Are there any Naturals who Blow Dry as a weekly style???

Lucky's Mom

I am tired, yall

Yes - I have the right condish, and I am formulating a great detangler ( actually I made a great one - but forgot the recipe):rolleyes:

But - I am TIRED of Detangling.

Is there anyone who Blows - and Goes???
I am considering a Blow Dry life - every couple of weeks...

TIA.....

Wondering about what you do???????????????????

tuffCOOKiE

I think it's just part of having natural hair, no? I know when I had natural hair, I didn't nearly as much tangles as my little sister who has extremely curly hair (think pen springs).

I mean, I don't really know my hair type I want to say it's a 4-something with a z pattern. When I deep condition, it only tangles (and sometimes, breaks) where my hair is the most curly.

I don't want to say there's no hope for you but, I do believe if your hair is already healthy and you're still getting tangles you're prob not using the right product (or, using too much), using the wrong technique for your hair or, your type of curls are more prone to tangling.

LynnieB

I am tired, yall

Yes - I have the right condish, and I am formulating a great detangler ( actually I made a great one - but forgot the recipe):rolleyes:

But - I am TIRED of Detangling.

Is there anyone who Blows - and Goes???
I am considering a Blow Dry life - every couple of weeks...

TIA.....

Wondering about what you do???????????????????

I don't straight up blow dry often, maybe 5 times a year. I find it so drying but what I may do to stretch the hair out is to go on and air dry in several plaits - anywhere from 5-12. Take out one at a time, use some kind of product (IC gel w/olive oil) and maybe a bit of an oil, hold on to the ends and use a warm/medium blow dryer and tension to loosen the braid/twist out. It only takes about 2 minutes per braid/twist to loosen it up.

The hair remembers the original sections pretty well and I just gently separate and loosely braid it up for the night.

That's how I did the pony puff in my siggie.

It really works out nicely and doesn't blast all the moisture out of your hair. I also don't have much problems with the ends tangling, pixie knots or extra dry and crispy ends doing this. It's just another nice change of pace.

Have you tried that yet?

ETA: IC Olive Oil gel (the green one) is nothing like how I hear the clear, blue or brown gels described. That green one is not your typical gel and doesn't get much love anywhere for "curl defining" or "clumping" ability. It's more like a smoothing, more moisturizing, light hold product aka wimpy "gel".

Last edited:

Afrobuttafly

I detangle during the conditioning process and always air-dry. This combats knots and tangles when done weekly for me. I only blow dried when i did my blow out. My hair was oober dry afterwards so I wouldn't make it a regular part of my regimen.

LunadeMiel

I tried this for two weeks but it was way too much manipulation. Plus I have too much hair for that mess ... :nono:

gmw

Yeah I would love to be able to do that often, but the fact is it is too drying... my hair feels like paper.... UNLESS I USE QB HEAVY CREAM AND DETANGLER WHEN BLOW DRYING.... after a deep treatment before hand... and quite frankly I don't have time to do that all the time....

My deep treatment is home made, and makes my hair very smooth...but all those ingredients are needed to achieve the effect, and I haven't gotten any QB since last spring. Been to busy trying other things....

Plus the deep treatment is a really messy task within regards to preparation.....

So I do it like once year....

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
I typically blow dry weekly. I can not stand to have wet hair unless it is pulled back in a bun.

I don't like the shrinkage from just my normal wash and go so I always use a diffuser to dry after I have let it dry on its own for about an hour. I then take my dryer and dry the rest of my hair and stretch it out to show more length.

Lucky's Mom

I don't straight up blow dry often, maybe 5 times a year. I find it so drying but what I may do to stretch the hair out is to go on and air dry in several plaits - anywhere from 5-12. Take out one at a time, use some kind of product (IC gel w/olive oil) and maybe a bit of an oil, hold on to the ends and use a warm/medium blow dryer and tension to loosen the braid/twist out. It only takes about 2 minutes per braid/twist to loosen it up.

The hair remembers the original sections pretty well and I just gently separate and loosely braid it up for the night.

That's how I did the pony puff in my siggie.

It really works out nicely and doesn't blast all the moisture out of your hair. I also don't have much problems with the ends tangling, pixie knots or extra dry and crispy ends doing this. It's just another nice change of pace.

Have you tried that yet?

ETA: IC Olive Oil gel (the green one) is nothing like how I hear the clear, blue or brown gels described. That green one is not your typical gel and doesn't get much love anywhere for "curl defining" or "clumping" ability. It's more like a smoothing, more moisturizing, light hold product aka wimpy "gel".

Thanks Lynn! I will try this!

virtuenow

Yes I blow dry weekly to bi-weekly. I follow up with a flat iron half the time. It works great. I have 4z hair with nearly 100% shrinkage. If I don't blow dry my hair gets crunchy, tangled and knotted. I have the right moisturizers and technique down. For blowdrying, I use the comb attachment. I am a firm believer in heat! I don't know what hair type you are but if you are a looser texture like most of lchf-ers then you may be able to get by w/less heat or the tension method or somethng w/o an attachment.