Are Naturals out numbering Relaxed Heads on LHCF?

What is your hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All the black friends I hang around with are relaxed but on campus there's alot of naturals. However I'm usually only the natural headed person in my class. So relaxed ladies still dominate. I like seeing hair of all types so I'm not complaining in the least.

Oh I'm natural. There's my census contribution for the year.

We had a roll call recently, there were more naturals & transitioners than relaxed and texlaxed. It is amazing. When I first joined here in 2003 as a natural, there were about 10 naturals here and they were all type 3. I didn't stick around. :look: Now I'm in the minority party once again... but you're going to have to ban me to get rid of me now! :grin:

IRL, I don't see too many more naturals than I saw back in the day. (And no, the majority of naturals I do see IRL don't look like they know anything about hair boards or YouTube, same as the relaxed :look:).

It pains my heart not to be able to click 'natural' yet! Almost there!!! Transitioning and can't WAIT to be au naturel!

Last edited:
I also wanted to add that to some degree going natural is a fad. Anything that has a sudden surge in popularity is "fad". But fads stick. I mean, in the 70's the popular thing was afros. When ppl started trading in their 'fros for relaxers and jheri curls--that was seen as a fad back then. Now look, relaxers did stick and became the status quo for a long time. Hopefully, this natural "fad" sticks and becomes the new status quo, which I think it will as black ppl have become more empowered over the years, not to mention society as a whole has become more aware of health, things we put in/on our bodies, etc.

I totally agree with this! When I went natural in 1998, I did so with the intention to change my lifestyle, it wasn't just my hair. I changed what I ate, soaps I used to bathe, clean my house, my clothes, etc., etc. I was in pursuit of a more simple and wholistic approach to my life and health.

I did go back to the "kit" and texlaxed from 2002-2004 pretty regularly, but I've been totally natural again since 2005, and I love it!

Natural for about 15 years. I did it because I always wore my hair curly anyway and I was lazy. I didn't do much with it though. Washngo's were a big fail for me. I'm only recently trying to grow it longer, trying twistouts, and cuter updos.

I don't think it's a trend. I noticed that more and more women are doing it. I remember being the only in the crowd. Now not so much. I do think there will always be relaxed women. If they like it, I love it. :grin: Healthy hair is where it's at regardless of state.

Cool:yep:
now if we can find a way to co exist without putting the other ones choices down.
Very Happily relaxed checking in.

it sure seems like it! everyday i see a new BC thread. i remember a time when there were less than a handful of naturals around these parts.

I've definitely noticed this shift the latest roll call we had the naturals and transitioners were way higher in numbers and it showed me how many lurkers are also going natural or are natural as well.

For me its definitely not a fad, I've been natural since 2005 and my hair truly thrived, when I came here I already had nice length, LHCF gave me an additional community, I learned about sulfates and being here really inspired me to share styles I've done and come up with new ones as well.

I think more women are going natural because more are being exposed to the versatility of being natural and learning that natural hair is no harder to care for then relaxed. I have friends come up to me and say doesn't it take you hours to detangle, and they're surprise to hear it takes me 10-15 mintutes but most of the time because of my techniques I don't have to detangle my hair whatsoever. I have 6 friends of mine that have either BC'd or transitioned because they said they were inspired by my progress and styling versatility being a tightly coily natural.

Just as NikStar said more people are concerned about their exposure to harsh chemicals. I think more and more women are questioning why relaxing one's hair is the default style and simply asking themselves why don't I just let my hair be what it is?

I started lurking here and nappturality in 2004 and 3 months later I was transitioning. My hair was considered long and healthy for real life. But, after seeing such beautiful natural heads, I wondered what mine looked like. I had been relaxing since I was 14 and had forgotten, somewhat. For me it's no fad, I am never going back. My natural hair is now longer (from stretching it out) and healthier than my relaxed hair, too.

Last edited:
I'm natural and loving it. I don't think there is a sure fire way to answer your question BUT I do think more naturals post then people with relaxed hair. I was noticing this as well. For me it's not a fad in the sense that I went natural cause it was the new thing. I did this for me and it was one of my best hair decisions. i don't see myself relaxed whenever a new sleek straight style comes in, I can just straighten my hair and get my kink back when I want it.

PerfectScore, I didn't know you had BC'd! Heck I didn't even know you were transitioning! Congratulations!!!!

I don't know about other people, but for me this isn't a fad. I am not interested in ever relaxing my hair ever again. Whether its a fad for others, I don't know and I hope not. Like I've said before, there are so many more options for us than there were even 15 years ago. There's BKT, flatirons, gels, mousse, blogs, websites such as this one, etc... that will help you with styling options. I think people are more informed now.

Thank you, this is exactly why I'm transitioning to natural again. I've been natural before I found this board but I didn't know what to do with my hair. I got tired of always wearing a fro EVERY SINGLE DAY and the flat iron I had couldn't give me good results. In fact, I believe that I actually thought that no flat iron could and that the ONLY way to make 4b hair straight was to relax it. :eek:

I'm transitioning now because I want to be a natural who's armed with plenty of info, options & advice- all which I can find here and on other blogs.

I'm texlaxed. I think there are more BCing on the board. IRL I think it depends mostly on where you live at. Where I'm at I've only seen a few naturals in the past year but somewhere like NYC or ATL you'd see way more. IMO, as long as we're learning about how to care for our hair whether it be natural,relaxed, or texlaxed that's all that matters. Also like some have said, some new naturals may have questions so they may post more. I know what works for my hair so I'm mostly in the ET and OT but I lurk over here- recovering PJ :giggle:

i've been lurking for almost a year and been an actual member for...almost a month? but i think that the number difference is just that naturals post more. most relaxed heads (myself, for the time being) just read over things, or some may be lurking. it seems naturals (esp those who just bc'd) are very enthusiastic and get 50-11 comments whenever they bc or need product info or something. there's no way to tell really because no everyone votes in polls.

I think it's part of a larger shift, I won't say trend I think it's bigger, towards naturalness in general and "authenticity".

Cleaning products, cars, fabrics, food, and hair, people are becoming aware of the multitudes of chemicals in their lives and are desiring a greener and simpler way of life. There's all these books and speakers talking about living an "authentic" life. I think growing ones hair natural is an offshoot of this movement as well.

au naturale for just about a year and a month now. I'm not going to lie and say that I "found myself" and then BC'ed or anything like that :look: Basically, I wanted long hair and I noticed that everyone I knew in real life with long hair was natural, (not to mention the large list of naturals with long hair on this board). I was relaxed for years and informed relaxed for like 3 more. My hair never got anywhere past NL. The closest I came to shoulder length was when I was transitioning. Then I BCed down back to NL natural hair, and now am about 1 inch to apl now, in one year, when I had been struggling for ages before. So, this definitely works for me. On the way I've learned even more about my hair, like just how fragile my nape is (extremely), and that having good products do not necessarily mean you know what you're doing.

Basically I want to be BSL. That's all! a healthy BSL and I won't care if my hair doesn't grow any longer (lol famous last words), and this seems to be the fastest way to get there.

Transitioner here, almost 11 months post! For me it was a matter of education and awereness.I was in awe always when I looked at pics of my hair as a child, but thought that I could never be natural bc it was unmanageable etc. As I started seeing more people with my texture with long healthy hair, I knew I could do it too!

Many good points stated. Going green, increased education about natural hair care, tired of the hair stylists, etc. I went natural because I finally gained the knowledge for natural hair care, hated going to the relaxer salon-used to delay the appointment until combing made me cry, hated the possibility of scalp damage, saw someone daily and others on LHCF with beautiful natural hair which I wanted to emulate, tired of being one of the rare females of my family with relaxed hair after being natural most of my life{dry, broken, did not know what to do with it}. So glad to be natural again..I love it:yep:!:grin:!

Back