APL or Longer Ladies: how do you recover from damage?

Missi

Over the past couple of months....i realized that my hair is becoming damaged. When i co-wash: the area of my hair (under the ponytail) is extremely fuzzy & frizzy. When I roller-set....its that back area that are fuzzy. The rest of my hair lays smoothly on the rollers.
Is it because the hair under the ponytail spot isn't laying smoothly against my head after a co-wash that when I finally rollerset....its rough, frizzy, and doesn't lay smooth?

Also...i heard anesthesia causes damage and I had surgery done in March..could that be the culprit....

Ladies how do you recover from damage...while keeping your length?

Texlaxers: is there a certain length where co-washing becomes damaging?

pri

what has helped me to recover from any damage which I had a lot of pre-hair board days I started w/ a nice cut and started faithfully washing/dc'n weekly w/ heat.

msa

Over the past couple of months....i realized that my hair is becoming damaged. When i co-wash: the area of my hair (under the ponytail) is extremely fuzzy & frizzy. When I roller-set....its that back area that are fuzzy. The rest of my hair lays smoothly on the rollers.
Is it because the hair under the ponytail spot isn't laying smoothly against my head after a co-wash that when I finally rollerset....its rough, frizzy, and doesn't lay smooth?

I'm kind of confused by what you're asking.

When you say the area under the ponytail is fuzz/frizzy...do you mean the area of hair in the middle of your head? Like on the inside? If so, when you cowash maybe you're not being diligent about applying enough conditioner to that area so it's not getting moisturized like the outside part. Also, since it's not really being smoothed down as often as the outside, it's not going to lay down as easily.

Now if you mean your nape hair, then it could be that it's not getting enough moisture as well. Also, be careful that your body soap/wash isn't getting on your hair in the back and causing it to dry out (which would lead to frizzy/fuzzines).

Missi

[/INDENT]I'm kind of confused by what you're asking.

When you say the area under the ponytail is fuzz/frizzy...do you mean the area of hair in the middle of your head? Like on the inside? If so, when you cowash maybe you're not being diligent about applying enough conditioner to that area so it's not getting moisturized like the outside part. Also, since it's not really being smoothed down as often as the outside, it's not going to lay down as easily.

Now if you mean your nape hair, then it could be that it's not getting enough moisture as well. Also, be careful that your body soap/wash isn't getting on your hair in the back and causing it to dry out (which would lead to frizzy/fuzzines).

yes :yep:..... and I just find it frustrating that when I rollerset....its difficult rollersetting that area and I get more breakage from picking it straight to lay smooth on the roller (which it never does :wallbash:)

msa

yes :yep:..... and I just find it frustrating that when I rollerset....its difficult rollersetting that area and I get more breakage from picking it straight to lay smooth on the roller (which it never does :wallbash:)

When you cowash/dc/moisturize do you make sure to separate your hair and get that whole area? Surprisingly, a lot of people don't. Haphazardly slapping the condish on, or only focusing on the ends, doesn't really get it everywhere (even when we think it does).

Missi

When you cowash/dc/moisturize do you make sure to separate your hair and get that whole area? Surprisingly, a lot of people don't. Haphazardly slapping the condish on, or only focusing on the ends, doesn't really get it everywhere (even when we think it does).

sometimes... I just rollersetted my hair today: and i co-washed (half-a$$ed) thursday and friday. I only slathered it on the top to get me through the day w/o poofy hair

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
mine was like that until i started separating the hair in my crown into sections, then moisturizing. most people skimp on moisturizing that area, just slathering it on the back, sides, and top. that could be why the middle is so rough, like msa said.

prospurr4

Ladies how do you recover from damage...while keeping your length?

To keep your length while recovering from damage, I suggest you DC and moisturize, thoroughly and regularly. If your ends are damaged, you can "hide" them in protective or curly styles, until you feel comfortable about trimming off the damage.
Texlaxers: is there a certain length where co-washing becomes damaging?
I'm texlaxed and co-wash almost exclusively (as opposed to washing with shampoo), and I don't find it to be damaging at all. However, I only co-wash once a week...maybe you should decrease the number of co-washes you do per week.