AO Moisturizing Shampoo- makes hair hard

MRJ1972

I purchased the AO Honeysuckle Rose " Moisturizing" Shampoo and could not wait to try it, however, it make my hair feel kind of hard and tangled...I had to follow it, with another moisturizing shampoo...Did this happen to anyone else?? :perplexed

Did u pre-poo w/ the ao condish 1st? I always did that and it never made my hair hard and tangled. I miss ao :sad: their reg cons started to make my hair shed so I had to stop using them.

Did u pre-poo w/ the ao condish 1st? I always did that and it never made my hair hard and tangled. I miss ao :sad: their reg cons started to make my hair shed so I had to stop using them.

uuuuhhh. no...I guess that was the problem...:nono:

Back to the drawing board!!!! :lachen:

Me too! I don't like their shampoo, but their conditioner is nice. Instead of throwing it away, I use it for body wash.

I use Millcreek Biotene Shampoo and conditioner from the Vitamin Shoppe. Their shampoo is very mild and doesn't make your hair feel hard.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever read a positive review of AO shampoos.

Are you looking for a natural poo or just one without sulfates?

funny you mention AO Honeysuckle Rose...Supergirl J just told me that she used this one and it worked like a clarifying shampoo. even though its supposed to be moisturizing it seems like it has a strong clarifying effect.

I can't use any moisturizing poo. I thought b/c the word moisturizing was on the bottle it wouldn't make my hair hard but this thinking proved me wrong everytime.

I don't think I've ever read a positive review of AO shampoos.

Are you looking for a natural poo or just one without sulfates?

I was trying one without sulfates - mainly for my teenaged daughter since her hair is SUPER DRY!!! but i tried it for myself as well- my hair is kinda oily- and we both got the same results....tangled and hard!!!!!:wallbash:

Any suggestions for a good moisturizing shampoo???

Does it have C-14/C-16 Olefin Sulfonate in it? A lot of the "natural" shampoos do and that ingredient is just as harsh as SLS, it's just derived "naturally".

ETA: Diluted castile soap works well as a shampoo...you can mix some of it in a bottle with water and aloe vera juice and it'll be pretty moisturizing...or honey (kind of like oyin's honey wash, which is a great moisturizing shampoo and body wash).

Does it have C-14/C-16 Olefin Sulfonate in it? A lot of the "natural" shampoos do and that ingredient is just as harsh as SLS, it's just derived "naturally".

I didnt even check...Just jumped on someone else's bandwagon :nono:

I am not using THAT again...I need to find a good moisturizing shampoo for my teenage daughter's extremely dry hair

I didnt even check...Just jumped on someone else's bandwagon :nono:

I am not using THAT again...I need to find a good moisturizing shampoo for my teenage daughter's extremely dry hair

Well just be sure if you use another "natural" shampoo that you check and see if it has that ingredient because you'll probably end up with the same results if you use it.

As far as your daughter's hair, you may have to start pre-treating before you shampoo so that her hair doesn't get completely stripped. Or you could just stop using shampoo.

Have you tried a bit of baking soda in her conditioner? I used to do that with my giovanni (smooth as silk) and oyin conditioners and it worked like a charm. Your hair and scalp get clean but the conditioner keeps it moisturized.

I agree, I hated AO "Moisturizing" Shampoo. I switched to Avalon Organics Revitalizing shampoo and it give me the slip I wanted.

This post is right on time for me because I was just looking at the Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and thinking of getting it. I love the conditioner, so I thought the shampoo would be nice too, but I guess not.:look:

I absolutely LOVE AO HSR Conditioner :grin:. However, I learned the hard way about their shampoos :nono:. I had to throw out the HSR shampoo. It was horrible!! It left my hair dry and brittle. I stuck to my beloved Keracare Hydrating Shampoo. However, I do want to try a sulfate free shampoo soon.

Last edited:
Elasta QP Crème Conditioning Shampoo is a really good moisturizing poo. No sulfates and it makes my hair feel like I just co washed it! NTM poo is a good sulfate free poo too :yep:

Oh, I agree with msa's suggestion to pre poo your dd's hair. You can try coconut or evoo to pre poo with, they're cheap and work wonderfully. Also try shampooing only hair scalp and squeegie the lather down the length of her hair. This way the length of her hair won't get tangled and dry. HTH! :D

i haven't used the ao shampoo but have had excellent results with the conditioner. i use abba pure moisture shampoo and it is moisturizing.

The Honeysuckle Rose shampoo worked fine the first three visits at the salon; but after that it left my wet hair feeling odd. My stylist could not comb it while I was at the bowl. So we just used it for the first wash but not the second wash. I didn't replace it after it was through.

Back