Are you getting the full benefit of vitamins…

Proudpiscean

I remembered reading somewhere that vitamins that don’t dissolve in a glass of vinegar (mimics the ph of the stomach) within 30 minutes aren’t getting absorbed properly by the body. So I did so research and here’s what I found out.

Does your multi-vitamin dissolve properly?
Some manufacturers claim that many brands of vitamin tablets are so hard that they go through the body undissolved, and quote nurses who find vitamin pills in the bedpans of their patients. While this can happen, here's a simple "acid test" you can apply to find out if your multi—or any other pill!—dissolves properly:
1. Place approximately one cup of white vinegar in a small bowl and warm it to 98 degrees or so by placing it inside a larger bowl of water that you "top up" several times with warm water from the tap. (The goal is to keep the vinegar reasonably close to 98 degrees for half an hour.)
2. Drop your multi-vitamin (or other pill) into the vinegar, and jostle it about every five minutes or so by gently shaking or swirling the cup. While you can also stir the mix with a wooden stick or toothpick, be careful not to touch the tablet itself.
3. The tablet should dissolve within 30 minutes. (This is the USP standard for all pharmaceutical tablets.) If it doesn't dissolve within a full hour, it's not doing you much good. Get another brand!
Reference:
http://www.supplementquality.com/news/multi_vitamins_minerals.html

I tested my vitamins (now I didn’t warm the vinegar, but if it will work with room temperature vinegar-it will certainly work with warm vinegar) and to my relief both my Natures Bounty hair, skin & nails vitamins, and my GNC Ultranourishhair vitamins dissolved in less than 30 minutes!
This test can be done for any pill or supplement you are taking- not just vitamins. I should also add that some medications are specially coated or meant to dissolve in the intestines (those are enteric coated)-not the stomach, those aren’t the ones I’m referring to.
Of course you could always try a liquid vitamin, but they taste really bad!:perplexed

Test your vitamins ;)

Last edited:
I take MSM, acai, and liquid silica regularly. They all dissolve in water (no vinegar necessary). As a matter of fact, when I'm tired of swallowing pills I pull the gel caps apart and make a tea out of 'em w/ Crystal Light.

I just started taking Robin's Supervitamin formula, but I know it's being absorbed because it colors my urine (ewww).

sareca said:
I take MSM, acai, and liquid silica regularly. They all dissolve in water (no vinegar necessary). As a matter of fact, when I'm tired of swallowing pills I pull the gel caps apart and make a tea out of 'em w/ Crystal Light.

I just started taking Robin's Supervitamin formula, but I know it's being absorbed because it colors my urine (ewww).

gel caps should definitely dissolve without a problem :lol:

Sareca- I heard (from a nurse) that when you can see the vitamin in your urine then its just passing though you....its all comming out and if it were staying in your body then you shouldn't see evidence in your urine.
I would do this test just to make sure...

Back