APL 2012 Challenge

I got my hair braided up yesterday....and didnt remember to take my length checks before. :ohwell: I'll take them when I take down these braids in 4 weeks.

Washing the hair tonight. Might do a pull test tonight and compare it to my flat iron pic I'm hoping to take Friday night *fingerscrossed*

i massaged with some castor oil last night then slept with a bag on i may cowash later today or do a full on DC im not sure yet

coolsista-paris - Even with the olive oil, it still seems to be a bit naked after I shampoo. I always put olive oil on before I shampoo and leave it on for about 15 mins but I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be the same afterwards compared to when I do a co-wash midweek. Thanks though.

BronxJazzy - Hmmm, maybe I will try that. Thanks. I'm just real nervous about not using shampoo because I don't want my scalp to itch. But, maybe I won't have that as long as I am using some tea tree oil or something like that in with one of my cowashes once a week.

I don't know, what do you ladies think?

I'll be posting pics later tonight. I steamed and flat ironed last night and my hair is poofing already. I guess I was a little timid with the heat, oh well. It looks alright just a lot of BODY and poof :lol: Not sure what it will look like tomorrow. I think I'm grazing SL :happydance:

coolsista-paris - Even with the olive oil, it still seems to be a bit naked after I shampoo. I always put olive oil on before I shampoo and leave it on for about 15 mins but I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be the same afterwards compared to when I do a co-wash midweek. Thanks though.

BronxJazzy - Hmmm, maybe I will try that. Thanks. I'm just real nervous about not using shampoo because I don't want my scalp to itch. But, maybe I won't have that as long as I am using some tea tree oil or something like that in with one of my cowashes once a week.

TruMe I've yet to Shampoo my hair since starting on a real HHJ this January! Since I have started to use Organic Coconut Oil and do weekly deep conditioning my scalp is in better shape than ever. No dandruff, dry scalp, build up, or flakes, and it has not itched in a long time.

Plus I have no worries on having a clean scalp as I do a cool rinse after my evening workouts :yep:

Natural ladies: when you flat iron your hair, how long does it last or how long do you try to leave it straight before washing?

Relaxed ladies: how often are you guys flat ironing your hair? if you stretch, how far into your stretch do you go before you start relying on other styles to help blend your NG?

I'm just super curious today :giggle:

NikkiQ I usually straighten once s month although I've skipped March to save my ends. I'm 5 weeks post and I rollerset or ponytail as airdrying methods. due to random telaxed bits I can never just leave my hair. I do not have to use curly styles though - not yet

@sajjy Looks like your APL!!!!!! :D :grin::grin:

@livinthevida - I'm not even CBL soooo....yeah im a resident here!

NikkiQ I straighten once a month too and typically relax only twice a year, deep into a stretch I leave the newgrowth alone and dont attempt to comb it; just co-wash bun and go every few days. I tried to go heat free for 3 months and this morning I saw my 1st SSK so back to heat 1x every 4 weeks :look:

Last edited:
Fyne and livinthevida thanx for your support guys :D I feel like i might watching the pot or either growing a snails pace so I've just brought the old formula of Mega-tek. I'll report back with any progress

I did a co-wash last night with John Frieda Full Repair Conditioner and two-strand twist, it was an epic fail:blush:!!!! Some twist came out well where others didn't. I am going to flat iron tonight, I will post length pic then. I am so ready to perm again but my dd wants me to continue in with our transition.:ohwell:

I didn't think I will be there either. I had an inch to go at the end of February, and I've been playing in my hair ever since.

TruMe said:

It might also depend on the brand .i use apoghee. I then tried all ways shampoo which is à natural sort of shampoo.guess What...even with pre poo that natural one left my hair....Bad.felt.stripped.

But as i said i always add oil on my condit .makes my hair soft and moisturized.

Last edited:
NikkiQ said:
Natural ladies: when you flat iron your hair, how long does it last or how long do you try to leave it straight before washing?

Relaxed ladies: how often are you guys flat ironing your hair? if you stretch, how far into your stretch do you go before you start relying on other styles to help blend your NG?

I usually wait 2-3 months but I'm 11 months into a stretch and I've been in nonstop cornrows for about two... It's just too much to deal with on a daily basis on top of school and work

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ok, DCed and blow dried, the whole time i was blowdrying i kept thinking "was this always this must trouble? why didn't i just thread it, it's sooooo much easier and faster!" (true story) neway, i'm done (finally!) saw way too many little pieces, part of why i shoulda just threaded it but i'm done, gonna take some pics a little later on so we can see if i've made any progress.

P.S. Thought about flat ironing it but waaaay too lazy for that now

My friend isn't mentioning flat ironing my hair for me. Gonna have to give my mom a call this evening as a backup plan :nono:

pookaloo and Livinlavida ~ your length checks are looking good!! I bet in June you both will be APL!!! ::Two snaps and around the world::

I am hopeful to be there myself in June ... but I ain't leaving if I do! I want to ride this thing out until October ... at the soonest. :)

Ahhh...washing my hair feels so therapeutic at the end of a hectic day

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

I'm just super curious today :giggle:

I flat once in a blue moon. I like to rollerset my hair. That hides the new growth. Right now i am just airdrying and bunning.

I am doing the twist/bantu knot out featured on Naptural85 (it's an old video), I hope it turns out okay, when I was a heat-straightened natural, I LOVED bantu knot-outs...anyway, just checking in, I took my photos for the March 31st check-in and I think I'll go ahead and post them, here they are:
7e812df0.jpg

67e6682a.jpg

The red lipstick mark is where APL will be on my, so I think I have 2 more inches

And once again, my starting pics:
hair120111.jpg

hair120111no2.jpg

The bottom layers of my hair are NOT doing well, I think I am finally at that stage where I need to worry about fabrics and stuff, both a sad and happy realization for me. Anyway, hope I see some REAL progress in June! Ciao!

Ladies here it is! My most amazing hair transformation in the past 60 days. Scalp massages, gentle care, and finally sticking with a very easy and *real* natural HHJ continues to be the best care my hair has ever seen :yep: Best part of all is how much my thinning hair in my front scalp has improved in just 60 days!!! :woot:

Here are a few updated pics showing my thinning hair slowly disappear beginning January 28, 2012 to March 28, 2012! The health of my hair and scalp is just amaaaaaahziiiing! YAAAAAAAAY! :yay:

Attachments

• 60daysafter_pic1.JPG
    60daysafter_pic1.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 35
  • 60daysafter_pic2.JPG
    60daysafter_pic2.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 60daysafter_pic3.JPG
    60daysafter_pic3.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 29
  • january feb march_60daysafter.JPG
    january feb march_60daysafter.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 44
I am doing the twist/bantu knot out featured on Naptural85 (it's an old video), I hope it turns out okay, when I was a heat-straightened natural, I LOVED bantu knot-outs...anyway, just checking in, I took my photos for the March 31st check-in and I think I'll go ahead and post them, here they are:
67e6682a.jpg

The red lipstick mark is where APL will be on my, so I think I have 2 more inches
[/IMG]

The bottom layers of my hair are NOT doing well, I think I am finally at that stage where I need to worry about fabrics and stuff, both a sad and happy realization for me. Anyway, hope I see some REAL progress in June! Ciao!
itsjusthair88 look at all that hair :) Great idea too! especially for those of us without a t-shirt and measurements to show our growing lengths. The mark of a red lipstick is so classy :)

Back