APL 2012 Challenge

kupenda

How many times did you tea rinse? I did it once. Wasn't sure how often to do it. Then I forgot to pick up more tea bags. Can I do it every other day?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

newnyer

All this dye talk is making me want to dye mine again lol

I used to rinse and/or dye mine all the time but that's when I was going to the salon religiously. I'm so scared doing it now will cause a setback. Looking @ you ladies gives me hope...but I'm still going to wait it out. Lol

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

Evolving78

How many times did you tea rinse? I did it once. Wasn't sure how often to do it. Then I forgot to pick up more tea bags. Can I do it every other day?

whenever you wash or cowash. just make sure you condition afterwards. i would suggest once or twice a week, until you get the situation under control. make sure you use Black Tea.

kupenda

Thanks! I will try again. Im heading out to the store today to get a big box of tea.

Just wanted to say that I think my hair is long enough for *dun dun dunnnnnn* a banana clip!!! Gonna pick one up today. Hope I don't look crazy lol

newnyer

Ok- random thought #1- I really need to learn how to sleep a little better. Lol. I can NEVER keep my satin scarves on throughout the night. I have satin pillowcases but I need to keep my edges/bun smooth during the week.

#2: I know we are always going to get the "you can't grow long hair" hate until we prove it, but dang it's funny how the comments keep coming. Now that I'm starting to grow healthy hair, it's starting to change from, "you can't do it" to "I thought you looked cute w/ short hair" or "I wouldn't want hair that long (APL-BSL) if I were you- I mean, it's too much to manage & have less options." Aren't you the same person that went bananas over my 18 inches of weave I got installed last year??! Wouldn't it be even better if I could grow my own hair that length?! I'm too through.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

chelleypie810

Starting to protective style again. Thinking of goin bk to half wigs. Been bunning for the past 2 wks. Dunno what to do with the hair underneath the wig...where can I find a satin wig cap?

jayjaycurlz

I too am PSing this winter. I've had my kinky twists in for 1 week now. Hoping to take them out end of Feb, do protein treatment and then braid it right back up before March break with the kids. So not missing my hair as much as I thought I would. Mission APL in 2012 is in full effect! :grin:

kupenda

I picked up some coffee beans. Im gonna make myself some coffee oil. Anyone know how to use it tho lol. Can it stay on the scalp or does it need to me rinsed off immediately?

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I blowdried my hair for the first time since beginning my HHJ in 2011. :grin: SO I'm going to update my starting pic with one I took today (the last one was a bit blurry).

(imma delete my old one)

NikkiQ

I blowdried my hair for the first time since beginning my HHJ in 2011. :grin: SO I'm going to update my starting pic with one I took today (the last one was a bit blurry).

(imma delete my old one)

Looks like you have a little over 2" til you hit APL. Nice!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

NikkiQ

Happy MLK Day ladies :yep:

Still rockin my Celies. DH is teasing me though lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

EasypeaZee

Okay ladiesssss in a few hours im planning to do my first black tea rinse. Is there anything I should look out for? I plan on cowashing, putting in the rinse and then adding my dc to it and then air drying before retwisting my hair. Let me know what you ladies think!

blueberryd

Sooo yesterday I applied my sulfur mix to my scalp along with ion moisturizing condish on dry hair. Covered for about 3 hours. Took off shower cap and sat under steamer for 15 mins then applied olive oil and sat under steamer another 15 mins...cowashed with cheapie suave...applied lacio lacio and rollerset with lotta body...sat under dryer for 45 mins.

Hair is incredibly soft! Will continue this reggie for 3 months (sulfur, prepoo w moisturizing cond, steam, oil, steam, cowash, lacio lacio, rollerset/lottabody). Should sleep with bonnet on head or something--you can see in the pics the curls in the back are smooshed. lol

I just ordered a crapload of products (mostly oils, aphogee, ORS)--won't be ordering/buying ANYTHING for my hair until at least June 2012--except maybe lacio lacio.

Vitamins to start this week:
MSM
Biotin
Multi
Iron

Attachments

• DSC00719.jpg
    DSC00719.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00714.jpg
    DSC00714.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00715.jpg
    DSC00715.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 32

BlkOnyx488

EasypeaZee **in my best Ateeya Voice** "Dis is wut I do!:grin:

I saturate my hair with the black tea. then I tie two shopping bags on my head, two gets my head hotter. Then I sit under the dryer for about 10mins
Then I add the DC and sit under the dryer longer like 30 mins or 45min.

Then Rinse!!
I am loving the results
2 weeks into my individual Braid install and NOOOO shedding woot woot!!!

Okay ladiesssss in a few hours im planning to do my first black tea rinse. Is there anything I should look out for? I plan on cowashing, putting in the rinse and then adding my dc to it and then air drying before retwisting my hair. Let me know what you ladies think!

Evolving78

just use it as a rinse. don't let it sit on your hair for more than a min or two. rinse well and then dc. and don't steep the tea for too long. just 4-6mins. and use 1-2 tea bags.

Imani

Been trying out other styles since I'm tired of my wig. So far I've been rocking buns during the week and maybe a loose ponytail or kind of like a puff on the weekend. All on twisted out hair.

I would love to rock a style with all of my hair loose one day. Have never done that. With my heat damage in the front, and different textures and stuff I just assumed it would look a hot mess not pulled back some kind of way. But I've been playing around with it and I may be able to figure out a cute way to do it. Since I haven't been straightening the front to blend with half wigs anymore, its starting to curl up more and not have that heat damaged look as much.

Wore a twist out this weekend to a party with all my hair loose. :grin: It was cute, got lots of compliments. It was shrunken some and wild by the end of the party. (it was packed and sweaty but I had fun).

And no I don't have pics, lol. I don't show my face online. And since I have a Macbook now and no MS Paint, I don't even know how to edit my face out. :lol:

I'm still style challenged but I'm learning and trying stuff and think I'm finally starting to have more fun with my hair. :yep: I love having more length, makes it easier for style challenged folks like me to come up with styles.

Last edited:

Poutchi

Hey Ladies...
I am have been MIA for a while ... I was on vacation in my home country ( Niger) for a Month... sadly, three days before i left for my planned vacation, one of my sisters passed away... It s been rough but as time goes by it is getting better, we re adjusting to the situation...
I have put in some micros in my hair while there, they are super tiny and I should get a picture up for you to see... I am hoping to have them until end of this semester ( end of april, and hopefull end of may)... I am just scared about my edges but they are super light so there is no pulling what so ever.
Hope every one had a great christmas and Happy new year to all

BlkOnyx488

Hey Ladies...
I am have been MIA for a while ... I was on vacation in my home country ( Niger) for a Month... sadly, three days before i left for my planned vacation, one of my sisters passed away... It s been rough but as time goes by it is getting better, we re adjusting to the situation...
I have put in some micros in my hair while there, they are super tiny and I should get a picture up for you to see... I am hoping to have them until end of this semester ( end of april, and hopefull end of may)... I am just scared about my edges but they are super light so there is no pulling what so ever.
Hope every one had a great christmas and Happy new year to all

:bighug: my condolences to your family

EasypeaZee

EasypeaZee **in my best Ateeya Voice** "Dis is wut I do!:grin:

I saturate my hair with the black tea. then I tie two shopping bags on my head, two gets my head hotter. Then I sit under the dryer for about 10mins
Then I add the DC and sit under the dryer longer like 30 mins or 45min.

Then Rinse!!
I am loving the results
2 weeks into my individual Braid install and NOOOO shedding woot woot!!!

Thanks!! I'm air drying as we speak! I plan on using garnier putty to hold my twists so I'll post a picture when I'm done retwisting!

kupenda

I brewed up two pitchers of tea. One black, one rooibos. I'm also gonnamake some coffee oil. Just cuz it smells nice lol. I read that it has no caffeine so is therefore useless for stimulating the follicles. But I think I'm gonna run a little water through the beans and add that to my pre poo spritz before making the oil

Hi, I am completely new here!

~Current hair length - Barely SL. I wore my hair in braids for 14 months until it was completely natural. My hair was completely wrecked by a stylist before I had any idea about proper hair care. I'm talking a huge patch of hair 1 cm long in the center of my head. So I braided it up and left it alone for a while. I relaxed it again and had it trimmed in December 2011 and this length is the result.

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - Texlaxed. This wasn't intentional but I was so scared of a repeat of the bad relaxer that I used conditioner over my whole head pre-relaxer and declared I was burning at 20 minutes on the dot. Now I have discovered that I LOVE the result of the underprocessing. My hair is fine to begin with and this is much better for me than bone straight.

~APL goal month - December. My whole life I have never been longer than SL, even as a child with natural hair. Being on LHCF makes me think perhaps I can grow my hair past what I thought was my terminal length - SL. But still my expectations are low...until I see some results! LOL!

~Current Reggie and styling choices

Sundays

- hot oil pre-poo (jojoba on scalp, EVOO on strands)
- shampoo (Elasta QP Conditioning creme shampoo)
- mild protein treatment (Aphogee 2 minute)
- moisturizing DC for 1 hour with heat (Elasta DPR-11 mixed with EVOO)
- apply leave-in (S-curl no-drip Activator Moisturizer followed by Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil creme)
- air dry using scarf method

Wednesdays

- shampoo (Elasta QP conditioning creme shampoo. every other week, add one clarifying wash)
- DC for 1 hour with heat (ORS Replenishing Conditioner mixed with EVOO)
- leave-ins and air dry

Fridays

- co-wash (DPR)
- leave-ins and air dry

Daily

- moisturize and seal at night in sections (S-curl no-drip Activator Moisturizer followed by Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil creme followed by jojoba oil)
- no direct heat
- ponies and tuck ends under (not long enough to bun) or bantu knots for protective styles

Relaxers

- moderate protein one week pre-relaxer (Aphogee 2 minute left on for 5 minutes)
- coat strands to protect them (DPR-11 followed by Vaseline) one hour before relaxer
- coat new growth with ORS one hour before relaxer
- moderate protein 2 days post-relaxer
- attempting 8 week stretch

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
I'm beginning to think I'm doing the Aphogee too regularly, so cut that back to every other week. Also switching to CON Argan Oil shampoo when my Elasta QP runs out.

~Post a beginning picture

Last edited: