Are megachurches good for the ministry?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
StrawberryQueen said:
I don't like them. I like for my churches to be small. I like going to church and seeing "family." I like to know these people personally. I like to be able to call my pastor up and talk to him. I don't like church on powerpoint with welcoming committees who try to extract money and services from you. But at the same time I realize that these mega churches are bringing the word of God to larger audience, which is a blessing for all. But often times in such settings, I feel the message is diluted.
I can remember in my first church, the congregation was growing so fast and one Sunday, when my daughter arrived for service, we had to sit in an over-flow room. Oooohhhhhhhh, we were miserable and it was so distant as in comparison to being in the sanctuary. It felt so isolated and cold.

I truly understand the need for growth and I respect it and I rejoice in those who have success with it. But, please don't put in me another 'room' again. I'd rather be in the sanctuary with people and not a TV screen which is so distant from the real thing.

But you know, I often wonder how Jesus and the other men of faith managed without all of the high tech equipment that we have today. For they ministered to large crowds often. They didn't have the accoustics that we are blessed with in this time and generation.

Well, God has the right place of worship for all of us. Be it in an elevator or a staduim. He knows the Mega saints and the Mega saints...Yes, I typed a double Mega ... on purpose. :yep: For church size is never the measure of one's heart for Jesus. It's measured by the love we have for one another. ;)

p31woman

Shimmie said:
I truly understand the need for growth and I respect it and I rejoice in those who have success with it. But, please don't put in me another 'room' again. I'd rather be in the sanctuary with people and not a TV screen which is so distant from the real thing.
:lachen: This is why I get to church early...No overflow seating for p31woman:lachen:

Shimmie said:
Well, God has the right place of worship for all of us. Be it in an elevator or a staduim. He knows the Mega saints and the Mega saints...Yes, I typed a double Mega ... on purpose. :yep: For church size is never the measure of one's heart for Jesus. It's measured by the love we have for one another. ;)

ITA!! Shimmie I looove when you respond on this board. Whenever an issue pops up, I always waiting on you to educate the masses.:) Please continue to let the Lord use you to bless us here on LHCF!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
p31woman said:
:lachen: This is why I get to church early...No overflow seating for p31woman:lachen:

ITA!! Shimmie I looove when you respond on this board. Whenever an issue pops up, I always waiting on you to educate the masses.:) Please continue to let the Lord use you to bless us here on LHCF!

You are such a sweetheart; thank you for blessing my day. :kiss:

You're right about early church arrival. :lol: Tell it Girl, go ahead and preach on that subject alone. Being late or just in time for Church is nothing to play with. I applaude you. Please, I will even dance on that :yay: And not just for large Churches. This applies to all. Don't be late. :nono: :lol:

Being a part of the ministry of helps, my babygirl (now full grown ;)) and I would arrive to church an hour and a half before service for intercessory prayer and to prepare for service (greeting, programs, etc. - you know the prep routines before service).

After prayer, I always head to the lady's room before praise and worship so that I can stay put and not be distracted by a full bladder.

Oh my --- on that (overflow) Sunday, when we arrived for service, we were shocked. Where did all those people come from???? We learned hard and fast, to head for sanctuary FIRST reserve our seats before prayer. :lol: Especially on Resurrection Sunday's, cause that's when everyone comes out and fills up the church with their Bibles and suits that were packed away in moth balls....:D (only some...not all...;) )

nissi

Just to add my $.02...

I love growth, and Jesus' ministry was one that attracted thousands. N&W pointed out that the Church at Acts was the same. So it's simply how you manage it.

Our church is a smaller and for our church anniversary we decided to take a different approach this year so that the members could focus on the Lord and each other. We had a hallelujah fest for the children, a footwashing, a concert of prayer (fancy name for an all-night prayer meeting - lol!), and an international day that highlighted all of the cultures represented in our church. It was a sweet time and structured to bring the people together. We didn't want to send away for a speaker, and i personally feel people are more invested in the vision of the ministry as a result. It was so successful, we are going to do it every year.

Having said that, I can say from the churches I have been a part of, selfishness and a lack of concern for the sheep is not just limited to a large or mega church. It simply depends on the pastor, his or her vision, and the leadership to break away from church as usual and really implement some creativity, as the Lord leads. Blessings!

kally

I know this sounds silly, but I would love to go to a mega church. I like being left alone. For most of my life I had belong to a smaller church where everyone knew everyone and we too would get calls for missing, Also I was required to be very involved in the curch activites weekly. So I have had more then my share of that. I always felt faked when talking to people because you could not be yourself without being judged. Do not get me wrong I love fellowshiping with others it is just when it comes to church I want to get lost in the message and be left alone.