Are there special rules for trimming/dusting?

MuslimahTresses

I wanna clean up my ends a bit but I really don;t know how to. I know I should use sharp scissors and cut the split hair like 1/4 in above the end. Is that it?

I do s&d's -- search & destroy where you just cut the split. I use a magnifying mirror and make sure there is plenty of light.

If my hair is curly from a wash n go, I find I have to twist the hair in sections to see the splits. I basically sit with the mirror in front of me and take a small section of hair and twist it all the way down. Then I look for splits along the length of the twist and cut those off about 1/8-1/4 of an inch above the split. Then I twist the other way, and do the same with any other splits I find.

If my hair is straight, I don't need to twist it to see the splits. I can just hold up small sections of hair and the splits stick out.

I am very careful to separate out the split hair and only cut one split at a time. Also, I only use the tips of very sharp hair scissors. With just using the tips I feel like I have more control/precision.

Also, I could only do this well once my hair in the back was long enough to pull forward so I could see it in the magnifying mirror.

HTH

i'm new at trimming my own hair but if i want to give a "good" trim, as i'm flat ironing my hair i take small sections, about 1 1/2-2in in width and flat iron then trim. i usually just take the raggedy ends off. if its raggedyness(not a word but...:p ) goes too high up, i just trim a little of it. i make that a gradual trim. i'll come back to that later, like 2-3months:D
sometimes i do a search and find also. look thru my hair for splits and trim those strands only.
i'm also finding that amla oil is really helping with my ends and the over all health of my hair.

I dust my hair in twists done after I stretch my hair out. I usually just take the very ends off. Maybe an 8th of an inch or kinda like honeybadgirl, take of the ragdey ends. Once a year I straighten and give myself a good trim.

Back