APL 2012 Challenge

NikkiQ

I can't imagine not PSing. I've done it so long that it just second nature. Especially slappin on a wig and heading out the door :lol:

TruMe

With the length of my hair now I haven't found a way of bunning that makes me comfortable with tucking my ends :nono:...anyone have any tips, suggestions?

@blcbuty@ - Those french braids are very, very nice looking!! I also feel you on not liking buns at a certain length. For me, I was able to get over that hurdle by using one of those stretchy combs as a band which made the ponytail a lot bigger and then just tuck the ends and secure with A LOT of pins. This gave it a full look. I NEVER used an actual hair band because it made my bun look like a small knot on my head. I can send you my video of me doing it if you want.

TruMe

I think I'm the only one not PSing in this challenge.

I think after this bunning challenge that I'm in I won't be doing anymore protective styles, at least in the sense of buns, twists or braids. Only when I really feel like it as a product of being lazy. It doesn't seem to make that much of a difference for me as long as I am consistent with my washes. Come April I will be back to wash and go's so I will be with you. :grin:

SavannahNatural

@blcbuty@ - Those french braids are very, very nice looking!! I also feel you on not liking buns at a certain length. For me, I was able to get over that hurdle by using one of those stretchy combs as a band which made the ponytail a lot bigger and then just tuck the ends and secure with A LOT of pins. This gave it a full look. I NEVER used an actual hair band because it made my bun look like a small knot on my head. I can send you my video of me doing it if you want.

Please do! I'm curious!

gforceroy

After looking at peoples starting pics I think I am one of the few that has more than an inch of growth to attain to get to APL..... :(

faithVA

I can't imagine not PSing. I've done it so long that it just second nature. Especially slappin on a wig and heading out the door :lol:

I'm way to lazy not to protective style. I did a week of twist outs and I was done. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is twist my hair. And when I get up the last thing I want to do, is do anything to my hair. Yesterday I just threw a loc soc over my twists.

I have already determined that when my hair is longer, it will spend most of its life in a single braid. It will be washed, conditioned and worn in said braid. :yep:

faithVA

After looking at peoples starting pics I think I am one of the few that has more than an inch of growth to attain to get to APL..... :(

Don't be sad gforceroy. With as many people in this challenge, there are quite a few of us. So no worries. There will be a few that graduate in the first quarter, but most of us will need a lot longer to get to APL. And we will all be right here hanging out having fun. :yep:

kupenda

I have way more than an inch before I get there! Matter of fact, I dusted a little bit last night and then sorta eyeballed my length. I would say about four inches before I get there in the front. I'm not sure in the back, I haven't straightened in forever and I can't see back there anyway. Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

NikkiQ

gforceroy don't be down and out lady. We're all at different lengths and have different growth rates. We're gonna be here until everyone makes it to APL. We won't leave anyone behind...

pookaloo83

Yeah, I just do braidouts and twistouts. I think I'll go back to putting mini twists in, but I was in that challenge so long I feel like I need a lil break I guess. Lol it feels good to be free! :lol:

NewHairWOWeave

@blcbuty@ And here I was upset before because I couldnt get them in the right position and not tight enough. and then I suddenly got it. If I was to do the back first then I can move to the front have have really good parts and straight rollers.. lol... but It has cut down on the breakage from the pins and hair being caught because hair is every where.

coolsista-paris

hi ladies!!!!! ive being reading y'all but....as i say i am wayyy so busy. hope you are all fine????! THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS yeahhh let me celebrate this
:yahoo: at last ! Apl. ok but its not over yet...setbacks can happen easily sooo i gotta take good care of my hair and whole body.

gforceroy : you can make it. i also thought id never get here (actually seeing where i began i should have been apl some time ago)... but anyway, let me not regret anymore.

im still learning on what my hair like. my new resolution : EAT WELL (lots of veggies & fruits +water + MASSAGING MY SCALP every day. it feels so good and takes the stress of the day away. (DO IT)! helps the hair, helps get stress away...(my job stresses me out like hell, the people there stress me out) ive been having high blood pressure (bad....) anyway WE CAN ALL MAKE IT

kittenz

I'm way to lazy not to protective style. I did a week of twist outs and I was done. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is twist my hair. And when I get up the last thing I want to do, is do anything to my hair. Yesterday I just threw a loc soc over my twists.

I have already determined that when my hair is longer, it will spend most of its life in a single braid. It will be washed, conditioned and worn in said braid. :yep:
I'm lazy too, I twist my hair Friday or Saturday and take them out Sunday night before bed. Monday-Friday all I do is mist and fluff :lachen: No re-twisting everynight for me.

NewHairWOWeave

I have a lot to get to APL but I wont sweat it beacuse the ladies on LHCF are really supportive. I was in this challenge last year and had a huge setback. Now im back again and really going for it. We can be growth buddies and check in with each other. :grin::grin:

NikkiQ

Yay! Growth buddies! NewHairWOWeave you gotta be sure to keep her butt chugging along. Rule #1 in this challenge: THINK POSITIVE!!!

"I will make APL"
"I will swang til I hurt my neck"
"I will be the ish and no one will be able to tell me a THANG!!!"

NewHairWOWeave

All I keep reminding my self is I need a seamless comb and some bomb deep conditioner that gives me the best slip. I think im going for Miss Keys 10 en 1 or Silicon Mix, What u ladies think ? I can use suggestions?

NikkiQ

^^^Haven't used any of those before. Are those the Dominican products that some ladies talk about? I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to those products :lol:

indarican

so i finally found a way to tie up my hair for long periods under my wigs and im so freaking excited!!!! i was a bit skeptical last night when i put them in but im so on the banding train. I think ill be able to leave these in for at least two weeks since my real hair never sees the light of day anyway. I can cowash, shampoo and dc in them...so awesome. i finally can really visualize my hair growing. Im so freaking excited!!

LadyRaider

I don't think I'm protective styling per se. I have never worn weave and doubt I'd feel comfortable. The one time I got braids (with extensions) I took them out at a day and a half. I have tried wigs, but don't feel comfortable either.

Still, I try to keep my hair off my shoulders, and try to leave it alone as much as possible. There's a cutie pie here that grew really long hair by wearing updos/puffs. I hope I can do it like she did.

kittenz

:blush:My co-worker just asked to touch my hair:grin: She said it looked soft and shiney:grin: Okay, I'm gonna calm down now...:rolleyes:

SN: We're friends.

NewHairWOWeave

@NewHairWOWeave I heard the silicon mix was really good, havent tried it myself. I havent really heard much about the 10 en 1

^^^Haven't used any of those before. Are those the Dominican products that some ladies talk about? I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to those products :lol:

Yes these are the the products ladies in here are talking about. Im rember them from my days at the salon.. Let me post the question in the Donincan Products post.

faithVA

I'm lazy too, I twist my hair Friday or Saturday and take them out Sunday night before bed. Monday-Friday all I do is mist and fluff :lachen: No re-twisting everynight for me.

Yeah my ends would act a fool. I can't let them play together more than a day, they start fighting. Maybe when my hair gets longer. My hair doesn't really fluff :look: My shrinkage is major even after stretched. So after the 2nd day my twist out is just a twa :nono:

We gotta do what we gotta do.

Khaiya

NikkiQ I've never used the stocking cap, I can keep my roots pretty neat but the ends unravel sometimes so I'm gonna just band them so they don't and that should b fine. May try the cap tho.