Are you a Harry Potter Fan?

Do/have you read Harry Potter books -what is your opion?

• Total voters

Zeal

Many people are crazy about Harry Potter. They wait in anticipation for the next book (as I used to do- Left behind series). Do you thik it is okay to read these books. I have learned and have also seen report that the woman ho wote these books was actully a part of this life style (the occult). Many things in the book may or may not be actual spells.

I have not read any of the books. My sister is a school teacher. She decided to read teh first book when it came out. She said that it made her physically sick reading it. She said she had headaches and it made her on edge. She felt as thoughit was just coiencidence and continued read it. Se evntually stopped. She said and I quote, " It clashes with my spirit. It does not agree with my spirit." She immediately stopped reading the book.

What do you think? Do you have any interests? Have you read the book? Spiritually what do you think of the subject matter and reading this book?

PaperClip

My understanding re. Harry Potter and Christianity is that since Harry Potter deals with witchcraft, the occult, that it is spiritually unhealthy for Christians to be exposed to or to even entertain it via watching it. Sorcery, witchcraft and the occult means interacting with other spirits other than the Holy Spirit, other gods instead of the Lord God in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ, which would violate Exodus 20:3 "thou shalt have no other gods before me".

The Bible talks about those who dabbled in the occult, fortune-telling, etc. and how offensive it is to Him, particularly because it attempts to mock, mimic or copy the power of God, but at best, it is a counterfeit of the real and true power of God. (Deut 18:10-13). And this book series is so seductive and enticing, seemingly harmless, but the Bible says to not even be CURIOUS about it....

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Never got 'caught up' in Harry Potter; neither do we entertain the fantasy with our children. There are no Harry Potter replicas in our households. ;)

We have plenty of 'Veggie Tales' though. :lol:

alexstin

Shimmie said:
Never got 'caught up' in Harry Potter; neither do we entertain the fantasy with our children. There are no Harry Potter replicas in our households. ;)

We have plenty of 'Veggie Tales' though. :lol:

Love the Veggies!;)

myco

Speaking of books, I was shocked the first time I walked into a Christian bookstore and I saw "The Chronicles of Narnia" series. I read that when I was younger and it talks about "black magic and witches". I actually think it's just as bad if not worse than the Harry Potter series.

Has anyone heard or does anyone know why one is okay and the other is not?

SilkyandSmooth

Yes!! I guess you can tell by the siggy, huh? :lol:

I've already seen the OOTP movie twice. The 7th book is almost here and I am pretty excited about it. I pre-ordered from Barnes and Noble.com as soon as the title was released earlier this year. I can't wait!

ETA: I don't see anything with the books or movies. It's fiction afterall.

Last edited:

mrsmeredith

myco said:
Speaking of books, I was shocked the first time I walked into a Christian bookstore and I saw "The Chronicles of Narnia" series. I read that when I was younger and it talks about "black magic and witches". I actually think it's just as bad if not worse than the Harry Potter series.

Well, I did not read the book but I loved the movie. Churches support this movie as well. It has spiritual concepts. Its help you to understand what christ did for us.

Blackoutzangel05

Personally, I just started reading the first Harry Potter book and I like it. I take it as what it is and that is fiction. We don't allow our daughter to read the books or view the movies...My husband is a fan of Harry Potter because the movies have so much action and good graphics in them.

I am not sure if its right or wrong to view them but I do know that I don't let those thoughts and ways affect me. I know its not real and I know that my God is real.

myco

Blackoutzangel05 said:
Personally, I just started reading the first Harry Potter book and I like it. I take it as what it is and that is fiction. We don't allow our daughter to read the books or view the movies...My husband is a fan of Harry Potter because the movies have so much action and good graphics in them.

I am not sure if its right or wrong to view them but I do know that I don't let those thoughts and ways affect me. I know its not real and I know that my God is real.

I agree. I think they are great stories. I like the movies because over the course of all of them, you get to see all of the child actors grow up. Just looking back at the first one as opposed to the latest one is so interesting.

Shimmie

Staff member
Blackoutzangel05 said:

I think its good that you are 'aware' of its content. As parents, we need to know what is going on; for even what we don't allow around our children in our homes, they are still exposed to so much of it in school (via classmates, teachers, etc.) and when they visit other homes.

God doesn't want us to be ignorant of satan's devices. We need to know what he's using to infuence our children. The same manner as we 'screen' their company, we also screen their amusements.

So much is going on with our 'Babies'....we can't afford to rest from being aware of all that's out there.

Being a Christian doesn't mean keeping our heads in the sand. We need to look up, down and all around in this walk.

Glib Gurl

I have no interest in Harry Potter or any other "fantasy" novels or movies . . . they never appealed to me.

My mom, however, *loves* Harry Potter . . . and she's a very devout Christian. She says that Harry Potter is a good "character" and that the stories are more or less morality tales about good and evil . . . Harry only uses his power for good ;)

I really enjoy the movies. I don't get caught up in the hype of the books, clothes & merchandise. I was more excited about re-runs of the Lord of the Rings and the release of Transformers than Harry Potter. I was late getting into the movies because I wanted to be careful with what I allowed into my spirit. I think Harry Potter is harmless to the well grounded, spiritually mature person.

Shimmie

Staff member
Glib Gurl said:
I have no interest in Harry Potter or any other "fantasy" novels or movies . . . they never appealed to me.

My mom, however, *loves* Harry Potter . . . and she's a very devout Christian. She says that Harry Potter is a good "character" and that the stories are more or less morality tales about good and evil . . . Harry only uses his power for good ;)
Hi GG (Hugs)... You've shared a good point here. I too know many adults, Christian and non Christian who like / enjoy Harry Potter for the same reasons as your mom. ;)

The issue with Harry Potter is that it exhalts 'Man' without giving credit or honor to God who ultimately gives us the power over the enemy. We don't want our children to grow up with the concept that they are 'self-made' gods.

This is where we have to draw the line. As adults, we 'know' (at least adults are supposed to know :look:) the difference. Where children are still very impressionable and they are not relating God to being the one who overpowers evil.

In the stories, the movies are extremely 'attractive' with it's adverture and technology; the movies hold a captive audience; so with that alone and with this in mind, it is Harry Potter who is proclaimed as the hero and hence seen as no need for God. It's all about man's conquests.

Yet with Godly adventure, even King David proclaimed to Goliath that he came in the name of the Lord; in crossing the Red Sea, it was proclaimed so in the name of the Lord. Battle after Battle being fought in the Bible, the children of God gave God and God alone, the Glory. People knew that each battle fought and each victory won, it was not done without the mercies of the Lord. It's God's glory, not man's.

It's not Harry's power that we wish for our children to believe in...only God's. And we have to be very careful as Christians to whom we give credit to and how we justify Harry Potter's movies.

Dee Raven

I LOVE Harry Potter. I was up at 12am last Wednesday for the release of the movie. And I will be up at 12am on Friday to get my copy of the last book. I don't see anything wrong with fantasy fiction. Fiction = not real. I don't think that JK Rowling is involved in witchcraft. She was a teacher. And as for her spells, she probably made them up. They're all basic greek, latin derivatives. It really astounds me the rumors that have been created by someone who has done nothing more than write an incredibly good story and entertain people.

And for those who've only seen the movie, until you've read the books, you will never undstand they hype. The movies are good, but they don't compare.

And lastly, I think it's really great, that Rowling has gotten people to actually enjoy picking up a book. I was looking at borders.com this morning and the online alone has already sold over a million copies.

sexy c

To many Christians put to much in to this. Its just a book and the fact that it deals with a wizard puts people in odds. I love the book and movies and im very much a christian. Its just entertainment for children, if the book was about anything else but a wizards i dont think it would matter so much. Some people put too much time on their hands to worry about a book that deals with a wizard and his friends.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I enjoy the books. If you "have" read any of the books....all of them is about Love. How love and good wins over evil every time.

Like "all" movies/books....the main character "is" the hero. So of course they're going to get all the credit. What action/adventure movie did the main character did not defeat the bad guy? And the main character in all books/movies is the hero. But unlike other movies/books.....HP always has an underlying theme. Good prevails over evil no matter what.

We all are going to have different opinions on this and no matter what anyone says.....we all have our "own" beliefs. Just because someone doesn't believe what you believe.....doesn't mean it's wrong.

My relationship with God is a personal one and only He knows my heart. So....with that said.......I like HP.....see nothing wrong with it. I like the meaning behind every story.
If you don't like/agree with HP.....that's ok too. Everyone has a choice and who am I to say who's right or who's wrong.
:grin:

Shimmie

Staff member
sexy c said:
To many Christians put to much in to this. Its just a book and the fact that it deals with a wizard puts people in odds. I love the book and movies and im very much a christian. Its just entertainment for children, if the book was about anything else but a wizards i dont think it would matter so much. Some people put too much time on their hands to worry about a book that deals with a wizard and his friends.
I can understand what you're saying about Christians may be putting too much into the issue of Harry Potter.

However, being one who knows witchcraft, I know the precautions. I know how subtle the enemy can use it. Trust me, I know.

And as long as we think its (only) entertainment, it makes it all the more easier for satan to have his influence. Are we as Christians supposed to fear wizardry/witchcraft? NO! But we are to choose wisely what influences we allow into our spirits and especially that of our children.

You see, being a Christian or wearing a Christian label doesn't protect us from deceptions or being swayed or fencing our faith. God warns us consistantly about what we allow into our minds. satan is very subtle; for what Christian in their right mind would willingly serve a devil who makes himself known up front who he is?

They wouldn't and satan knows this. Therefore he comes in with the subtle...so called 'harmless' effects, and little by little eases his doctrines of 'compromise' into the hearts of those he's taken in.

To be 'aware' of Harry Potter is a wise thing. To defend it....Hmmmmmm, :nono: You see, satan has already taken one in....that's how he works.

(Peace and Blessings...Angels..)

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Shimmie said:
To defend it....Hmmmmmm, :nono: You see, satan has already taken one in....that's how he works.

For you to say that is judgemental. :nono: You do not know any one's walk/relationship with God.

alexstin

myco said:

I saw Chronicles of Narnia but after doing some research online(I'd heard some disturbing things) I decided not to buy it. I agree, no different than Harry Potter.

deejoy

Nope. I read a few pages online and I could tell it was not going to be something I was interested in. Booooooooring. I'm generally not a fan of fantasy either.

Tracy_W

Dee Raven said:
I LOVE Harry Potter. I was up at 12am last Wednesday for the release of the movie. And I will be up at 12am on Friday to get my copy of the last book. I don't see anything wrong with fantasy fiction. Fiction = not real. I don't think that JK Rowling is involved in witchcraft. She was a teacher. And as for her spells, she probably made them up. They're all basic greek, latin derivatives. It really astounds me the rumors that have been created by someone who has done nothing more than write an incredibly good story and entertain people.

And for those who've only seen the movie, until you've read the books, you will never undstand they hype. The movies are good, but they don't compare.

And lastly, I think it's really great, that Rowling has gotten people to actually enjoy picking up a book. I was looking at borders.com this morning and the online alone has already sold over a million copies.

I completely agree with everything said. I am a Christian and I also enjoy reading Harry Potter books. I am not so much into the movies, but I find the books entertaining.

Honestly, I do not see the harm in these books. I agree with previous posters who say we should monitor what our children see and learn, but I think there should be no problem for adults who are grounded in their religion.

cutiebe2

I don't see anything wrong with the books. I guess im not serious enough about religion to even think of it harming my faith? I dunno...I am religious but I think books are books. I think it is very healthy for people to explore fantasy and even if it is "witchcraft (I regard this as fiction)" I think its important to learn about everything, all types of religions, wheather they are viewed as witchcraft to some.

I remember reading Harry Potter in 5th grade and parts of middle school, but once I got to HS I stopped. I am going to read the 4th book...then see the movies, and then I will be ready to read the 7th book!!!

Minx

Shimmie said:
I can understand what you're saying about Christians may be putting too much into the issue of Harry Potter.

However, being one who knows witchcraft, I know the precautions. I know how subtle the enemy can use it. Trust me, I know.

And as long as we think its (only) entertainment, it makes it all the more easier for satan to have his influence. Are we as Christians supposed to fear wizardry/witchcraft? NO! But we are to choose wisely what influences we allow into our spirits and especially that of our children.

You see, being a Christian or wearing a Christian label doesn't protect us from deceptions or being swayed or fencing our faith. God warns us consistantly about what we allow into our minds. satan is very subtle; for what Christian in their right mind would willingly serve a devil who makes himself known up front who he is?

They wouldn't and satan knows this. Therefore he comes in with the subtle...so called 'harmless' effects, and little by little eases his doctrines of 'compromise' into the hearts of those he's taken in.

To be 'aware' of Harry Potter is a wise thing. To defend it....Hmmmmmm, :nono: You see, satan has already taken one in....that's how he works.

Oh, Amen, amen, amen!

I agree with Shimmee, especially the bolded parts.

My sisters in Christ, please hear me when I say this:
We are living in the last days!!!!

This is not a joke, this is real!
Satan is real!

That witch craft/sorcery stuff has no place in the Christian home.

The Word tells us to guard our gates; our eyes, meaning be careful not to watch everything, and our ears, meaning do not listen to everything.

Why?
Because this is how demonic forces get into our spirits without us even realizing it.

The devil is so, so sneaky and cunning.

He is all about DECEPTION!
The Word of God says "Be not deceived"!

The enemy comes packaged up all nicely, looking harmless and and we think its all innocent,
but letting that demonic stuff in your spirit is not cool.
Just look how enticing it is.
Got people all mesmerized:eek:

Remember what the word says about how sly the devil is in terms of getting people to take his mark,the mark of the beast?

The Word says he (satan) will "cause" people to take his mark.
That means that he most likely will not just come right out and ask people to follow him.
Instead he will deceive.

People, even Christians, may "think" they are immune to satan's schemes, not at all aware that some things they are doing in their lives lead up to demonic worship or demon possession.
Just read the Word.........he(Satan)will cause them to take the mark.

Please remember that if you think this Harry Potter stuff is harmless.

I pray for all of you to stay covered in the blood of the lamb.

Peace and blessings,
dk

Zeal

Shimmie said:

I feel as though we have to be very careful what we allow into our spirits via out eye gate and ear gates. For example I used to love Will and Grace. It was very entertaining. But once you start watching those types of thing (satan is subtle). Once you start you will start saying aww that is cute. It's just a show. It's ok. (wining voice) I like Jack.

Yes and I did like Jack however, I was finding a lifestyle not pleasing to God funny and cute. Then I realized that I shuld stop watching the show. It glorified sin.

Next thng you know, you are supporting a gay lifestyle. I am not saying that all people will get caught up. Just be careful what you allow to enter your spirit. Like I said ... My sister did not know what the book was reallyabout and pre-read for classroom. The book made her physically ill.

Another thing that happened once. Charmed was on. The cat walke in the same room as the TV and immediately stopped in his tracks. He actully walked back out of the room backwards. He seemed frightened

Shimmie

Staff member
Puddles said:
For you to say that is judgemental. :nono: You do not know any one's walk/relationship with God.
Puddles please don't be offended. My judgement is of the enemy (satan); not anyone personally. This I promise you. I don't doubt for a minute that you nor anyone else here has a wonderful walk with the Lord. However, this makes one all the more a target for satan...an attractive target for sure to weaken / challenge ones walk.

Dear one, here's something to consider...

From II Samuel 1:19-27:

The beauty of Israel is slain upon thy high places: how are the mighty FALLEN!

How are the mighty FALLEN in the midst of the battle! O Jonathan, thou wast slain in thine high places.

How are the mighty FALLEN, and the weapons of war perished!

Puddles, satan wants in. he doesn't care how he does it or to whom, those in or out of Christ Jesus...satan wants in. he seeks to capture and destroy anyone with any tactic he can use.

One of the choicest of his targets are those 'strong' and/or growing in their 'walk' with Jesus. he wants to take them down. Ever wonder why a man will sweet-talk, wine and dine a woman just to bed her and then leave her? Its no different with satan. he will use anything to 'capture' and destroy and it all begins with our minds; then our wills, and finally our flesh. It's all a typical pattern.

he will use enough of the 'good'; seemingly harmless; and just enough of the truth to conceal his plan and little by little, he seeps his influence into our spirits until we feel comfortable with him and hence unable to recognize him for whats really going on...a plot for the killing of us in our faith.

Don't feel judged...you're not. Just be aware. Fully aware and allow the Holy Spirit to keep you open to satan's devices.

Again...I judge you not. I can't and I won't. But I can judge the enemy because I 'know' him. But even more, I 'know' Jesus and its in Him that I move and live and breathe and have my being. This I believe of you too.

But be aware...for you are a prime target of the enemy. he's not going to announce who he is, out front. he doesn't have to, for he has found too many places to disguise himself. You see, our 'babies' are also the prime target of satan. Cartoons are the biggest way to capture a child's attention and lure him/her into adventurism/fantasy. Children absorb this and hold onto it as true. And if mommie/daddie applaude it, our babies will too.

"How are the Mighty Fallen....?"

The greater satan's target, the more boost for his ego.

"How are the Mighty Fallen....?"

((( Big Hugs ))) :kiss:

Last edited:

mango387

myco said:

I have watched the C of N movies and I started reading the C of N book. From what I have seen and heard, this is TOTALLY different from Harry Potter. I heard that C. S. Lewis, the author, wanted a way to introduce children to Christian principles and ultimately Christ without banging them on the head with it. (Sorry, I could not think of a better way to describe it). Therefore, he created his tales with the witch and the other villains representing Satan, etc. I watched an interview from C. S. Lewis's relative on the Hour of Power (Crystal Cathedral), and he was a fascinating guy apparently.

One thing that the relative said during that interview that sticks w/ me is that he had another relative who was a nonbeliever who went from religion to religion (not denomination) seeking the true religion. Eventually, the relative returned to Christianity, because "all searches for truth lead back to the cross" (there are no objections from this little mango fruit either w/ that statement;)).

Shimmie

Staff member
Zeal said:
I feel as though we have to be very careful what we allow into our spirits via out eye gate and ear gates. For example I used to love Will and Grace. It was very entertaining. But once you start watching those types of thing (satan is subtle). Once you start you will start saying aww that is cute. It's just a show. It's ok. (wining voice) I like Jack.

Yes and I did like Jack however, I was finding a lifestyle not pleasing to God funny and cute. Then I realized that I shuld stop watching the show. It glorified sin.

Next thng you know, you are supporting a gay lifestyle. I am not saying that all people will get caught up. Just be careful what you allow to enter your spirit. Like I said ... My sister did not know what the book was reallyabout and pre-read for classroom. The book made her physically ill.

Another thing that happened once. Charmed was on. The cat walke in the same room as the TV and immediately stopped in his tracks. He actully walked back out of the room backwards. He seemed frightened
Zeal, I had the same experience with the show 'Will and Grace.' I like the actor, Eric McCormick. But one day when the show was on, the Holy Spirit gently spoke these words to me, "That Show Offends Me."

Zeal, I was so grieved in my spirit. For I was watching this show for entertainment. It was funny and when you've spent a long day at work; frustrated in rush hour commutes; long lines at the bank/grocery store... you look for a 'release' when you come home. The show appeals to our need for joy and laughter.

However, while we are being entertained, we are gradually being 'drawn' into acceptance of a lifestyle that doesn't honor God. What's so sad is that this show is on syndicated programing early evenings where so many of our children have access to it....they are being subjected to accepting an unholy lifestyle.

Disclaimer: I'm putting this out into the open for those who may be offended. I do not hate gays; neither do I fear them, hence I am not homophobic. People are still human beings and I care about them. However, it is only the 'act' / the gay lifestyle that I speak against and nothing more.

Last edited:

PaperClip

Cosigning the Will & Grace references. Shimmie's and Zeal's posts convict (not condemn) me of my actions on this matter. My "excuse" for watching was that the show was funny and I liked the comraderie of the foursome (esp. as I wish I had such comraderie in my real life:look:) but I had put my fleshly pleasure over the fact that the content is not pleasing to the Lord.

Shimmie

Staff member
RelaxerRehab said:
Cosigning the Will & Grace references. Shimmie's and Zeal's posts convict (not condemn) me of my actions on this matter. My "excuse" for watching was that the show was funny and I liked the comraderie of the foursome (esp. as I wish I had such comraderie in my real life:look:) but I had put my fleshly pleasure over the fact that the content is not pleasing to the Lord.

I have another experience. I was totally hooked on the show, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." It was a cable show of 4 gay men who had very much class and they would literally transform a 'straight' guy from his sloppy housekeeping and dressing and grooming habits.

I loved this show, especially since it targeted one of my favorite pass times, 'Home Decor'. And I loved the comraderie of the group of men who really do have good taste and excellent grooming habits. But the Lord asked me a question one day. "Do you think that gay men are the only ones who know excellent grooming and home decor?"

The show's main objective was to gain appreciation of gays. To see them in a different light. I see no fault in this, as they are still human beings with a heart full of love as anyone else. However, the Lord was alerting me to something more. This was another subtle way for satan to decode our ethics regarding homosexuality.

Yes, many will say this is going overboard, but its not. It's just something to be aware of. For I noticed something else in the show, these men never renounced their lifestyle and they never will...meaning they were using the show to grand stand and support homosexuality, the act --- even more than homosexuals, the human deserving of love. And placing it into the homes (via television) of those who would normally not entertain homosexuals. Hence our children being subjected to accepting the lifestyle as the normal and being okay.

The media is a powerful tool. A very powerful too and satan is having a hayday with it.