because my hair feel mad short when I go to get my hair done at a dominican salon.

I lived there for less than a year and noticed the same thing. More so than the length I noticed many ladies hair was HEALTHY whether short or long. That was when I came to the conclusion that no matter what the length of my hair, I want it to be healthy.

I think it's also the fact that many hair shows are in ATL and women take pride in their hair and hair salons. It's like a competition of who can have the best salon. No really! I remember my salon was in a ragedy strip mall but when you walked inside it looked like a palace!!

Yea, i'm moving up in a year. People up here don't play with their hair.:nono: However, I notice they have a "straight by any means" love up here. Too much hot combs. Thats why I'm wondering how they manage to get their hair so straight with all the wrapping and heat? It is the "fat back" hair grease. Spill it!

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with "Atlanta beauties" because 9 out of 10 people I meet in Atlanta are NOT from Atlanta.
In the last 10 years or so since the Olympics, there has been a large influx of migrants who have moved to the area from somewhere else. Perhaps they've moved to the D.C. area? There are a lot of native Atlantans (myself included) who have moved here and a lot of native DConians who have moved down there, and other migrants from the North, Charlotte, Dallas, Memphis, Chicago and the westcoast. The population of Atlanta has changed drastically since I've moved here. But when I was growing up, I tell you, the culture was very much attuned with hair and beauty, and it's very much a part of the socialization of being in the south: ladies care very deeply about their hair and place a very high value on getting it done frequently. I guess I can only speak from my experience but the haircare industry is HUGE in the south, primarily Atlanta, Charlotte, and even Dallas (though not necessarily the south).

...when I was growing up, I tell you, the culture was very much attuned with hair and beauty, and it's very much a part of the socialization of being in the south: ladies care very deeply about their hair and place a very high value on getting it done frequently. I guess I can only speak from my experience but the haircare industry is HUGE in the south, primarily Atlanta, Charlotte, and even Dallas (though not necessarily the south).

I agree with these statements. I am originally from the South and about to move back. I've lived where I live now for about 15 years. I live in an area where blacks are affluent but they still do not, for the most part, know how to dress or take care of their hair. I guess they just don't care or don't have time because of their busy lifestyles..long commutes..etc. etc...

For instance, I was in the shoe section of a very nice retail store recently and there was another sister in there and she was eying a shoe. She asked me if I thought that shoe would be appropriate for fall/winter and I told her that I thought it would look great..especially with black or other colored tights. She said she thought so too because she'd seen it in magazines but said that if 'we wore that around here people would look at us strangely because they are not fashion conscious here'. I agreed but I told her that she should get the shoe and not worry about others lol. She agreed.

Where I am from people care a lot about their hair and appearance. My mother went to the salon every week and still does. Until this day I can't leave my house in just plain jeans and a t-shirt or with my hair undone because of her and I never wear tennis shoes unless I'm working out. People are casual and relaxed here (In my current area). It's a good thing but I'm used to dressing up so that's what I do. Women in the south just believe in being ultra feminine for the most part. I love the Southern Charm of the men and women:yep:.

I need LHCF to keep some money in my own pocket. I used to visit the salon 2 or 3 times per month paying at least $65 per visit. GA's humidity and my thick hair are not a good combination, so I was always in the salon trying to tame my hair. Now, I wash it, airdry it, and bun it. Then throw on a cute scarf.

I agree with the fact that Atlanta has a large middle-and upper-class African-American population, so that may have something to do with it. And most the women in my circle of friends have grandmothers like mine who would be turning in her grave if I walked out of the house with my hair looking like I hadn't taken the time to do anything to it.

Noticed that too. Along with the fact that they got some meat on their leg bones :lachen:
Totally OT:

Funny. I lived in Atlanta for basically all of my life and now I live in Nashville. It's hillarious but men here always identify me as an Atlantan because of my meaty thighs.

PS:

I am going to post an in-depth review of Clara's Hair Design's in Riverdale, GA in my blog. Look for it tomorrow.
The prices are veeery cheap. I think she said mondays, wednesday is $10
" 'poo & style"days. They carry Mizani, they use Affirm and/or you can request something different.

http://www.clarashairdesigners.com

PS:

I am going to post an in-depth review of Clara's Hair Design's in Riverdale, GA in my blog. Look for it tomorrow.
The prices are veeery cheap. I think she said mondays, wednesday is $10
" 'poo & style"days. They carry Mizani, they use Affirm and/or you can request something different.

http://www.clarashairdesigners.com

Uh oh, thats like 5 minutes from my house. Prices are cheap you say? Do you anyone that goes there? good experiences? And tomorrow is wednesday!!! Thanks!!

Uh oh, thats like 5 minutes from my house. Prices are cheap you say? Do you anyone that goes there? good experiences? And tomorrow is wednesday!!! Thanks!!
My aunt and I went. I took photos, but i don't have the cord. I'll upload them when i get back home on my blog.

I lived there for less than a year and noticed the same thing. More so than the length I noticed many ladies hair was HEALTHY whether short or long. That was when I came to the conclusion that no matter what the length of my hair, I want it to be healthy.

I think it's also the fact that many hair shows are in ATL and women take pride in their hair and hair salons. It's like a competition of who can have the best salon. No really! I remember my salon was in a ragedy strip mall but when you walked inside it looked like a palace!!

I was gonna say...I've noticed many heads that weren't necessarily superlong, but they were super healthy. I've seen chin length hair that looked so good it made me want to cut mine. :yep:

I saw a girl at a Hawks game once who had natural hair almost identical to Sydney Poitier's. I was drooling.:lachen:

My aunt and I went. I took photos, but i don't have the cord. I'll upload them when i get back home on my blog.

Never mind. I just found out that this is the salon my friend goes to and ive been too lazy to go there. But....my mom and I are getting ready to go this morning. Ill give you my feedback :lachen:

I live in Atlanta too and what I've noticed is that 90% of the girls I meet have a weave in their hair. :rolleyes: It's an epidemic. You can go years without seeing your friends' real hair.

Yes, this is VERRRRY true! :lachen:

When I first moved here I had a friend who I didn't knew had a weave and I had known her for months. I didn't realize til someone else had broke it to me, lol. It made me wonder who else had weaves b/c where I went to school there were sooo many pretty young ladies with LONG hair. For most of them, it was their natural hair. But I realize now that's not the case with everyone here.

Not that I knock weaves. Hey, I had a long, straight weave in college myself.....twice! And there were some people that knew me that swore it was my hair, lol. So if ya'll ever need a good weave, come to the ATL....the stylists here know how to hook up a sister up with that good stuff!

You know, there are a lot of great weavologists in Atlanta. :grin: Honestly, the majority of women that you see with the long hair probably have weaves! The techniques used here are FLAWLESS and Atlanta stylists are usually on top of the new stuff. I've been living in the ATL off and on for about 7 years and I actually see just the opposite of those that say they see a lot of long hair women. I see a lot of women with weaves - some good and some bad. The rest of the women have unhealthy short to shoulder-length hair. Then I see a lot of dreds or locks and now it's becomming more popular to go natural. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but that's usually what I see. Don't get me wrong -- the weave jobs can be hard to detect. But I think I have pretty good "weave-dar" so I can usually spot it. :yep:

Maybe its because Atlanta is the "black hollywood" ( the reason for everyone looking good with long hair ect.)

Arent their alot of models and such?

Plus---like everyone else said, maybe its the weather, and all the high quality salons (because of the high quality money, thats a high price area isnt it?)

If not, im about to do a search on water and see whats good

I'm here visiting ATL and I see sooo many women with long, straight healthy hair (a first, really). I mean, there are a lot of weaves but, for the most part, women with loooong hair. Unless all of these women are Nikko's cousins.:perplexed:look: So, whats the problem?

I visited ATL not too long ago and I noticed the same thing.....

Eh...i went there thtis morning and i wasnt impressed. My hair wasnt swanging like the way it does with my other stylist :ohwell: I know it depends on the stylist..........

I live in Atlanta and it's true. Beautiful hair is everywhere. What you have a lot of times is women with decent length adding a couple of tracks to give extra volume or a few more inches of length. Therefore, it looks really natural. But there are alot of women with really beautiful healthy hair as well. I remember growing up in NJ, we were all "snatch-bald" lol. Okay...maybe not snatch bald but most of us had little pony tails. Here, it's the opposite. It's also an economic thing. There are a lot of affluent blacks who have the money to pay for quality products and stylists and the average woman here is knowledgeable about what is going in her hair. But if you go to the hood, you see women's hair in a very different condition because they exclusively use what they find in the corner hair supply store, which ain't always that great.

Back