APL 2012 Challenge

diadall

Why is it so hard for me to find a product for my buns that don't give me hard hair? I tried Queen Helen curling cream for my bun and my hair is hard and stuck together.

afroette

Alright, I am joining, though my crown hair is only just past my ear and I probably won't be APL by the year's end.

~Current hair length-----SL for most hair, Ear length to between ear-length and neck length for crown hair

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd----Relaxed

~APL goal month---Shoot, if I could get there in a year even but this challenge ends December 31, 2012 so let me choose that date for sh!ts and giggles

~Current Reggie and styling choices--Um, I don't have a set reggie really. I am DC'ing once a week with protein and moisture and M&S'ing daily. Also have started cowashing on days I work out, which is most days recently. I do protective styles everyday.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?---Don't know. Maybe try MN or MT on my scalp.

~Post a beginning picture

afroette

Sorry for the enormity of the pictures

BEAUTYU2U

I just bought a first wig, well first wig in a while :) I'm pretty excited about it. I sent a pic to my mom and she said she hated it lol...it's a wig called viva if any of u are familiar with it. I ordered it from clairhair, hope it's here for me to wear next wk.

I'm cowashing tonite, not sure what else.

Nice. I went to a wig shop and bought Supertini for $25. My mother has an irrational hate for wigs so I feel your pain lol.

Mjon912

So I found a protective style that allows me to wear braids but keep them covered...my fav braid going across the front and I put another one on the other side and box braids in the back with the box braids covered with a beanie...to bad I thought of this at the end of my stretch...womp womp

ForumRunner_20120614_233712.jpg what the front will look like, ill wear a black beanie tho ***excuse the tired face...I keep odd hours, sleep at 4am up at 8:30 is the norm for me even though I'm exhausted add the glass of wine I had with dinner and I could drop at any second now

ForumRunner_20120614_233806.jpgthis is the back/what's under my beanie

I'm so excited, thanks NikkiQ, I saw your pic the other day and it lead me to doing this =)

Meritamen thanks for the chlorine remover shampoo!!!
Fyne happy belated birthday!!! Your up do looks nice:yep: ahhh how far are you into insanity, I started with my bf 2 months ago but he doesn't do it regularly and I need the motivation =\... I'd love to have a partner :grin: and congrats on everything else going on!!!
NikkiQ your braids are looking good, your makin me wanna try to do this...it'd probably take me 5days tho...how long will this last?

Last edited:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
You're very welcome @Mjon912. You look cute in your little beanie, I have a nice collection myself. :yep:
@Meritamen I haven't trimmed since January 2012 too and am wondering if I will need one this Summer once I reach my 6 month HHJ Anniversary. I had no idea what I was doing in January just simply cut straight for even ends and the results were pretty good thank goodness :lol:

How much might you trim?
I don't think I will need to cut that much off this time around maybe a 1/2". I don't trim to keep it even I just trim anything that looks damaged - splits, knots, ragged ends - all of it has to go. I'm sure my hair is probably a bit choppy but one pro of having kinky hair is that shrinkage hides that anyway. :grin:
I still can't put my hair in a bun. Booooooooooooooo!
I can't either at least not without pulling on the perimeter too much which is no bueno. Maybe closer to BSL it will be possible.

Last edited:

BEAUTYU2U

I'm seeing a trim in the very near future. I could feel the dead ends after my hot oil treatment. It's harder after conditioner cause it makes everything soft. But the HOT makes the dead ends feel "greasy dry." Y'all know what I mean? Like the Pink Lotion feeling. :yawn:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I'm seeing a trim in the very near future. I could feel the dead ends after my hot oil treatment. It's harder after conditioner cause it makes everything soft. But the HOT makes the dead ends feel "greasy dry." Y'all know what I mean? Like the Pink Lotion feeling. :yawn:
Ew, I don't miss that feeling. Still have a bottle of Pink Lotion around here somewhere cold, hungry, and all alone. :lol: I'm not quiet at the crispy ends stage just yet but it's coming.

claud-uk

hi afroette :wave: Are you taking any vitamins? They're what got me from EL/NL to SL in two months (I'm on Biotin and MSM) although it took maybe 3 weeks to actually start to notice the growth. I highly doubt I would have made it otherwise, it's got to be worth a try?

Did a WGO/EVOO/Coconut/Carrot oil pre-poo yesterday, then an emergency light protein treatment bc as I was applying the oil I was getting major breakage - gotta stop that **** right in its tracks. I do a protein tt every week even though I only have 1-3" relaxed ends left bc I really like the way protein makes my hair feel... it sort of suits my hair texture if that makes sense. My hair has no number/letter combo, its just real kinky and really wirey... sort of like the old cassette tape or Asian beard hair :lachen:

Rinsed the protein tt after 5 minutes, then a nice DC of Keracare Humecto and Argan Oil. That was yesterday early evening - gonna rinse it out maybe lunchtime today.

Last edited:

Blairx0

I had the REALEST dream about having WL hair. It was so real I woke up to make sure all of my long flowing hair was safely in ny scarf. Imagine my surprise when there was no long hair. I was under the cover looking for my precious hair. Gracious I'm going crazy. I have Finland stay off this site and out of my hair before I really go off the deep end.

jprayze

Cowashed and Dc'd with Ors replenishing + honey + apricot oil overnight...love! My hair was so thirsty. Washngo this am...pics while still damp

image-4218454742.jpg

image-2403122655.jpg

image-2074062341.jpg

My ends are so straight in the front. Think these are relaxed ends or stretched from too much heat?

image-1512543527.jpg

These are my ends in the back. Love these :)

image-2721517631.jpg

pookaloo83

Mjon912 said:
So I found a protective style that allows me to wear braids but keep them covered...my fav braid going across the front and I put another one on the other side and box braids in the back with the box braids covered with a beanie...to bad I thought of this at the end of my stretch...womp womp

what the front will look like, ill wear a black beanie tho ***excuse the tired face...I keep odd hours, sleep at 4am up at 8:30 is the norm for me even though I'm exhausted add the glass of wine I had with dinner and I could drop at any second now

this is the back/what's under my beanie

I'm so excited, thanks NikkiQ, I saw your pic the other day and it lead me to doing this =)

Meritamen thanks for the chlorine remover shampoo!!!
Fyne happy belated birthday!!! Your up do looks nice:yep: ahhh how far are you into insanity, I started with my bf 2 months ago but he doesn't do it regularly and I need the motivation =\... I'd love to have a partner :grin: and congrats on everything else going on!!!
NikkiQ your braids are looking good, your makin me wanna try to do this...it'd probably take me 5days tho...how long will this last?

I wear my hair like this too sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

jprayze

Here's the wig I ordered and here's the look I was going for. Thinking of wearing in Dominican Republic - will my head be too hot?

8633_Kelly-Rowland.jpg

viva_M.jpg

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Blairx0 said:
I had the REALEST dream about having WL hair. It was so real I woke up to make sure all of my long flowing hair was safely in ny scarf. Imagine my surprise when there was no long hair. I was under the cover looking for my precious hair. Gracious I'm going crazy. I have Finland stay off this site and out of my hair before I really go off the deep end.

Lol, a sure sign of a hair addict. I think we've all gone a little nuts about our hair. I love it though. Besides, if we're crazy hair addicts, our daughters will be too...and their daughter...and their daughters...until we have made generations of healthy short or long hair conscious ladies in our communities. CHEERS TO STAYING CRAZY ABOUT OUR HAIR!!!

NikkiQ

jprayze said:
Cowashed and Dc'd with Ors replenishing + honey + apricot oil overnight...love! My hair was so thirsty. Washngo this am...pics while still damp

My ends are so straight in the front. Think these are relaxed ends or stretched from too much heat?

These are my ends in the back. Love these :)

LOVE your curls! The straight ends look like a few relaxed ends that escaped your last trim.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

TruMe

diadall - Have you tried KCCC? This is what I use every day for my buns along with a scarf for about 20 minutes. It seems to do the trick for me and then when it's time to take out the bun at night, no hardness at all.

On another note, am I the only one here that doesn't trim at all? I keep thinking that maybe I should be but never really get around to it. I look at my ends every now and then and they look just fine. Sure I have some SSKs but they don't really bother me too much. Idk.

Carmelella

I noticed that my edges is a tad thin, I don't know how though because I don't relax and I had been wearing bangs (weave) for months with no manipulation of my edges.

I think I'll start doing massages twice a day and minoxidil once a day or every other day. I have to be careful with the minoxidil because I get frequent migraines naturally and the minoxidil will only add to that. I'm hoping that since its only my edges headaches won't be a problem.

Pics to come.

NikkiQ

View attachment 154589 what the front will look like, ill wear a black beanie tho ***excuse the tired face...I keep odd hours, sleep at 4am up at 8:30 is the norm for me even though I'm exhausted add the glass of wine I had with dinner and I could drop at any second now

View attachment 154591this is the back/what's under my beanie

I'm so excited, thanks @NikkiQ, I saw your pic the other day and it lead me to doing this =)

@Meritamen thanks for the chlorine remover shampoo!!!
@Fyne happy belated birthday!!! Your up do looks nice:yep: ahhh how far are you into insanity, I started with my bf 2 months ago but he doesn't do it regularly and I need the motivation =\... I'd love to have a partner :grin: and congrats on everything else going on!!!
@NikkiQ your braids are looking good, your makin me wanna try to do this...it'd probably take me 5days tho...how long will this last?

My Celies pic motivated you to do this?? :lol: I feel special for motivating you. Celies under a beanie is a great protective style. Plus the way you're rockin it is super cute! Hopefully I can keep these not so mini braids in for at least a month or so. They already look fuzzy, but I don't really care. I'm living in Puerto Rico and 99% of my time is being spent in the house cleaning and painting. DH knows I'm not trying to be stylish around the house. Hell he's lucky I'm not lookin like a crazy bush woman with all this mess going on :lachen:

NaturalfienD

TruMe said:
diadall - Have you tried KCCC? This is what I use every day for my buns along with a scarf for about 20 minutes. It seems to do the trick for me and then when it's time to take out the bun at night, no hardness at all.

On another note, am I the only one here that doesn't trim at all? I keep thinking that maybe I should be but never really get around to it. I look at my ends every now and then and they look just fine. Sure I have some SSKs but they don't really bother me too much. Idk.

TruMe~ You're not the only one who does not trim … I believe that my last trim was in late 2011 or super early 2012. It hit me that I would interfere with my retention if I trimmed on a schedule. For some, trimming combats tangled ends but with the texture of my hair, I will have SSKs no matter if I trim every month/every other month. I only dust my hair if I have bunches of SSKs but it does not happen often for me.

afroette

I think I'm too scared to add another internal growth aid, in light of some health considerations. Do you ladies think MT, MTG, or hair elixer is the best? I use MT now as a DC. In offering advice, please note that I am not the most careful person, and so application to my scalp would likely also mean application to the roots of my hair. Thanks in advance!

JerriBlank

I'm not in this challenge ( I'm in bsl 2012) but I stay lurking in here and thanking posts. :lol:
You guys are really supportive of each other,and there is always a good vibe up in here. Just wanted to give you ladies a shout out!
*goes back to inexplicable creeper lurker mode*

NikkiQ

Its so easy to apply my MN mix with these braids in! I should've done this a long time ago :yep:

TheNDofUO

In the spirit of creepers. I want to guys to know I'm still here. But exams are killing me and my hair. Next week I'll be back.

NikkiQ

TheNDofUO said:
In the spirit of creepers. I want to guys to know I'm still here. But exams are killing me and my hair. Next week I'll be back.

M&S that hair,slap it into a bun or pony,and knock out those exams lady!