Are there any steps that I should take daily to get/maintain healthy the hair??

Bliss806

I would like to know the steps that I should take to have healthy hair. I know there are things you can do on a daily basis like taking vitamins but what are some good vitamins to take for healthy hair? I don't take vitamins at all but I know that I should.

Bliss, this board is full of ways to get healthy hair. Way too many to name in one thread. Why don't you lurk around a little and really pay attention to the threads and read some of the tips about vitamins and hair conditioning and maybe try some of the techniques.

But again girl, way too many to name in one thread :lol: But just look at the threads, you will find all the answers you asking about.

AvaSpeaks is right on. There are many, many ways, tips, tricks and techniques for fostering healthy hair. It's also important to remember that what works for one/some, may not work for all.

Here are the things that helped me most:

-- Deep conditioning weekly with a good conditioner. I deep condition with a plastic cap, under heat for at least 20 minutes each week.
-- Using supplements since my diet is not ideal. I usually use a supplement that contains biotin or just take biotin alone. Others use MSM, horsetail, silica, etc. Be wary of supplements though. Many cause breakouts or other problems and this is an individual thing that you have to monitor.
-- Regular trims. Doesn't work for all but it worked for me the first year or so that I started taking care of my hair because there was a lot of damage/dry hair to get off. So I did small frequent trims every 6-8 weeks instead of doing one big trim. This also helped curb any new damage that I was doing as I was learning to care for my hair.
-- Regular protein treatments. My hair is fine and naturally weak. I do a hardcore protein treatment every 4 to 6 weeks. Many don't need this kind of treatment that much and some are "protein sensitive".
-- Being careful with relaxers. There are many threads on this. I've stopped getting relaxers but before I stopped what was most important for me was to not overlap or apply relaxer to previously relaxed hair. No pulling through to the ends. This may not be a rule for everybody but for me, it was critical.
-- Learning how to style and care for my hair without breaking it. It took me a long time to learn this. Every time I was brushing and combing my hair there were little pieces all over the sink. This small breakage added up over time so that it seemed like my hair wasn't growing past a certain point. Maybe I'm slow but it probably took me a year to learn how to detangle my hair without breakage and how to style it while reducing brushing and combing.

Look around, read a lot and you will find lots of things that will help you. :yep:

AvaSpeaks is right on. There are many, many ways, tips, tricks and techniques for fostering healthy hair. It's also important to remember that what works for one/some, may not work for all.

-- Deep conditioning weekly with a good conditioner. I deep condition with a plastic cap, under heat for at least 20 minutes each week.
-- Using supplements since my diet is not ideal. I usually use a supplement that contains biotin or just take biotin alone. Others use MSM, horsetail, silica, etc. Be wary of supplements though. Many cause breakouts or other problems and this is an individual thing that you have to monitor.
-- Regular trims. Doesn't work for all but it worked for me the first year or so that I started taking care of my hair because there was a lot of damage/dry hair to get off. So I did small frequent trims every 6-8 weeks instead of doing one big trim. This also helped curb any new damage that I was doing as I was learning to care for my hair.
-- Regular protein treatments. My hair is fine and naturally weak. I do a hardcore protein treatment every 4 to 6 weeks. Many don't need this kind of treatment that much and some are "protein sensitive".
-- Being careful with relaxers. There are many threads on this. I've stopped getting relaxers but before I stopped what was most important for me was to not overlap or apply relaxer to previously relaxed hair. No pulling through to the ends. This may not be a rule for everybody but for me, it was critical.
-- Learning how to style and care for my hair without breaking it. It took me a long time to learn this. Every time I was brushing and combing my hair there were little pieces all over the sink. This small breakage added up over time so that it seemed like my hair wasn't growing past a certain point. Maybe I'm slow but it probably took me a year to learn how to detangle my hair without breakage and how to style it while reducing brushing and combing.

Look around, read a lot and you will find lots of things that will help you. :yep:

Listen to the Scorpios! Also too, lots of ladies on here that have relaxed hair that have been holding out as long as they can in-between relaxers. Going every week is way too much.

I totally agree with what you said about relaxing. At one point I was relaxing my hair just because it came out better when I did my own hair. Now I am stretching the time between relaxers and going up to 8 weeks without it. I believe relaxing is what made my hair thin in the first place. Not to mention letting the dominicans blow my hair out on top of that. I'm learning slowly but that is what I am here for....:grin: By the way I just joined last week so forgive me please if I sound a bit lost on everything.

ITA!

Also protecting your ends. Your ends are the oldest part of the strand and need a lot of TLC.

I check my hair moisture levels daily. At most times I have to add moisture and seal at least once a day. Currently I am finding that I am adding moisture 2 x per day.

No comprimising on what is good for you hair. If in doubt dont do it. You control your hair, not your stylist, family, or friends. Do what you know is best for your hair.

Find what works and stick to it. It is very easy to want to try every product that is mentioned on the forum. You may come out happier investing the money on the products that work for you.

In the end as long as you and your hair are happy you can do whatever you want on this forum but you truly have to pay attention to and respond to where you draw the line with your hair. If it is not working for your hair than stop, and move on, you and your hair will be happier with the outcome.

Happy Growing.

Back