April 2017: Hits & Missess

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit: Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel, Inner Fillet

Ingredients: Carrageenan [irish moss] (thickening agent), citric acid (pH stabilizer), potassium sorbate (mold inhibitor)

I have tried AVJ, did nothing for my hair. I have used AVG in the past, but obviously I failed at using it correctly (leaving it on long enough). This stuff actually exfoliated my scalp and laid down my cuticle layer - smooth strands, not just soft hair. Maybe that touch of irish moss and citric acid helped. I need to get some fresh aloe to compare.

Hit: Pumpkin seed oil

Have you ever rubbed straight silicone oil between your fingers? You can feel the ridges of your fingertips bumping against each other. That is what pumpkin seed oil feels like to me. EVOO is too oily for me, but it is supposed to help with reducing DHT, which can cause shedding. Pumpkin seed oil is a great, non-greasy substitute for it and plays well with castor and hempseed oils (my HGs).

TFS, @Sharpened.

The pumpkin seed oil in Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner is one reason I want to try it so badly.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Told ya so. Remember I was tooting this before I really went on my Natural hair product kick
@Aggie
It's thebomb.com.gov.net.biz.edu :drool: It really detangled my hair too.

I got a 'sample' in a NC order and used it today. You know I want a Full-Size now.:giggle:

I might return to stuff like this and Joico and some other Salon Brands after I put a significant dent in my stash. Like maybe 2025.:lachen:...:eek:..:look:

Aggie

@Aggie
It's thebomb.com.gov.net.biz.edu :drool: It really detangled my hair too.

I got a 'sample' in a NC order and used it today. You know I want a Full-Size now.:giggle:

I might return to stuff like this and Joico and some other Salon Brands after I put a significant dent in my stash. Like maybe 2025.:lachen:...:eek:..:look:

:lachen:

:yep: I think it will take you that long and even longer if you continue to buy and buy and buy :lol:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Continued Hits (in no particular order)"Sealers":grin::
QB's abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Butter
Hairveda's Almond Glaze
Camille Rose Naturals Ajani Growth Balm
Alikay Naturals Botanicals
Naturelle Grow's: Sweet Nectar, Healthy Greens, Emu & Argan
CD's Honey Mimosa, CD's Marguerite's Magic
Darcy Botanicals Eucalyptus & Mint
Purabody Naturals Mango & Tea Tree Scalp Butter
MyHoneyChild's Sophia's Old Fashion Hair Grease

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Major hit:
The Ouchless Goody small updo barrettes that Kimmaytube sells on her site. (I got mine on EBay for much less than Amazon has them for). They made wash day significantly easier. I washed sections with them in, DC'd with them in, rinsed the DC with them in, moisturized and sealed by sections with them in. Love them!

Initial impression hit:
CRN Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse. Slippery. Nonstripping. Smells great. Left hair a little undefined, strangely.

Continued hit:
CRN Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment. Actually moisturizing for my hair. Hair was back to being defined after this DC.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Miss:
Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. This made my hair feel really weird. No slippery feel on wet hair. I bought a small travel size from Sally's so I'm not too mad. I may try it again at a later time and use it in a different order.

It was a miss for me to until I mixed it in my hand with a gel before applying, section by section. A lady advised me to try that, and that worked. Otherwise, it's no good for my hair. I have better smoothing/creamy moisturizing stylers now, so it is not a repurchase for me.

JerriBlank

Hit: Keracare Thermal wonder pre poo moisturizing conditioner. Lordy, this is some luxurious stuff! I was hesitant to try it when I saw it a while back. Coconut oil is high up on the list.
Glad I changed my mind! Feels like a salon visit! Makes sense since this is a salon product. Protein free, so I get why they didn't add silk, but that would have taken it to the next step. I'm gonna add some when I use it again. I also used it on some weave hair. Worked like a dream on my hair, as well as the weave. So excited for this product! Going to buy all of them off the shelf tomorrow morning. Lol. It says "pre-poo" but this will be a DC for me. Also replacing Philip Kingsley elasticizer extreme. It is not performing like it used to for me. Thankfully, with Sally coupons, this equals out to a decent price for a luxury DC for me.

Honi

There is no board.
It was a miss for me to until I mixed it in my hand with a gel before applying, section by section. A lady advised me to try that, and that worked. Otherwise, it's no good for my hair. I have better smoothing/creamy moisturizing stylers now, so it is not a repurchase for me.
I was looking on YouTube to see how other ladies used it. Saw one that used it on clean dry hair which was interesting since the instructions said to use it on wet hair. Her results came out nice and defined

I used it on dry hair in the front of my hair with gel on top and the results were better but kinda sticky. I'll try your way and see what happens next wash day.

AgeinATL

Hit: Keracare Thermal wonder pre poo moisturizing conditioner. Lordy, this is some luxurious stuff! I was hesitant to try it when I saw it a while back. Coconut oil is high up on the list.
Glad I changed my mind! Feels like a salon visit! Makes sense since this is a salon product. Protein free, so I get why they didn't add silk, but that would have taken it to the next step. I'm gonna add some when I use it again. I also used it on some weave hair. Worked like a dream on my hair, as well as the weave. So excited for this product! Going to buy all of them off the shelf tomorrow morning. Lol. It says "pre-poo" but this will be a DC for me. Also replacing Philip Kingsley elasticizer extreme. It is not performing like it used to for me. Thankfully, with Sally coupons, this equals out to a decent price for a luxury DC for me.

I looked up the ingredients and was impressed but then I saw that it is only sold in the packets. I need for them to sell an 8 oz. or something. Don't make products for black hair and sell it ONLY in packets.

JerriBlank

I looked up the ingredients and was impressed but then I saw that it is only sold in the packets. I need for them to sell an 8 oz. or something. Don't make products for black hair and sell it ONLY in packets.

I agree. Wholeheartedly. Which is why I calculated the costs the way that I did. I hate the packets. I think that companies feel like individual packets can be marketed as special treatments. That's the 2nd reason why I didn't get it before. I don't even care about the packet thing now. :lol:
I searched and saw that this is the only way that it is sold. Hopefully,they change their minds and bottle it like ORS did for their yellow packets.
I'm sold on it forever. Lol. I got a handful of packets, whatever was on the shelf. Waiting for a 20 or 30% off everything sale from Sally's so that I can clean up in my city. Lol

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Continued Hits:
- 3 row comb from Sally's for detangling. Slides through my hair like butter. Root to tip. No breakage.
- APB honey body glaze for sealing my hair:drool:
- APB blueberry cheesecake DC :drool:
-Redken cleansing cream. Bae forever and ever :2inlove:

I went to Sally's to read about the 3 row comb. What does "back-combing" mean? It just CAN'T be what I think it means. :lachen:

• Well balanced for ultimate performance
  • Great as a backcomber
  • Three rows of combs

The Tool Structure 3 Row Styling Comb is a must have hair tool. This incredible styling tools works great to tease hair as well as comb or even act as a brush. The Tool Structure 3 Row Styling Comb perfect for detangling, back-combing or applying mousse or gel.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Comb/SBS-502100,es,pd.html

Aggie

HUGE HIT:

Heavy Sealing my hair for much added moisture to combat SSKs and split ends.
SSI Coriander Fig - a definite repurchase item :yep:

NEITHER A HIT NOR A MISS:

MHC Type 4 Hair Creme - I like this balm but I don't love it. I think my SSI Coriander Fig Balm was better at holding in the moisture longer in my hair during heavy sealing. So when it is done, I will not be repurchasing it. I'm returning to my beloved SSI Coriander Fig Balm soon.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I went to Sally's to read about the 3 row comb. What does "back-combing" mean? It just CAN'T be what I think it means. :lachen:

• Well balanced for ultimate performance
  • Great as a backcomber
  • Three rows of combs
The Tool Structure 3 Row Styling Comb is a must have hair tool. This incredible styling tools works great to tease hair as well as comb or even act as a brush. The Tool Structure 3 Row Styling Comb perfect for detangling, back-combing or applying mousse or gel.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Comb/SBS-502100,es,pd.html
What white folks do to get volume.

Rastafarai

HUGE Miss: Shea Moisture/Nubian Heritage brands

The owner said his piece: he is expanding his market base at the expense of black women. We are excluded from ad campaigns and executive roles in Shea Moisture's management but SM is more than happy to accept our coins.

I have used Shea Moisture hair products once, and that was all it took to not buy them again. It never agreed with my hair, but I was open to their skin products. After hearing the owner's response, his lack of an apology to my sister base, and his audacity to say he helped paved the way for other black-owned hair businesses, I ain't never spending a dime on Shea Moisture again. Deuces, and best wishes with SM's new base of red and blonde-head white women.

Continued Hits: Black women-owned natural hair businesses that were here without the help of Shea Moisture and never forgot their base (Jakeala, Anita Grant, Annabelle Perfect Blends or @Miss Kane , Natty Naturals, Shescentit, Darcy's Botanicals, Karen Body Beautiful, Bee Mine, Camille Rose, Hairveda, Qhemet Biologics, TGIN, J. Moniques, Silk Dreams or @Supergirl, Naturelle Grow) and every other black-owned brand that doesn't throw us black women under the bus after their come up.

Yes, ladies, I am pissed, but I will speak with my pocket.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
HUGE Miss: Shea Moisture/Nubian Heritage brands

The owner said his piece: he is expanding his market base at the expense of black women. We are excluded from ad campaigns and executive roles in Shea Moisture's management but SM is more than happy to accept our coins.

I have used Shea Moisture hair products once, and that was all it took to not buy them again. It never agreed with my hair, but I was open to their skin products. After hearing the owner's response, his lack of an apology to my sister base, and his audacity to say he helped paved the way for other black-owned hair businesses, I ain't never spending a dime on Shea Moisture again. Deuces, and best wishes with SM's new base of red and blonde-head white women.

Continued Hits: Black women-owned natural hair businesses that were here without the help of Shea Moisture and never forgot their base (Jakeala, Anita Grant, Annabelle Perfect Blends or @Miss Kane , Natty Naturals, Shescentit, Darcy's Botanicals, Karen Body Beautiful, Bee Mine, Camille Rose, Hairveda, Qhemet Biologics, TGIN, J. Moniques, Silk Dreams or @Supergirl, Naturelle Grow) and every other black-owned brand that doesn't throw us black women under the bus after their come up.

Yes, ladies, I am pissed, but I will speak with my pocket.

Unfortunately, yep. It wasn't the commercial for me. It's the staffing and his mouth. Just wow. I just can't.

So . . .

Hit: Learning about additional brands, especially those owned by black women

Miss: SM causing me to need a replacement for their body wash (husband's HG), face moisturizer (HG!), tinted moisturizer (HG!), and hipo masque (HG!).